Another Radio Shack Z-Wave sale!

The Trane is just a rebranded RCS thermostat (I actually have 2 ZigBee versions of the same unit), so quality wise you don't have much to worry about. So what Z-Wave dongle should I go with? The new Leviton? Aeon Labs?

I just ordered an Aeon labs one as a backup to my Wayne-Dalton. Might take the plunge and make it the main stick but would have to redo all my events - ugh...

The Aeon stick is a good choice. I don't use it, but I know it supports the new Kwikset locks. I'm still waiting for the new version of the VRC0P that Leviton is supposedly working on with Kwikset.

I'm surprised you have to redo all of your events in Homeseer, just because you switch lighting controllers (I really thought Homeseer would be better designed than that).

In Premise there is a home layer that has all of the specific code for your home; that home layer binds to a device layer. In this manner, you can completely change lighting technologies from UPB to Z-Wave, and still retain the same event code for your home!

All you have to do is rebind each light to the corresponding new device (takes about two clicks per light or you can do it through code and not click at all ;) ). Since most Premise drivers use native predefined classes (like the lighting class), all drivers for Premise act in a similar manner (which is one thing that makes this possible). It's also possible to add completely new properties to a native predefined class through extension (e.g. I can add a fadeRate property to the home lighting class and to the device lighting class).

I just ordered an Aeon labs one as a backup to my Wayne-Dalton. Might take the plunge and make it the main stick but would have to redo all my events - ugh...

No two way feedback/associations is almost a deal killer; however, for the savings, I might have settled on the GE stuff if I hadn't already bought Vizia RF+ dimmers/switches.

Two way feedback is nice because... If a user turns a light on locally, that room's occupancy timeout is reset. Also, if a user manually turns a light off in most rooms, Premise (my HA software) automatically sets occupancy to false for that room. I also use door sensors, motion sensors and A/V receiver state for the same occupancy timers so I know if a room is occupied or not. Works pretty well so far.

Two way feedback is not an issue. Most HA software allows you to poll the device to look for changes. This change would be recognized and then you can trigger macros from it. Two way feedback might give you an extra second of response time. In the example you gave this wouldn't be an issue.

I have owned the 3 way switch from GE for over 2 years. I haven't had any issues with the switch and my wife enjoys using them. I plan on stopping by RS to pick up some new switches. I just recently bought the thermostat on ebay and paid $110.00. That also works really well but took some extra work to get power to the thermostat.

Two way feedback is not an issue. Most HA software allows you to poll the device to look for changes. ...
You are correct but it's more of a deal than you make it out to be. One of the problems is the delay in waiting for a poll. On my Vera the polls are at 90 seconds. That doesn't really pass the SAF test (an X10 device takes roughly 1 second to get a single on command and that's mostly okay). Now most of us have worked around this problem in some way but it can be a problem but as you've stated it's not as big of a problem as most people think.

And, no, I haven't adjusted the poll time. I'm uncertain how long it takes for a poll and response to occur but I've heard that people with lots of Z-Wave (around 50+ devices) may have problems communicating. Since I only have a few I can't tell (and I'm not interesting is experimenting at this time).

This is correct, at least on my 39 node Vizia RF+ network. It can take a second for the polling result to be processed by the VRC0P and sent to my PC. For my 39 node network, I'm fairly certain polling all 39 nodes every few seconds would cause a BUNCH of bad packet transmissions. There are better RS232 controllers than the VRC0P, so it might just be the VRC0P... Based on my experience, I think you should give atleast 40 seconds for a large network when polling; this means at least a 40 second lag time per switch (it's really 40 seconds + some processing time).

Another nice thing about two way feedback is I can monitor for user presses and if there are x presses within x seconds, I can write code to do perform actions. A scenario might be if you toggle a switch at the front door three times, all the lights in the entire house could go out, the tv turn could turn off, the alarm system could arm for away mode, etc... For a small network, there's no reason you can't do something similar though via polling.

And, no, I haven't adjusted the poll time. I'm uncertain how long it takes for a poll and response to occur but I've heard that people with lots of Z-Wave (around 50+ devices) may have problems communicating. Since I only have a few I can't tell (and I'm not interesting is experimenting at this time).

Personally I buy all my in wall switches that support instant status, meaning they report back, and poll my plug in modules about every 5 minutes. My network is not that large at this moment, about 20 devices, but I have read in a lot of cases that trying to poll on a high frequency causes z-wave network jams.

. There are better RS232 controllers than the VRC0P,

Can you suggest any specific ones? I am using the VRC0P with my Elve software. Elve is going to expand their Z-Wave support beyond the VRC0P and I'd like nothing better to make some suggestions as to what might be good to consider.

I too use the Vizia RF+, but only have one dimmer installed just to test it. Seems fine in every respect, except for the Z-Wave protocol not supporting on the fly variable ramp rates like X-10 does.

Can you suggest any specific ones? I am using the VRC0P with my Elve software. Elve is going to expand their Z-Wave support beyond the VRC0P and I'd like nothing better to make some suggestions as to what might be good to consider.

I too use the Vizia RF+, but only have one dimmer installed just to test it. Seems fine in every respect, except for the Z-Wave protocol not supporting on the fly variable ramp rates like X-10 does.

I think there's a new version of the VRCOP (a -LW or something). I have the docs but I don't know much else about it.

Just wanted to report back that I bought three dimmers and two receptacles from RS tonight. Prices were marked down and on clearance. Brought in two coupons and the guy tried to tell me that I couldn't use both. I agreed and then then took two dimmers off the counter and handed the coupon and dimmers to my wife. She purchased the other two to make it legal :)

I plan to stop to another RS to pick up a couple three ways and use another coupon.

2)Both the 3-ways and 2-wire switches are susceptible to malfunction when on the same electrical circuit as a motor such as celing fan or bathroom fan.

Can you recommend a 2-wire dimmer from a brand that won't malfunction when on the same circuit as a motor? I installed one of these GE dimmers in my bathroom and it turns off when I turn on/off my bathroom fan sometimes! :)

Work fine elsewhere, so I can stomach using them elsewhere and paying a bit more for something that won't have this problem next to my fan switch.

- Brian

Well, there's none at the moment that use the same protocol as the VRC0P.

I was thinking about this RS232 controller: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Troller---Z-Wave-Primary-Controller-PC-Interface-HomeSeer-P214C66.aspx I don't have it, but I've read good things about it (i.e. it support lock beaming).

Is this the new version of the VRC0P that supports lock beaming? Any chance you know when it will be available?

I think there's a new version of the VRCOP (a -LW or something). I have the docs but I don't know much else about it.

Leviton Vizia RF+ Dimmer: VRI06. I connected all of mine to ground though so this may be required. Since it uses no neutral, it will only work on incandescent and halogen lamps.

Can you recommend a 2-wire dimmer from a brand that won't malfunction when on the same circuit as a motor? I installed one of these GE dimmers in my bathroom and it turns off when I turn on/off my bathroom fan sometimes! :)

Work fine elsewhere, so I can stomach using them elsewhere and paying a bit more for something that won't have this problem next to my fan switch.

- Brian

- Brian

The Leviton VRI06-1LX Vizia RF+ 600-Watt 2-Wire Dimmer is solid - I have set them up in a number of houses with the bath lights being controlled and the fan being controlled(VRS15-1L) or not controlled(standard switch) never had an issue B)

Well, there's none at the moment that use the same protocol as the VRC0P.

I was thinking about this RS232 controller: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Troller---Z-Wave-Primary-Controller-PC-Interface-HomeSeer-P214C66.aspx I don't have it, but I've read good things about it (i.e. it support lock beaming).

Is this the new version of the VRC0P that supports lock beaming? Any chance you know when it will be available?

The new VRCOP-1LW should be field upgradeable and will support the beaming technology - hopefully it will be out sometime this summer.

The Aeon stick is a good choice. I don't use it, but I know it supports the new Kwikset locks. I'm still waiting for the new version of the VRC0P that Leviton is supposedly working on with Kwikset.

I dont want to get this thread off-topic, but I do have a quick question about this. Do you know, or is there another thread that lists, which controllers work and which dont with the Kwikset locks?

Back