Wired or Z wave Thermostats

I actually got a lot further than i had hoped. Hooked up the last sensor, got the m1xep running, ekeypad m1 is operational, proxy cards are working (with the reader hidden behind drywall!) and running the first few rules. Just purchased the upb components today - hopefully I'll be able to tackle the next chapter of home automation - lights!

In regards to thermostats - I have the omnistat2 hooked up and running, but it's not yet communicating with m1. I think I know the issue - I have the serial expanded plugged in along side the dbh on the panel. I'll be switching it so that it plugs into the dbh instead. (I understand that if you have the dbh - that unlike the keypads, the dbh should be rhe only thing plugged into the panel), I'm hoping that that fixes the communication problem.

Trey at automated outlet tech support has been EXTREMELY helpful. I daresay it's the best technical support I've ever experienced. Reassuring, patient, and informative - exactly what I needed in order to build up confidence and work through what has been a pretty intimidating process. (As a structural engineer - I'm good with working on things I can invision, electrical things and chemistry might as well be "magic".)

I'm now trying to think of a way to control my baseboard heaters that are currently not connected to the thermostats, but are on one if those old school dial controls. Maybe upb and an on/off light switch turning on and off based on readings from a temp probe to the elk? I'll save that for a different thread.

Invigorated by recent progress - I'm pretty pumped up. I'm glad that I ran wires everywhere and just wish I had a bigger budget!

I finally got the radio shack TZEMT400AB32MAA Schlage Trane Thermostat to communicate. A couple hints above worked and I think the important thing is to make sure your thermostat is associated with your VRCOP (attached to elk m1g). THe VRCPG remote communicated after I enrolled the thermostats and had the temp and important information communicating. I couldnt get the ELK web browser to display the temp and setpoints. My VRCPG was 2.5.2 (in handheld under system utilities - advanced - primary utilities - version). I enrolled the tstats and then went into advanced associations and associated them with the VRCOP. I updated all associations thru the vrcpg and updated all the controllers in the system. I then powered the system on and off (including the vrcop) and after it came back up, it worked in the elk browser. THe closest one came up asap and after about 10 mins the other one (farther away) started reporting. Not sure if it had to find a route since it was fairly far away.

PS: all my ELK software (controller, ethernet m1xsp ) is most current as of 2/2/11. I do have some issues with the Java interface not reporting lighting conditions correctly. It also lets me turn lights off but not on. THe elk rules seem to work well.

I finally got the radio shack TZEMT400AB32MAA Schlage Trane Thermostat to communicate.
I had read some success articles for RCS/Trane Z-Wave thermostat, so I thought I would give the 2Gig CT30 a try.

I purchased a 2Gig CT30 (RadioThermostat rebranded) Z-Wave thermostat and have given up trying to get it installed – never mind get it properly integrated with Elk M1XSP/VRC0P. ControlThink 2.5.4 and Leviton RF Installer refuse to even "include/mate" with the thermostat. After playing around with the touchscreen “mate” button (pretty frustrating), ControlThink goes through the include process and displays an error, “Device not included.”

For $170 more, I ordered an OmniStat2 which is a known to work reliably with ElkRP (all thermostat features). I like that fact that OmniStat2 has a motion sensor, a dial, external temp sensor (dual fuel), and supports a wide variety of HVAC equipment.

The only downer is that I have to open up wall and run new wires – not such a big deal because there are already lots of patched walls waiting to be repainted. All the HA stuff has made me pretty handy at drywall repairs :(

Back