Z-Wave on sale?

rusgrafx

So the other day I stopped by in my local RadioShack and saw that ALL Z-Wave gear in on sale with pretty deep discounts.
All GE-branded lighting [dimmers (including 3-way), switches, plug-ins] - go for $9.99. The cameras, deadbolts and Trane thermostats are a bit more expensive, but still ALL marked with red tags.

Is there something wrong with that stuff (recent Z-Wave firmware bug comes to mind).

I never had any personal experience with Z-Wave before, so I was tempted to buy something. :blush: I got a plug-in module (non-dimmable) for $9 and tried to control it with my Logitech Harmony remote - worked like a charm. So I'm thinking to pick up a few more to maybe add to media scenes (like, turning off Watch DVD scene would phisically shut off power to all media gear to save some $$).

Any one knows what's going on with the latest RadioShack's sales of Z-Wave stuff? Are they just cleaning up their inventory or is there something wrong with these items? :blink:

There is a huge thread about this in the Hot Deals forum (thread is even mentioned on the front page ;)), I suggest you read all pages as there is some really good information in that thread. I suggest you post any questions you have in that thread, so all the responses stay together.

Dan,

Thanks for the pointer. I remember reading that thread back in Jan (at the time it was not that huge, and I was not really interested in Z-Wave).

Any way I ended up buying a full bag of Z-Wave goodies for the price of one Insteon dimmer :) and now starting to think about adding Vera to my ISY99 for cross-platform set-up. I don't think ISY will ever support multiple protocols from one box, which makes Vera much more desirable, especially since I learned of Luup. Initially I was under impression that Vera is an "iPhone" of DIY HA controllers - having slick interface and with lots of functionality right out of the box, but not expandable with custom modules. But if Luup is what I believe it to be, then Vera might be the way to go.

Back