The Energy Detective

Well, it also says you can just hardwire up to 100 feet over Cat5.

True but it limits the flexibility of the location of the display vs the location of the PC, considering USB will only go about 6 feet without help. At least there is no power line comm involved to interfere with my x10 and upb.

I got load profiling to function.
It seems that you need to exit the program and the service and restart before stuff starts working.

As far as signaling... I found an outlet downstairs that had good reception. A temporary 50 foot extension cord and I'm in business.
If the new transmitter is not any better, I'm considering running a new circuit upstairs.

I got load profiling to function.
It seems that you need to exit the program and the service and restart before stuff starts working.

As far as signaling... I found an outlet downstairs that had good reception. A temporary 50 foot extension cord and I'm in business.
If the new transmitter is not any better, I'm considering running a new circuit upstairs.
Are you seeing any interference with your X10 devices still?

I have not approached that yet.
I thought I saw an issue 1 time, but was not able to reproduce.

UPDATE: The replacement transmitter that was promised sent on Tuesday, and then after my call yesterday was promised to be sent... has yet to leave TED.
This company is the pits to deal with. When you call on the phone they don't even know how to answer the phone.... "Hello"? what kind of answer is that for a company?
.....and DONT LIE TO ME! If you are not going to send a part when promised, then DONT PROMISE IT!

Well TED never called back, and UPS still shows the package as not sent.

Now the transmitter is totally dead. No flashing light... nada.
It flashes sometimes when I turn the breaker off and on. Not often.

I'm real happy I ran a dedicated circuit now... :p

Well TED never called back, and UPS still shows the package as not sent.

Now the transmitter is totally dead. No flashing light... nada.
It flashes sometimes when I turn the breaker off and on. Not often.

I'm real happy I ran a dedicated circuit now... :p

Poor customer service will kill a company. Maybe they should have some dealer accounts and let someone else handle the marketing and customer service.

went out for Mcd's and when I returned, it was flashing again....

They ought to take customer service training from Automated Outlet.

Well it looks like there are going to be big issues with X-10 (Much as we surmised and TED claimed did not exist)
I tried switching cameras and 3 of my x-10 lights went on.
The circuits in question were all the cheap x-10 brand and not Leviton.
I'll do some more testing this weekend.

It looks like I may be calling Martin....for UPB

Well it looks like there are going to be big issues with X-10 (Much as we surmised and TED claimed did not exist)
I'll do some more testing this weekend.

It looks like I may be calling Martin....for UPB

I wonder if Insteon will have problems. I was about to order the TED with Mainlobby but now I will hold off until I hear some positive experiences from Insteon users.

Digger,

I have roughly 40 Insteon switches and have not noticed any Insteon issues. In our original research, we couldn't find anyone online with TED and Insteon issues. I did find some reports of X10 and TED issues.

I just wanted to update the thread to say that the replacement transmitter and a return label just arrived via UPS.
I'll replace the unit this weekend and see if that improves the transmission to include other outlets.

I helped pursue this problem with another X10 user some months ago. The fact that TED transmits data over the powerline every second causes interference to X10 communication. Unfortunately, TED documentation doesn't give the details of its transmission.

X10 relies on signal bursts being a logic "1" and the absence of a burst being a logic "0". A complete X10 transmission lasts for 47 powerline cycles (22 cycles for the unit code, 3 cycle gap, and 22 cycles for the function code). If the TED transmission fills up any of those "0" slots with its own signal, that will look like a collision to the receiving X10 module. Unless the X10 transmission squeezes between two successive TED transmissions, it appears that the X10 transmission will be corrupted.

Insteon transmissions are shorter in duration, and are more likely to fit between TED transmissions. The Insteon modulation scheme is also less likely to be corrupted.

Jeff

Back