The Energy Detective

I currently have the older TED upgraded to run the Footprints software. Doing an informal poll to see what experiences others have had with the software(any vers.).

I'm running the Footprints 1.2.6 software. I generally get good results and I can leave the machine running for 3-4 days without needing to reboot. (It's Windows, so what do you expect?)

I'm definitely dropping some readings from time to time though. In the 1-second dumps to CSV, I'd hope to see 86400 readings in a day, but my worst days are actually only about half that -- i.e. dropping 50% of the data.

86167 TED-s-27Feb08.csv
85229 TED-s-28Feb08.csv
84970 TED-s-29Feb08.csv

83151 TED-s-01Mar08.csv
84218 TED-s-02Mar08.csv
83494 TED-s-03Mar08.csv
80590 TED-s-04Mar08.csv
84970 TED-s-05Mar08.csv
82967 TED-s-06Mar08.csv
83221 TED-s-07Mar08.csv
82439 TED-s-08Mar08.csv
80522 TED-s-09Mar08.csv
83772 TED-s-10Mar08.csv
84085 TED-s-11Mar08.csv
84408 TED-s-12Mar08.csv
68054 TED-s-13Mar08.csv
66815 TED-s-14Mar08.csv
77830 TED-s-15Mar08.csv
82865 TED-s-16Mar08.csv
81470 TED-s-17Mar08.csv
73852 TED-s-18Mar08.csv
63845 TED-s-19Mar08.csv
66241 TED-s-20Mar08.csv
55921 TED-s-21Mar08.csv
46474 TED-s-22Mar08.csv
40200 TED-s-23Mar08.csv

As you can see, it started off well, and now it's getting a bit lossy.

I'm not sure whether the fault lies in the serial/USB drivers, the logging application (TEDService.exe), the database application that imports the data from the logger, or elsewhere.
I don't have any Windows software to eavesdrop on the USB packets -- any suggestions?

This is not a very fast machine, but frankly, it shouldn't be. This kind of low-bandwidth logging is a job for an original 8088, not a modern general purpose PC. :lol:

One neat note: TEDService.exe is a true Win XP service, so you don't actually need to log in to the machine or run the TED Footprints application in order to gather data. MDiehl, try letting the machine sit there at the login screen and if the datalogging improves?

eastpole

PS: Thanks for the visits to my Flickr page, CocoonTech folks. I've finally written some perl to turn the silly CSV log files into 24-hour time, so I've replaced the old graph with one that isn't in "Seconds after 9am on Tuesday" but instead reads in actual time of day. :angry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastpole/2299787549/
I have not had any luck accessing the TED database itself, as my comments indicate.

I just installed a TED model 1002. I got the Footprints software but haven't tried it out yet, mostly because I have a Mac. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do like klaxxon and get text-format data from the USB port...

Hey jcm55 -- please let us know on this forum if you do manage to get the TED talking to your Mac. If it can be made to work in Mac OS X, other Unixes beckon. There are some very low-power PCs that we could set up with Ubuntu, like the DecTop. No point running a full PC at 100 W or more when a 5 W box with no moving parts will work fine.

I can't quite place whats going on with the software, but something is producing a Domino effect over a day or so and basically takes everything associated with Footprints down. The logger seems to run OK, and the Hardware is outputting Serial Data, but the rest of the software seems to be developing "Foot Fungus"... No response to a second request for status on the software problem from the co.

Can anyone tell me if this will support a 600 amp service (200x3)? I emailed the manufacturer, but never received a response.

Brian

Can anyone tell me if this will support a 600 amp service (200x3)? I emailed the manufacturer, but never received a response.

Brian,

http://www.theenergydetective.com/store/teds/ted2000.html describes the TED 1002, which is used when you have 200Ax2 service. While the product seems adaptable, I don't think they have it setup for 200Ax3 yet, based on this.
That's quite a bit of power you have there. <_<

I've noticed that sometimes I get very quick response from Energy Inc., and sometimes slow or none. I have to assume it depends on the weather in Charleston NC. :) They're always helpful when they do reply, though. You might give them a phone call: 800.959.5833 toll-free

eastpole

something is producing a Domino effect over a day or so and basically takes everything associated with Footprints down. ... the rest of the software seems to be developing "Foot Fungus"...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Flash Applications. (JMO) Which Windows OS are you running, anyway, MDiehl? I'm not seeing this in my stripped-down Win XP Home w/ SP2.

running Xp Pro Sp2, its running on a Dell 700mhz P3, but I don't think the machine speed should be a problem..

Just picked up a 2.5ghz P4 Dell GX-260 (ebay) for running some Weather Software quicker, I'll try it on it when I get it in next week. Perhaps it will get the "Fungus" faster

Mike

For the next guy that asks. I received a response from the manufacturer.

He told me I would have to purchase a 400 amp unit and a 200 amp unit and run each one on separate computers. Too bad.

Brian

Cinemar now has a full featured plugin and prebuilt user interface for the TED 1001 w/ Footprints software. Footprints is nice if you want to physically connect the TED unit to a different PC than that of the MainLobby 3 Server PC.

http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/mlserver.m...management.html

We should be getting hardware stock back in the first week of September. On order, the plugin license goes out immediately.

Cinemar now has a full featured plugin and prebuilt user interface for the TED 1001 w/ Footprints software. Footprints is nice if you want to physically connect the TED unit to a different PC than that of the MainLobby 3 Server PC.

http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/mlserver.m...management.html

We should be getting hardware stock back in the first week of September. On order, the plugin license goes out immediately.

That may have just put me over the fence to get MainLobby and the TED.

Good Work!

Back