The Energy Detective

.48 would be perfect if the draw was less than 1.

Thanks

Actually, if you're taking requests here, if the draw is really high like 5 or 7KW, could you just lower the draw to maybe 1 or 2? That would really save me quite a bit of money;)

Quick update. I have made the port change and the system tray change. But, I also made some significant code changes to allow the app to utilize async functions when reading TED. All is working, I just have some fine tuning to do. Hopefully tomorrow I will have another drop.

Great Utility Mikla!

BTW, how do you save your own IP address?
There is a new version that I am testing now that will automatically save the config when you close the program. It also has other features, including event monitoring. Here is a pick with event monitoring enabled:
Ted5.png

If you disable event monitoring, the window shrinks. I also put some docs together. I hope to get it posted this week.
How are you monitoring each of the seperate inputs shown on the appliation ie Hot Water?

TED allows you to set up events based on power consumption. For instance, you could setup an event named "HOTWATER" that is triggered everytime the power consumption increases 2.3KW. I just read those events and sum them up for the day.

OK, new version is up. If you have the latest version, it should find the new version when you start the program. Otherwise, you can download it from the original link above.

This update:
- Allows all ports to be used
- Fixes rounding issues when displaying power in the system tray
- Adds the full (no rounding) KW currently being used to the tooltip for the system tray icon
- Used async methods for getting the data (should improve performance)

Hye guys - just a quick question - can the TED system monitor 220V 50hz single phase domestic power supplies as used in the Southern Hemisphere? Am struggling to find any suppliers of real time power monitoring systems who can monitor a 220V supply.... allw e have is Cent a Meter type products which are glorified ammeters at best with no logging or output capabilities.

Appreciate any advice you may have - I can't find this specification on the TED site. My apologies if it is easily found!

Hye guys - just a quick question - can the TED system monitor 220V 50hz single phase domestic power supplies as used in the Southern Hemisphere? Am struggling to find any suppliers of real time power monitoring systems who can monitor a 220V supply.... allw e have is Cent a Meter type products which are glorified ammeters at best with no logging or output capabilities.

Appreciate any advice you may have - I can't find this specification on the TED site. My apologies if it is easily found!

You should ask them. [email protected]

They have always replied to my questions very quickly.

Mine (version doesn't seem to matter much...) runs for a couple of hours (clean install of XP), then I notice after not too long a time that the KWH dial indicator stops responding. This is only the first sign though, because after a day or two of continuous operation, Footprints becomes more and more unstable until it will not even display the main page. I've done a couple of clean installs of the OS from scratch, then reloaded Footprints plus .net etc. and tried again with the same results on different drives.

Me thinks Footprints has a "fungus", and their tech support is non-responsive so far, other than to suggest I try the latest vers I(which I did), but same result.

Hardware is fine, data coming out the port, but something seems fishy in software land... I had told them earlier that the drive writes every second, wasn't the best either (said they were aware of that, etc.).

At least the hardware works... :(

I used TED and had to send it back because of the PLC interference issue. Always amazed me that they could put out such a product without ever considering which companies were already using very nearby PLC frequences.... The company is supposedly coming out with a MESH based RF system very soon....

I used TED and had to send it back because of the PLC interference issue. Always amazed me that they could put out such a product without ever considering which companies were already using very nearby PLC frequences.... The company is supposedly coming out with a MESH based RF system very soon....
[/quote]

That may be the "Model 5000", which has been in the "vaporware" stage for quite a long time now. I e-mailed em' a week or two ago, and I did get a reply which indicated "3-4 weeks". Details are sparse, but it seems that this model will allow for "net metering" as well, but I heard that bit of info quite some time ago.

I really hope that the new model does have RF instead of Power Line communication. As far as the difficulties with the TED Software that I had earlier, I eventually tried the newer software vers. along with installing windows 2000 instead of XP. Between the two changes its working quite a bit better.

Yeah, but if the past is any indication, the new MESH RF version will be very close to, but not exactly the same frequency that Z-Wave uses and it will cause interference with that;)

Yeah, but if the past is any indication, the new MESH RF version will be very close to, but not exactly the same frequency that Z-Wave uses and it will cause interference with that;)

Just switch to UPB. I did, and my TED has been working fine. We'll almost. I tried the Footsteps software, and it cause my disk drive to run every second, which over time, won't be good for my disk. I'm using it stand-alone until they fix that.

Just switch to UPB. I did, and my TED has been working fine. We'll almost. I tried the Footsteps software, and it cause my disk drive to run every second, which over time, won't be good for my disk. I'm using it stand-alone until they fix that.

Yes Insteon is causing havoc on the TED in my house. Switching to UPB has many other advantages than this though :huh:

Back