The Energy Detective

What alternatives are there to whole house power consumption monitoring other than TED? I'm looking for somethign to give me at least amps or kwh used but preferable also line voltage.

It shoudl either integrate with ELK or CQC...

Any suggestions?

Cinemar now has a full featured plugin and prebuilt user interface for the TED 1001 w/ Footprints software. Footprints is nice if you want to physically connect the TED unit to a different PC than that of the MainLobby 3 Server PC.

http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/mlserver.m...management.html

We should be getting hardware stock back in the first week of September. On order, the plugin license goes out immediately.

That may have just put me over the fence to get MainLobby and the TED.

Good Work!

Anyone heard any updates on the availability of the Model 5000, which if I recall correctly is supposed to be able to handle "grid-tie" solar installations?

They have been making occasional references to it in the last year, and the last promised availability date was June... <_< Of course promising roll-out dates for "vaporware" is pretty much S.O.P for most companies with new products these days...

Cinemar now has a full featured plugin and prebuilt user interface for the TED 1001 w/ Footprints software. Footprints is nice if you want to physically connect the TED unit to a different PC than that of the MainLobby 3 Server PC.

We should be getting hardware stock back in the first week of September. On order, the plugin license goes out immediately.

Good Work!

Digger,

I gave about 20 demos this weekend of my personal system and after they viewed the Energy Management interface, I had an overwhelming number of people saying they would benefit from this after their last energy bill. It's really cool to turn on/off lights and see the gauges move in real time. :)

A lot is possible now using Automation Rules and the assorted variables/data available from TED. As usual, the user interface is completely customizable.

1024.768.energymanagement.01.jpg

Good Work!

Digger,

I gave about 20 demos this weekend of my personal system and after they viewed the Energy Management interface, I had an overwhelming number of people saying they would benefit from this after their last energy bill. It's really cool to turn on/off lights and see the gauges move in real time. :)

A lot is possible now using Automation Rules and the assorted variables/data available from TED. As usual, the user interface is completely customizable.

I might break down and order it this week. I think it would be a great way to teach the kids to minimize energy usage also. As long as it plays nice with Insteon I will be ok.

Good Work!

Digger,

I might break down and order it this week. I think it would be a great way to teach the kids to minimize energy usage also. As long as it plays nice with Insteon I will be ok.

Yeah - you could turn it into an incentive program for the kids - have them try to beat last years energy usage during that month. The money saved at the end of the month could then be used to treat the kids to their favorite food place or returned to their piggy bank. I'll bet you'll hear them hassling you as you walk out of a room with the light left on or caught staring into the fridge for too long. :)

Just got my TED yesterday and I have to say I am not happy.

I called before I purchased and they told me there were no issues that they know of with X-10.

Got the unit, installed it, and the sender works a total of about 2 feet to the outlet next to the breaker panel. EVERY other outlet in the house gets little if any signal.

The Leviton coupler repeater seems to completely screw up everything.

Calling TED back, they told me to REMOVE ANY DIMMER SWITCHES I HAD
They told me to REMOVE MY COUPLER.

This is total BS.

They finally after 4 phone calls agreed to send me a replacement transmitter.
If that doesn't work with a coupler in line the whole load of crap is going back to TED.

Oh.. load profiling does not work as advertized.

One quick test you might consider is turning off the breakers to the coupler (you did use stand alone breakers right? :lol:) AND turning off breakers to all your dimmer circuits, just to see if this makes any difference in signal strength (hopefully you have at least one circuit left on after doing these steps).

I have already confirmed that the Leviton coupler actually makes the TED signals worse. I have it temporarily removed.

Honestly I am not interested in testing with no dimmers, as I find the answer dumbfoundingly stupid.
X-10 PLC has no issues.... TED, IF IT WORKED shouldn't either.

Did I mention that I connected the receiver 2 FEET from the transmitter on the same leg, and I STILL did not get 100% signaling... (It was about 65%)

Just got my TED yesterday and I have to say I am not happy.

I called before I purchased and they told me there were no issues that they know of with X-10.

Got the unit, installed it, and the sender works a total of about 2 feet to the outlet next to the breaker panel. EVERY other outlet in the house gets little if any signal.

The Leviton coupler repeater seems to completely screw up everything.

Calling TED back, they told me to REMOVE ANY DIMMER SWITCHES I HAD
They told me to REMOVE MY COUPLER.

This is total BS.

They finally after 4 phone calls agreed to send me a replacement transmitter.
If that doesn't work with a coupler in line the whole load of crap is going back to TED.

Oh.. load profiling does not work as advertized.

Please keep us updated as that was one of my fears and had me holding off. The TED is a great concept but they should have chosen a better means of communicating between the transmitter at the panel and the interface.

A low power RF version might be a better choice.

I called today to inquire when they were shipping the replacement... and was told... "I don't know"

skibum,
TED is out of stock right now. ETA next month. That might have been part of the "I don't know".

Ski, remember that I mentioned Wattnode!?!? ;)

Anyway, reason I suggested this was to see if the issue was a bad transmitter or just plain incompatible with X-10 dimmers. Sounds like you have a plan though. It is a shame the system is not working out for you, this hardware sounded promising :(.

Back