Largest UPB Installation?

And that is the problem. Setting up one group can eat up a whole bunch of records. I don't think 417 records can even support 250 groups.

Definitely not, depending on what your groups are. The 417 record limit is great device to device, but limiting for large installs if that limit is on a central controller than needs to be linked to every device. Hopefully we'll see the extended memory PLM soon.

I heard that they could be out in a matter of weeks. I am waiting for one since I locked up two already with just over 30 devices (but a lot of links since 10 are keypads). I just packaged them up to return to where I got them.

I doubt your problems are memory related. Even 10 keypads linked only take up 70 - 90 records, plus 20 switches = 110 - 130 records. You'd have to create a LOT of scenes to eat up the other 300.

Well they both worked somewhat and then eventually the RX light stayed steady on the ISY with both. Michel at UDI assured me its the PLM's and I trust his information.

I'm not saying you aren't having a problem with your PLM, I'm saying I don't think you used up 417 records.

This has become an Insteon thread??? I'll check with SA tomorrow about the limit on UPB links. It makes sense that 250 is the number of links total in a network. No limit on how many of the 250 devices are connected to the links. I will also get some updated info on the large install I refered to above.

Dave

This has become an Insteon thread??? I'll check with SA tomorrow about the limit on UPB links. It makes sense that 250 is the number of links total in a network. No limit on how many of the 250 devices are connected to the links. I will also get some updated info on the large install I refered to above.

Dave

No it is still a UPB thread. We just got sidetracked on relating Insteon record limits (my current problem) to UPB group limits to verify that UPB does not pose a similiar issue for me. They are not in fact related and I see no potential issues with the UPB device and group specifications. The only question is: Are there examples of UPB installations in the 175 - 200 device range and how well are they working?

Are there examples of UPB installations in the 175 - 200 device range and how well are they working?
PCS lighting is aware of one installation that is approaching the limit. When you reach the limit just change the network address and start another 250 switches. The two sets of 250 switches won't talk to each other but if your installation is that big you'll never know it.

We have done a few of 50+ units and have actually noticed a difference with Gen 1 & II devices.

At first had Simply Automated but were later changed to PCS GenII, works alot better with existing noise....

We have done a few of 50+ units and have actually noticed a difference with Gen 1 & II devices.

At first had Simply Automated but were later changed to PCS GenII, works alot better with existing noise....

Interesting! Do you notice any performance changes as more switches are added, changing the impedance of the powerline environment?

Today I got to load the UPStart program for my current big UPB job. Final tally is 161 devices. The power for the whole neighborhood dropped out shortly after I finished up so I only got to "play" for a short time but so far so good. I'll be back on site throughout the remainder of the week so I'll continue to hammer it pretty hard and let you all know how it performs.

We have done several 50-100 device installs with GenI devices without any problems. We have a few installs over the 100 device mark with the largest going over 200 devices at Christmas time every year. The problems that I have had with UPB GenI devices are not a result of device count in any way, but more of the Home's wiring topology and noise. We have installed noise filters on some fluorescents or just replaced the fixture when the noise maker was on the same circuit as the Upb device which has been easy enough. Our 200 hundred device install is a very renovated, added on, and updated home with multiple sub panels, breaker boxes, and etc. After all noise was removed by changing two light fixtures, five inverting phase couplers had to be installed in 5 of the 12 panels and in one panel we moved some breakers for a couple of loads to make it all work. This install is all GenI and is well over a year old and has never had a reported miss. This Home has a HAI panel and was started with HLC programming and finished up with Upstart. When looking at signal levels in upstart it is very scary looking; missing devices, low signal strengths, and etc. BUT works like a charm. With that being said GENII devices seem to be the answer to UPB short comings. Before Christmas I was programming 5 modules and none of them could be found and I noticed a ton of noise, I pulled a case of GenII modules off the truck and they worked like a charm, I didn't even bother looking for the noise. So maybe the noise issue could be a thing of the past? As far a poor wiring topology and signal attenuation, while I haven’t had to install one the new repeaters they should eliminate that problem. Speed on the GenII stuff is excellent, I took my first dimmer back out because I couldn't get it in setup, Duhhhh you need double tap a lot faster. One last thing is power conditioners, some are not PLC friendly. Good luck

Thought I´d pop back in on this one as it's after midnite and I´m just getting home from a marathon day installing and programming a 112 device UPB job. I am definately feeling really confident with even the largest installs. They do seem to require some what of a soft touch to program, though. Several of the devices needed relocation (ie: bouncing around to different receptacles) of the programming PIM. Other than that, all is very, very well.

Forgive my ignorance but which devices are Gen I and Gen II? Also what are the differences? Is there a website where they are outlined?

Thanks!

Neil

Back