Who has Nuvo Music Port?

Yea, I haven't been able to get the Music Port part to work at all. I have two sources coming out from my computer, and there are two lights lit up on the MP. I noticed the same thing about being logged in...the services start, but the indexing of the music doesn't start till you are logged in. I can click on the Autonomic icon in the task bar after logging in, and it is indexing my music, but after it's done I get the same message on any of my MP sources. I've rebooted everything, checked connections, re-ran the setup and nothing. I kind of want to break something <_<

I really don't know what I'm missing. I've gone though the manual a couple times, and the Nuvo Configurator side it set up correctly. But, "Source [] was not found on the Media Control Server" comes up for every MP source on every keypad.

--Jamie

P.S. So I tried switching from WMP to iTunes as my media manager. No joy, it's still giving me that error message about not finding the source on the MCS.

I've spent much of the past 2 weeks wrestling with the Music Port, so this seems like as good a time / place to share my experiences as any..

The setup:
- Acer Aspire AX1700-U3700A (2.4GHz pentium dual-core, 4GB RAM, built in 5.1 sound, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit).. found a great deal at the local Fry's when they went on sale a cpl months ago
- NuVo GrandConcerto
- HAI Omnipro II
- NuVo Music Port (Autonomic MCS sw, NuVoNet Adapter)

Problems
- Couldn't get it to work with iTunes or Windows Media Player- This was a new machine, so I had to download everything from scratch. The only version of iTunes available from the Apple site was 8.2, which I installed. Music Port recognized that a version of iTunes was installed and indeed showed me all the songs and albums. Whenever I hit 'play' via the NuVo controls or the MusicPort web interface (aka Autonomic Mirage), i wouldn't get any sound out of the computer. if i manually played a song from the PC, i would get the sound coming out of any zone which had this source selected. I called Darren at NuVo tech support, who said the latest version of iTunes is what I should be using. The Autonomic Controls documentation for the Media Server (Getting started guide) says in a couple places that iTunes 7.x is required, and that 7.0 or greater are required. Since 8.2 just came out, I thought maybe there was a compatibility issue with the new version, but then I tried WMP and I couldn't get it to work either.

- Could get it to work with Windows Media Center, but couldn't split the 5.1 output into separate stereo sources - This turns out to be correct behavior per the Autonomic documentation (WMC apparently keeps the entire 5.1 output for itself, which makes sense for movies, etc), but I couldn't find any mention of this in the NuVo docs, and Darren at NuVo had no idea what I was talking about (he seemed really confused by the "Windows Media Center" option, insisting that the "WMC" option was only appropriate for "Servers" <_< ). One potentially nice side effect of using the WMC option is that it looks like you can display and select other media (pictures, movies, recorded tv) through the Autonomic/NuVo web interface (for display on a connected TV, i guess). in my case, this is not so helpful as I bought this machine to be 3 separate audio sources for my NuVo and it's nowhere near a TV. FWIW, WMC must be running for this option to work, and I've also noticed that the system is somewhat flaky when WMC isn't the foreground app. It's also possible for the Music Port sw to silently fail if there are WMC errors.. e.g. music that's stored on a NAS that WMC can't connect to anymore. the only way to diagnose this is to go check in the WMC interface and look at the 'now playing queue'.

- Music Port Integration with HAI not working - Because the NuVo GC has only one serial port, I can't have both the OPII and the NuVoNet adapter plugged into it. With HAI firmware 3.0A i've got the HAI working well with the GC. Music Port sw is supposed to support having another serial port on the PC proxy serial transmissions to/from the GC's serial port. After setting that up (57600N81 w/ serial delay.. i experimented with values from 50-200ms) and plugging the HAI OPII into that, I was able to get metadata display ~working on my omnitouch touchscreens but no transport controls, and flaky source selection, zone control, etc. I wasn't able to get this setup to work at all, so I've gone back to having the HAI OPII plugged directly into the GC. The NuVoNet adapter has a NuVoNet connection, but no direct serial connection to the GC. This means that I can't use the Music Port / Mirage UI, which is a real shame, but at least I have restored HAI control of my GC setup. I also have the ability to navigate the NuVo menus (incl. artist, album, queue management, etc) for my 1 NuVo MP source (using WMC) and the corresponding menu control for my NuVo Ipod dock (NV-RIPS).

So, things haven't worked out as I'd hoped, but I at least have a semi-functional setup at this point.. which is a big improvement in WAF. But sometime next week I'll have to try getting on the phone again with NuVo tech support to work these issues out (or, perhaps I should try contacting Autonomic directly to address item #1 above?)

Hello Cocoon'ers.

We've noticed this rather active forum on Music Port and have read through a few of the issues that some of you are having. As you know, software and hardware integration on a variable platform like a PC can sometimes be a challenge. While we strive to make sure that 90% of the installations go in without too much tweaking, sometimes it's unavoidable. Most, if not all, of these issues can be resolved with a little help.

If you are having difficulty configuring Music Port as you require, request that NuVo technical support escalate the issue to Autonomic. While NuVo tech support does an outstanding job, sometimes we can help jump start a resolution at their request.

Rather than comb through this thread and try to answer questions that may already have been addressed, I invite you to ask again, and perhaps we can shed some light on a few subjects for everyone's benefit.

-Michael
-Autonomic Controls

Hi Michael,

We much appreciate your participation here. It's been difficult to locate much information online with regards to the product although it's been around for a while now.

Just for us to get a better picture on the division of scope can you clarify what parts are autonomics responsibility and which are Nuvo's? The Music Port hardware box has Nuvo's name on it, but is it all Nuvo?

I have 3 issue at the moment. One is likely a hardware issue, but i'll mention it anyway.

Issue 1:
When the musicport is connected via serial and NuvoNet to the Nuvo E6G the Radio Tuners (T2FXG) connected via NuvoNet start power cyling. Even when not in use they will not turn of and every 5 minutes or so they will turn off but come right back on. This is obiously a power consumption issue as well as a strain on relays the switch them on and off. I've called this into Nuvo and they have it 'noted' but don't have an apparent fix. When i disconnect the serial cable between the Music Port and the E6G this behaviour stops, but that obviously hinders functionality. To ensure it was my server causing this i disconnected the serial cable between the server and the Music Port and the behvariour continued.

Issue 2:
The other issue is with regard to playlists. I run my configuration with the Autonomics software and my music library on a server in the basement and use the Music Port Client GUI and Nuvo Keypads to browse tracks, etc. The problem i run into is the creation of playlists. Initially with iTunes the problem was also having new tracks (which i download from a PC in the kitchen and save onto a network share on the server) appear in the Music Port since iTunes doesnt actually monitor any folders. For this and other reasons I decided to ditch itunes alltogether and now have all my music in MP3 format (iTunes non DRM M4A format did work, but was still a bit flaky).

Windows Media Player (my server runs WMP11) does a nice job of monitoring folders and automatically adding them. From any Nuvo keypad a 'Rescan Media' will do the trick and the new songs show up. It appears however that i need to keep an instance of WMP11 open on the server in order for this to work. Can you clarify how your software runs the players in the background and how new songs woudl make it into the 'library'?

The Music Port Client GUI has a 'Queue' function, but does not have functions that allow the creation of playlists, this is pretty disapointing in my opinion. In any case on my kitchen PC i run Windows Media Player as well and have it pointed to the server music library share so it uses the same 'base'. I can create playlists on my kitchen PC this way which i then save to the music share on the server. When doing this WMP11 which monitors the folders pick this up automatically. Strangely enough the playlist never shows up in the Music Port, not even after a media rescan. HOWEVER, if i locally (log into the server and use that instance of WMP11) create the playlist then that playlist gets picked up by music port and shows up in the Nuvo Keypads and the Music Port Client GUI.

I know that these locally create playlists are stored in a diferent location on the server (i think under my documents or documents and settings) where the playlists that i created on the kitchen PC are saved in the music share on the server. WMP11 when running locally on the server (i.e. my launching it) doesnt seem to care either way and will show and play them, but they are treated differently by the Autonomics software.

Anyway to get this process runnign a bit smoother? I agree that if i had the Autonomics software running on the kitchen PC then the problem wouldnt really occur, but i think my configuration is somewhat typical for how users that have a bit more advancaed Entertainment and Automation configurations would want it set up.

Issue 3:
This issue is pretty minor since the workaround is quite easy, but i though i'd mention it anyway.

For some reason a user must be logged onto the machine in order for the process to work. If no user is logged in the Nuvo Keypads will show either 'No source connect' , 'No instance found' or something along those lines.

To deal with this I found some registry edits that automatically log a user in. This however is not ideal from a security point of view for a server.

It seems to me that the Autonomics software is ideal for running entirely as a system service. Many portions of it are already services, and i just cant figure out which pieces are not or what i have to do to make this work without the registry editing (which is is very simply so don't let anybody be scared by that part).

And last but not least is the open question about the support for streaming internet radio / Pandora. Is this coming and will it work with Nuvo? On the Autonomics forums it is mentioned, but in relation to a 'Mirage' product.

Hopefully any repsonse to the above questions will be read by others with the same issues and may actually reduce the volume of support you need to provide. ;) I've been told this thread comes up pretty high in the list of results when Googling 'Music Port'.

Thanks for chiming in, Michael. It's greatly appreciated.

Any offhand recommendations for a fanless, dedicated PC, with native 7.1 output (for 4 sources)? I bet you talk to a lot of people using MP.

MavRic,

Item #1 certainly sounds like a hardware issue. If the problem persists, even with the PC server disconnected, that's certainly the case - perhaps, as you suspect, a power supply issue. I will bring it to the attention of one of NuVo's Sr. technicians for comment.

Item #2. iTunes Playlists. I use this method to share my iTunes library between my Music Port Server and the Kitchen PC. Newly download songs and playlists created on the Kitchen laptop *magically* show up on the NuVo keypads without any action on my part. My wife loves it. ;) I think it's just what you're looking for.

Item #3 No, MCS is not designed to run as a service - don't kill yourself trying to make that work. It's an interesting idea, however, and I'll mention it to development - possible future enhancement? Perhaps - but honestly, it's not likely to happen too soon.

Regarding Pandora, NuVo does intend to support it in a future upgrade or release, but I can't comment on timing currently. If you HAVE to have it now, Autonomic Controls MCS-EX with PolyTune is a functional equivalent to Music Port with added support for XM Radio (broadband delivery) and Pandora.

Item #2. iTunes Playlists. I use this method to share my iTunes library between my Music Port Server and the Kitchen PC. Newly download songs and playlists created on the Kitchen laptop *magically* show up on the NuVo keypads without any action on my part. My wife loves it. ;) I think it's just what you're looking for.

Item #3 No, MCS is not designed to run as a service - don't kill yourself trying to make that work. It's an interesting idea, however, and I'll mention it to development - possible future enhancement? Perhaps -

I was kinda trying to get rid of itunes altogether....any solutions using Windows Media Player?

Michael,

Welcome to Cocoontech. It's good to see Autonomic's presences here.

To be honest, I have been disappointed by the majority of Nuvo's and Autonomic's tech support. I say majority, because Nuvo's senior tech was very helpful and he tried quite a lot, but in the end was unable to help me. Their other techs were less than helpful. When my case transferred to Autonomic, I received a fairly flippant email stating Windows Home Server was not officially supported, even though Nuvo plainly says it is here, and I was pretty much on my own to solve the problem. Nor was my follow-up email responded to.

Now, I understand the intricacies of designing product for another company, but if your Bose sound system isn't working in your Ford Explorer, you don't call Bose, Ford takes care of it. Whole house music systems are a luxury item, and while I would still be unhappy, I would not be surprised with this level of support for a $100 router...not with a $2000 specialty item. Hopefully Autonomic and Nuvo can get on the same page as to what OS is supported and improve the documentation and knowledge base around this product.

--Jamie

Thanks for chiming in, Michael. It's greatly appreciated.

Any offhand recommendations for a fanless, dedicated PC, with native 7.1 output (for 4 sources)? I bet you talk to a lot of people using MP.

Check out http://www.s1digital.com/P600_p/mcfx.htm

S1 is one of our partners, and all of our software is extensively tested on their hardware.
Thanks.

Any other manufacturers that you might suggest? And no, Vidabox wouldn't be a good option either. Most consumers on a budget don't want to shell out $7K for a full DA system, if installing themselves.

The installation of the basic Nuvo systems appears absolutely idiot-proof, from the installation manuals. But when it comes to matching the capabilities of Sonos or Logitech Duet, with the distribution of digital content, Nuvo falls short.

Nuvo is reaching out to the consumer in an effort to increase sales, but few consumers will shell out the $ for the music server - the 'out-of-the-box' equivalent of the dedicated PC/Music Port setup.

Nuvo could pair up the Music Port with an affordable, tested solution (Mis Wind, Eee Box, Dell Studio Hybrid), and they'll continue to sell Nuvo systems. S1 and Vidabox are for CI's - of course, the majority of Nuvo installers. But if Nuvo wants to sell more Nuvo systems, to consumers/users, they should be pairing the MP with something realistic. I don't need a HTPC. A fanless, low-energy, cheap PC should work fine, but I don't know for certain.

Perhaps someone can correct me, if I'm getting this wrong. And thanks for being patient with the complaints, Michael. This isn't Autonomic's fault.

I was kinda trying to get rid of itunes altogether....any solutions using Windows Media Player?

Have you tried this?

1. On the remote (non Music Port PC), share the folder where Media Player stores it's playlists (ie Music/Playlists). You can find this location by right clicking a playlist in Media Player and selecting "Go to file location...".

2. On the Music Port PC, open Media Player, select Library, More Options (or Tools, Options, Library Tab), click the Monitor Folders button, and add the shared folder from step one to the list of monitored folders. Media Player should from that point forward pick up and add playlists created on the remote machine into it's local library. Since the playlists song paths are relative to the player, if the same music exists on the Music Port Server, the playlists will work fine.

You can incorporate variations on this theme by creating a shared folder on the network where both machines are obtain their music. You could use a consistant drive mapping to keep the relative paths in the playlists valid.

Hi Jamie,

We take customer care very seriously, so I researched your complaint. I believe this is the e-mail that support sent you.

Date: 6/15/2009 5:31:19 PM
To:
Subject: Re: [#SRX00182] Music Port help

Jamie,

We received your log files and have determined your problem. Windows Home Server is not an officially supported OS for Music Port however here are a few pointers that may allow you to get things working.

1. You seem to be using Microsoft's Remote Desktop (or the Windows Home Server Console) to run the MCS configuration utility. This is not supported. Other remote desktop utilities such as TightVNC and UltraVNC, do work with Music Port.

2. You will need to configure WHS to Autologin as Administrator in order for Music Port to start automaticly upon reboot.

3. You will need to update WMP to at least version 10.

All that said, Microsoft may issue a patch to WHS at some point that could break Music Port, and, since WHS is not officially supported, we may not issue a fix. In other words, proceed at your own risk.

Regards,
Support

I understand your frustration, however, I don't think this e-mail was intended to be dismissive or flippant. I apologize if it seemed that way to you.

The NuVo Music Port documentation regarding support for Windows Home Server is an error and will be corrected. Windows Home Server is not officially supported as Autonomic has not developed a console installation for WHS and we can't be sure that future WHS patches will be compatible, however, we will assist any customer who has previously purchased Music Port and wants to use it with Windows Home Server.

According to the history on your support ticket, NuVo reported that your server is working and closed the case ticket in our system yesterday. If this is not the case, let me know and I'll make sure it gets reopened and that you receive the help you need.

Any other manufacturers that you might suggest?

While I can't point to a specific machine, based on our testing, if you are running non-DRM (unprotected) iTunes files, you should have at least a 1 gig processor to run four streams. If you are using DRM (protected) content, you'll need a 2 gig processor to reliably run four streams. Memory is not a limiting factor in either case, but shouldn't be less than 1 GB. Testing was done using 500GB 7500 RPM WD hard drives.

hey autonomic, glad to see you've found the cocoontech thread.. i've got a question, since you said that your native software already supports pandora / sirius.. do our keys that come with the music port software work for registering your software, or is it a seperate license altogether.. also, i'm guessing that the music port software upgrade to support pandora will be free, but will there ever come a time where music port owners might have to pay in to get an upgrade or something of that nature?

p.s. you guys are doing great work with nuvo.. i'm really loving the music port, and your software is great.

oh and hey neurorad, if you comb through the thread you'll see i'm running my setup with a fanless jetway mini itx system. it's 1.2ghz with 1gb of ram, so just above the minimum requirements.. all my music is non drm. I'm running 3 streams concurrently, on a heavily stripped down windows xp build. If you've got a rather large library i'd consider going with a system with a bit more oomph. My library is nearing 60gb of files, so while going through artists it can keep up pretty well, however every now and then the nuvo keypads will display 'please wait' while it loads the next chunk of artists (i think it can comb through about 50 before i get the message).. doing that on 3 different sources at once, it'll give me the message every 20 artists or so.. since my library is going to keep on growing i've decided to bump up my system to one of the new zotac 9300 mini itx boards.. it's going to consume more power, around 40w as compared to the 15-20 my system sips now, but in exchange i'll be able to stream hd video from it concurrently as well, and i have the ability to upgrade to core 2 quad when prices come down.. just remember running the software is definetly doable with near minimum specs so long as the occasional 'please wait' message isn't a deal breaker, that and don't run anything else on the host machine.

Thank you very much, Autonomic and Forgets.

That 'Please Wait' message would be a deal-breaker.

I'm now reconsidering the energy-efficient requirement, opening up a world of possibilities. I'll wait a year or 2, and upgrade to a fanless. Problem solved.

Back