Who has Nuvo Music Port?

charliebarns said:
Sorry to drag up a really old thread, but, is anyone still using their musicport or am I the only dinosaur here? I'm frustrated because I update to Autonomics latest version of the Mirage App and it broke everything. This same thing happened when they released the 2012 update to the App and when I contacted support they fixed it right away and it was fine. This time when I contacted them they told me they weren't supporting it any more....

CB

It's working for me - which app?  The NuVo one or the Mirage, iOS or Android?

I use the Mirage app on iOS.  Just tested it on my iPod and iPad.

I assume you've rebooted the PC to make sure it's not just a crashed process...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm assuming you haven't updated your Mirage on the iOS to 4.5.2, the version that autonomic released on September 25, 2013. I would suggest not updating because it will break your whole system. I have been working back-and-forth with autonomic support and they tell me the MCS software is and of line and Mirage as off 4.5.2 will no longer work with that software.

I did have an older iPod that still had version 4.5.1 on it so I can move that version onto my iPhone's. But I am now missing version 4.5.1 for my iPads. As you may know moving the iPhone app onto the iPad isn't the same as having the app for the iPad because it does not have the same layout, features, and pixelates on the iPad.

I have asked autonomic support to provide me a download of iPad version 4.5.1, before the upgrade to 4.5.2, but they say they can't because "they no longer have it".

They want me to buy one of their audio servers.

CB

charliebarns said:
I did have an older iPod that still had version 4.5.1 on it so I can move that version onto my iPhone's. But I am now missing version 4.5.1 for my iPads. As you may know moving the iPhone app onto the iPad isn't the same as having the app for the iPad because it does not have the same layout, features, and pixelates on the iPad.

I have asked autonomic support to provide me a download of iPad version 4.5.1, before the upgrade to 4.5.2, but they say they can't because "they no longer have it".

They want me to buy one of their audio servers.

CB

I guess we should compare Mirage versions, as I've got the iOS app 4.5.2 installed on both iPod and iPad versions, and both are working for me.  There are definitely changes in the app as it's displaying "groups" now.

Hmm the plot thickens. But that may mean there is hope for me yet. As soon as I upgraded to 4.5.2 I lost the ability to control song selection, skip forward/back, play and pause. The only thing is could to was turn on/off a zone and control volume. No artwork would load and if a song was playing in the zone the progress bar would not advance. Autonomic says 4.5.2 will not communicate with mcs software. I'm starting to think they didn't really investigate since they are pushing very hard to get me to purchase an mms2 from them.

I am running Media Control Server 4.5.13093.0 on an xp box with updates disabled. Do you know what mcs version you are on?

CB

charliebarns said:
Hmm the plot thickens. But that may mean there is hope for me yet. As soon as I upgraded to 4.5.2 I lost the ability to control song selection, skip forward/back, play and pause. The only thing is could to was turn on/off a zone and control volume. No artwork would load and if a song was playing in the zone the progress bar would not advance. Autonomic says 4.5.2 will not communicate with mcs software. I'm starting to think they didn't really investigate since they are pushing very hard to get me to purchase an mms2 from them.

I am running Media Control Server 4.5.13093.0 on an xp box with updates disabled. Do you know what mcs version you are on?

CB

Yep, same version, also running on XP.  I have Windows Update and Security Center enabled, and have a chron job that reboots it every other day to deal with the update-caused process crash bug...

Interesting. What iOS are you running 4.5.2 on? I've tried 4.5.2 on iOS 5 and iOS 7. I get basically no controls under iOS 5 but after much fooling around I have achieved some success under iOS 7. Under iOS 7 I have managed to get it to show artwork, pause and play will work, skip forward skip backward will work, volume control will work, zone power on/off only works sometimes, and the progress bar for the current song does not advance at all.

Is this the same behavior you are seeing or do all of your functions work?

Thanks
CB

iOS7 and all the features I've tried appear to work.  Play / pause, browse content, artwork shows up, etc.  

I'm back working on this issue again as it's driving me nuts. 4.5.2 iphone version works on iphone and ipad, 4.5.2 ipad version does not work on ipads and neither does the 4.5.3 bugfix release. 

Maybe I should try a fresh install of the music server and start from scratch. Daunting....

cb

Well I've done a fresh Windows 7 install, installed MCS, connect to my Nuvo, and I'm seeing the exact same behaviour again. This is with Mirage version 4.5.2 or 4.5.3 on an ipad (tried ipad1, 2, 3 and 4 on ios 5.1.1 up to 7.04).  I haven't tried it on my iPhone because my iPhone has version 4.5.1 and that seems to work fine and I'm scared to upgrade for fear of losing 4.5.1.  

So at this point I feel the only thing I can do is find an older version of Mirage for the iPad. Does anyone out there have a backup of the Mirage app of version 4.5.1 or older? 

Thanks guys,

CB

So I, like it seems a multitude of Nuvo GC/Music Port (original), had it crash with the last MCS update. I was pretty upset, I've been a Nuvo owner for the last 4 years, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't use the system. Losing my ability to listen to Pandora or access my media server's ITunes library felt like a severe waste of money (in building the media computer in the first place). I decided to make lemonades from lemons and find a work around that met my needs. It came down to this:

1. I bought the Nuvo to be able to have multiple sources on in the house at the same time
2. I wanted to see Metadata as a part of the package
3. I wanted to have access to my 135GB ITunes library. I'm a professional musician and it's my life's blood in being able to access reference music when working on arrangements.

Here's what I realized:

1. If I had an unlimited amount of cash, I would have a system installed that allows me to simply operate everything from the bloody Iphone that follows me wherever I go. I like the keypads, but FOR ME, it's not a must have as long as I can see metadata through some source and effect source functionality through said source.
2. What I just said in #1 is totally doable with an Iphone and a little patience.

This will take a little patience, know how, and time. Here's what I did:

1. Completely unhooked the music port system. I did leave the sound output cables connecting my media server to the GC in place. Everything else was taken down (sad day)
2. Reprogrammed the Nuvo GC so that my previous Music Port source was a random receiver. I named this source Pandora/ITunes.
3. Using my Iphone I installed the following apps on it:
         a. Remote -- this is the remote app for ITunes that let's you wirelessly control ITunes. It will show you all of your cover art, Metadata, Music Library broken down by different Sorts (Genre, Artist, etc), gives you full access to ITunes Radio, play/pause/rewind/fast forward/next/previous, and to a limited extent volume. You'll need to turn on Home Sharing on your PC ITunes Library for Remote to find your Library on the network.

Part 2 of install:

3. After installing Remote for ITunes, I installed an app called:
      b. Remoteless -- First install the Iphone app. Second install Chrome (or Firefox) as a browser on your media server. Third install the Chrome (or Firefox) Browser extension that allows the Iphone to talk to the PC. It gives you all of the functionality in Pandora -- cover art, meta data, Search engine, thumbs up/down, social media tags, limited volume control. Pretty much everything the Remote (ITunes) does above. You can find instructions for it on this website. http://remoteless.no

Some other things you'll want to do:
1. Go into your control panel, search for power options, and set-up a custom plan that doesn't allow your computer to automatically sleep after a period of non-use. It's going to need to be on 24/7. My system was this way before with the Music Port, so I'd expect you have a similar rig anyway.
2. If you want some extra security that this doesn't crash, I suggest you do the following that I did:
     a. Get rid of your log-in password screen. I know, I know, there's a security component here, but if your PC goes down and restarts itself, you'll be without Pandora/ITunes functionality until you go type in a password.     
     b. Go into your start-up folder and copy in your desktop short-cuts to ITunes and Chrome, so they both open automatically when Windows starts-up. The folder is located at C/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Startup. XXX would be whatever User name is the administrator. You may need to go to the Start Menu, and type Folder Options, to unhide system files to get into those directories.
     c. I set a recurring task that restarts my computer at midnight every night. This limits the potentiality of the system crashing from being up for to long. If you go to Microsoft Support and type in the search box, "How to set Task Scheduler automatic shutdown at specific time", it will walk you through the process.

What I ended up with:
1. No metadata on the GC keypad for Pandora or ITunes, only a source placeholder name in place.
2. Seamless access to Pandora and ITunes with waaaaaayyyyyyy more functionality then I had before through the keypad. I had huge lags when it accessed my ITunes library and intermittent Pandora before, now it works like a champ because I'm not tasking the GC to figure it out with it's pea-sized brain of a motherboard.
3. I can sit on the couch or at the dinner table and not have to get up to change music or access something else. Bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I realize my first post made me seem slightly illiterate, I can assure you I am absolutely illiterate typing anything in at 1am. I was pissed that Nuvo has decided to try and shove yet another $3K piece of hardware down my throat to keep my system up and running (in the fashion I've become accustomed too). At the end of the day, system's like Sonos look so great because of the seamless Iphone integration that allows you to control everything from the palm of your hand. The Mirage software leaves a lot to be desired, when a bunch of Norwegian's can make a $2 app that kicks it's ass.

Good luck to you all!

My Rig:
Nuvo Grand Concerto w/12 Zones (expander kit)
Ipod Dock
Wireless Control Pad
Self Built Liquid Cooled Media Sever

Back