Who has Nuvo Music Port?

Does either of these systems allow the use of the iTunes playlists, neither systems documentation is very detailed on its iTunes/iPod support?
Details of how to use iTunes through the Nuvo GC, using MP:

Register with the Nuvo Pro Zone, and download the document 'Music Port Host PC Recommended Setting & Adjustments'.

I found some details of MP configuration in the Nuvo Pro Zone, 'MP Host PC Recommended Setting & Adjustments'.

Although the documention with the CasaTunes seems a little better than the Music Port (found some time to read install manual last night), I think I'd be happier with the Nuvo-branded product.

As far as a dedicated PC goes - sounds like most people aren't too concerned with the 24/7 operation. I could probably get away with a cheap Dell or HP, with a 7.1 audio card, and an open PCI or PCIe slot for a serial card. Rack mountable would be great, but not a requirement. I'd have to step up in price, or build my own PC with a rack mountable case.

Or spend $200 more, and go with a home server. Easy setup for Windows Home Server? Mostly favorable reviews. And, the MP documentation lists Windows Home Server as a viable option.

No sure if you want to go the Prepacked Windows Home Server Route...so far i only think HP makes one and i personally think it's a bit hardware limited. I bought my own hardware and rackmoutn case and bought Windows Home Server OEM from NewEgg.

I also read somewhere that MusicPort shoudl be WHS compatible. If it is trully WHS compatible it should install as an .msi that you load into WHS via the 'Add Ins' section. I tried that and it doesnt work, also the audio setup woudl be troublesome i think. Since you can Remote Desktop into any WHS box you could set it up that way just like on a regular machine. Is this is what they mean by WHS compatible then this is indeed correct since i run it that way, but thats not really supposed to be the way people run WHS.

WHS is suppsoed to be managed remotely though the WHS console only. In my case this didn't give me all the things i wanted. What i really wanted was a full Win2k3 server, but the license cost of that ($500-$600) compared to WHS ($130 or so) was hard to justify.

Whe nusing the music port you definetely get all the track date (artist name, etc) on the Nuvo keypads whic is nice. Using squeezeboxes this 'may' be possible through a long CQC workaround, but it doubt it would ever work as well as the way Nuvo does it natively. Having playign with this for about a week now i would say not having the META DATA at the keypad or the ability to brown the media library from the keypad would be a deal breaker for me. The Nuvo keypads do this very nicely as does their Music Port GUI software which i run on a touch screen.

I found some details of MP configuration in the Nuvo Pro Zone, 'MP Host PC Recommended Setting & Adjustments'.

Although the documention with the CasaTunes seems a little better than the Music Port (found some time to read install manual last night), I think I'd be happier with the Nuvo-branded product.

As far as a dedicated PC goes - sounds like most people aren't too concerned with the 24/7 operation. I could probably get away with a cheap Dell or HP, with a 7.1 audio card, and an open PCI or PCIe slot for a serial card. Rack mountable would be great, but not a requirement. I'd have to step up in price, or build my own PC with a rack mountable case.

Or spend $200 more, and go with a home server. Easy setup for Windows Home Server? Mostly favorable reviews. And, the MP documentation lists Windows Home Server as a viable option.

No sure if you want to go the Prepacked Windows Home Server Route...so far i only think HP makes one and i personally think it's a bit hardware limited. I bought my own hardware and rackmoutn case and bought Windows Home Server OEM from NewEgg.

I also read somewhere that MusicPort shoudl be WHS compatible. If it is trully WHS compatible it should install as an .msi that you load into WHS via the 'Add Ins' section. I tried that and it doesnt work, also the audio setup woudl be troublesome i think. Since you can Remote Desktop into any WHS box you could set it up that way just like on a regular machine. Is this is what they mean by WHS compatible then this is indeed correct since i run it that way, but thats not really supposed to be the way people run WHS.

WHS is suppsoed to be managed remotely though the WHS console only. In my case this didn't give me all the things i wanted. What i really wanted was a full Win2k3 server, but the license cost of that ($500-$600) compared to WHS ($130 or so) was hard to justify.

Whe nusing the music port you definetely get all the track date (artist name, etc) on the Nuvo keypads whic is nice. Using squeezeboxes this 'may' be possible through a long CQC workaround, but it doubt it would ever work as well as the way Nuvo does it natively. Having playign with this for about a week now i would say not having the META DATA at the keypad or the ability to brown the media library from the keypad would be a deal breaker for me. The Nuvo keypads do this very nicely as does their Music Port GUI software which i run on a touch screen.

I found some details of MP configuration in the Nuvo Pro Zone, 'MP Host PC Recommended Setting & Adjustments' - it details the setup using WHS, as well as Vista & XP. ;)

I'll save my time and energy, and just get a basic PC, for a dedicated repository. I'll put off the home server for a few years.

I just checked that Nuvo document for Windows Home Server...

I just dicussed some setting for auto-play, auto-rip of CD's.

From what i can tell it's not a proper Windows Home Server 'Add-In' in that sense.

Still don't know why i have to log in to get the music to play, i really don't like that part..not sure how to make this run as a service..

Does either of these systems allow the use of the iTunes playlists, neither systems documentation is very detailed on its iTunes/iPod support?

Register with the Nuvo Pro Zone, and download the document 'Music Port Host PC Recommended Setting & Adjustments'.

Downloaded those documents and they do not provide any useful information as to the iTunes capabilities thru the Nuvo devices, unless I missed something.

Judging from MavRic's response the iTunes playlists are not available thru the keypads along with the other metadata.

I suppose if I use a touchscreen in every zone(more expensive than planned) instead of the keypads, a system could be put together utilizing my current SqueezeCenter/HomeSeer implementation along with HomeSeer's HSTouch. Would just need to purchase a additional squeezeboxes for sources into the Nuvo.

Just to clarify:

When using the Nuvo Music Port with itunes the keypads WIL display the METADATA and the playlists you defined in itunes in the keypads.

My problem was that my server is intended to be 'headless' and in the basement and the Music Port GUI (that you can run on any PC and yo uget a nice GUI that control the whole Nuvo system) doesnt seem to have the ability to create new playlists. To create a playlist you would thus have to go into itunes ON THE SERVER machine to create it after which it shows up in the keypads and the GUI.

In another thread I posted question about how i could possibly use my kitchen PC and the itunes on it to create the playlist. Hopeing that the playlist woudl transfer from the kitchen PC itunes to the server itunes and from there show up in the keypads and GUI. So far i havent found a solution for this.

I did point the kitchen iTunes to the server share that holds the music. Any new downloads from the kitchen PC itunes shoudl then end up in the server. From there i don't know how/if itunes will pick them up...don't know if it has a 'rescan' function that would pick up new files place in it's music folder.

What i was also trying to say was that if somebody tried to combine a Nuvo system with a squeezebox or something similar and it would result in NOT having metadata at the Nuvo keypad the user may be disapoited. Being able to select songs from the kypads is a major feature in my opinion. I don't know how anything woudl do a better job that the Music Port since it's designed to work witht he main control and the keypas.

Music Port isn't cheap and i think it's still in it's early development. Hopefully they will be adding more functions to the GUI. But I'm already impressed. The wife likes it too, but she hasnt asked the question yet on how new music and new playlist are going to make it into the system. Worst case i can teach her to Remote Desktop into the server and use that iTunes...but i'd rather she keep her hands off the server. ;)

Downloaded those documents and they do not provide any useful information as to the iTunes capabilities thru the Nuvo devices, unless I missed something.

Judging from MavRic's response the iTunes playlists are not available thru the keypads along with the other metadata.

I suppose if I use a touchscreen in every zone(more expensive than planned) instead of the keypads, a system could be put together utilizing my current SqueezeCenter/HomeSeer implementation along with HomeSeer's HSTouch. Would just need to purchase a additional squeezeboxes for sources into the Nuvo.

I apologize. I've been reading everything I can find about the MP, and I was confused.

Right now, I'm watching a Nuvo webinar covering Music Port, accessed through the Nuvo ProZone.

I'll listen for mention of iTunes.

Sorry I misunderstood your comments, that is excellent news for me at least.

I agree with you that being able to select from the keypad using the metadata is important and for me would have been a show stopper.

I see your issue with the headless server, I have one also, in fact we currently rip our music cd's to a folder on our the server we also have a back-up copy of the folder on another computer which is our HomeSeer/SqueezeCenter machine for reasons I won't go into here, MS Synctoy runs everynight and compares the 2 folders and adds/deletes the differences, works well. You might be able to do something similar more frequently to copy the iTunes file containing the playlists to your server.

I have read somewhere that one of these systems can scan multiple music library sources and combine them, I have read so much recently hard to keep straight which can do what....

Thanks for the info on the Music Port, this seems to be the option that will bring me the closest to where I want to be, which is one set of music files with one set of playlists to use both in the home and on the road via iPod.

From the webinar: you can use an existing iTunes library.

I recommend you check out the webinar. Some useful tips.

Again, I apologize for misleading.

I did point the kitchen iTunes to the server share that holds the music. Any new downloads from the kitchen PC itunes shoudl then end up in the server. From there i don't know how/if itunes will pick them up...don't know if it has a 'rescan' function that would pick up new files place in it's music folder.
The Nuvo MP webinar (from Nuvo ProZone), dated ?Aug '08, says that iTunes requires a manual step to add music to the library, unlike WMP which can be configured to add automatically. However, the presenter said that 3rd party software is available that will do this automatically.

Don't worry about it. I'll check the webinars thanks for the info. This stuff is so complicated sometimes you think you know what you are getting until you get it home and its not what you wanted.

If the only problem is that your server is headless, and you think that creating new playlists would be relatively rare, use RDP to drive the server machine from a machine that does have a monitor.

From any machine on your network, start:run:

mstsc /v SERVERNAME /admin

login and drive the server to get done what you need done. Apologies if you already knew about this and decided it wasn't feasible for whatever reason. (On older OS versions, change /admin to /console.)

Hi soko:

yeah i know that part could be done..but when the wife makes playlists she would want to listen briefly to a song before adding it. Funny as it sounds...the Music Port run itunes int he background somewhere and when you start it on the machine itself you'll only get sound out of the local machine. When remote desktop brings the soudns from the remote machien to the local machine the Music Port settings get pretty messed up since it all relies on splitting a 7.1 audio into 4 stereo channel..when RDP takes over it changes sounds device to 2 channels to start with so 6 channels are lost...

Back