Using the Quatech Serial Port Server

You could use HW_VSP to create a local serial port so you can still use your software (it's what I have been doing for years).

Dan,

Do you use the HW_VSP together with the Quantech software or just he HW_VSP talking to the Quantech box?

You wouldn't use the Quatech software, heck, I wouldn't even install it. HW_VSP will create a local serial port, which it will map over IP to the remote serial port. Just make sure you disable some of the extra features so it's just plain raw IP, and you should be good to go. HW_VSP can be started from command line so no GUI interaction is required.

Interesting...I had some serious problems with this before (I think maybe I was using version 3), but I just used version 2.5 of the HW-VSP to create a local port for the cmax software to connect to the ocelot, and it worked great.

Good to know the ports are there if I need them. For now Id still rather use the direct IP from the drivers, since it removes one more piece of software to configure and worry about.

I do like version 2 much better as well, but you are right, direct IP connectivity would be the best option.

I have no real complaints, now that it's all working. However, sometimes...I've seen a driver do weird things where it SAYS it has the TCP connection, but when it actually tries to read/write to it, it suddenly drops and then it says it doesn't have it, and it keeps going through this cycle. Then I reset the quatech box, and everything is ok. :) I'm just hoping this isn't a common occurrence where maybe the temporary unplugging of a network cable or wall wart causes the thing to go freaky. So far....kinda so good.

Ok, now I'm greatly annoyed again. I come home to find all 3 devices that are connected through the quatech box are offline. I went to the web page for the box and reset it...and they come back up. :)

I think I'm just going to bite it and sell all of these boxes, except maybe 1, and find a nice edgeport instead. *sigh* This just isn't worth the hassle. It should have been a lot easier than this.

I've been reading about your troubles and following them pretty much from day one. I bought two of these pretty early and I have to say I've had no troubles what-so-ever. I'm still running XP and just grabbed the drivers from the Quatech site. I've had an Insteon PLM, 1Wire 9097, UPS, and a Maxbotix ultrasonic sensor plugged in for about two months now with not so much as a hiccup. I don't know if the drivers are just happier with XP over WHS or if maybe you just got some bad boxes. Also, I'm using the 5 volt rail form a PC power supply so I've got plenty of power, I don't know if that's the difference or not but I certainly feel for ya. Problems like this make the hobby suck at times...

Terry

Ya, I do admit to being perplexed as well. For all the troubles I've had with this, you'd think others would have had at least some problems as well (since lots of us jumped on that ebay deal), but I seem to be the lone voice in the darkness...whining away.

Of all the things I've plugged into it, the ALC/OnQ controller makes the most sense for not working. It seems to be really picky about timing and stuff like that. Heck, I've been having some issues with it connected to my native motherboard ports. But the other 3 items, the TRS RC-15, the Datanab 32i, and the Ocelot....

Well, I've certainly been doing my share of troubleshooting lately. Maybe this would be worthwhile to also see just what it is in my setup is causing these issues, assuming it is *NOT* the quatech box fault.

I think I'll pick a device (my RC15 really isn't be used much these days) and connect that to a box and see if its stable or not. And if not, I can start to try to figure out why.

One steady member of everything I've tried are these netgear switches and routers I have in the mix. Are any of those likely culprits?

I've only moved one Midon Design Temp08 over to one Quatech box to test. I have not tested on my HA box directly; only indirectly via XaP. I did install the off the shelf Quatech drivers to another 2003 server on my network to test. Its been online now for a couple of months. I do have the Quatech box connected to a cheap 4 port switch. If you want to you could eliminate the switch by using a crossover cable to a second nic on your ha box. I don't believe though that the network switch is causing your issues. The final testing part for my setup before using it in "production" will be a WAN connection.

Well, I guess the troubleshooting has begun. I noticed my HVAC controller was cycling offline. Its on port 2 of the quatech box. The devices on ports 1 and 3 were still fine, interestingly.

I removed the driver altogether and then added it back. It still wouldn't connect. In theory, that *should* remove CQC or the driver as a possible culprit, since it was essentially "rebooting" the software connection.

So, the next step was to get a different quatech box and try that one for a while. Same port, same setup on the port, just a different IP address. It connected right up. So now we'll see how long that stays that way.

OK, finally getting around to playin with this things. Went thru ALL pages on this forum about the QSE-100D. How in the H E DOUBLE L do you find the freakin IP addy on these units??? I have reset and defualted the units using the button on the back. I read on line the default ip was 192.168.192.168. that didnt work. I even went into my router to see what IP addys were being address but to no avail.

I assume the software is embedded and all i need is the ip addy to get access to the unit. Im bustin my head!

Somewhere share the secret please? Then i can go DOAH! OF COURSE!

Cheers

The Quatech software should be able to detect it, assuming it is plugged into your local network/subnet. I believe most of them still had their old address which was in the 10.x.x.x range.

Did you use the quatech wizard? That searches the network for the device and then you can set the IP address to whatever you want.

Back