Using the Quatech Serial Port Server

Good lord...nothing should be that complicated. ;) Thanks for the info, though. I'll begin to attack it.

I installed the Redirector software I used in the past on another testing computer. It provides a "Port Settings" button where the management is specified. It contains Timeout Reconnect, Server Reconnect, Inband Listen, Connection Timeout, Force V2 Protocol, No Net Close and Raw Mode. Under "Advanced" button is the keepalive interval and service option. There should be similiar configuration capabiltiy with the most current software. For dedicated applications I would think you would want the keepalive, reconnect and no abiltiy to remotely close the connection. If you want to share the Quatech serial port with control from multiple computers then your settings will be different.

Am I using different software? I followed the link you gave. I dont have anything labeled redirector...instead, I have the Secure CPR Manager 4.2.2.1. It has most everything you described above, but it's all on a single table in the window, not via buttons.

I downloaded my redirector perhaps 3 or 4 years ago when I first took the approach of IP interfaces to my HA toys. The link I gave was to what Lantronix is currently providing. It should be the new and improved version. I did not use it that long as I went to the direct IP approach. Lantronix has been in the business a long time so it should have a better chance of making a generic RAW mode driver that relative newcomers.

I would also take a look at HW Virtual Serial Port, which can map a local serial port to a remote TCP port. I have been using this application with many serial port devices successfully for years in an enterprise environment.

I would also take a look at HW Virtual Serial Port, which can map a local serial port to a remote TCP port. I have been using this application with many serial port devices successfully for years in an enterprise environment.

By "map a local port", do you mean the port has to be existing already (as in , physical??)? Or will it create the "virtual" port for you still? I'll try the HW software...but I still need to know how to have the quatech drivers go away. Dan, do you remember how to do it, or is it the way JimmyJam said?

From the manual:
Uninstalling from Windows XP/2000
Follow these steps in the event that you need to uninstall or reinstall
the SDS software on a Windows XP or 2000 system.
  1. From the Control Panel, select System.
  2. Click on the Hardware tab.
  3. Click on Device Manager.
  4. Expand Multi-port serial adapters and select your Quatech Device Server.
  5. Right click and select Uninstall.
  6. At the Confirmation screen, click OK.
  7. Click Finish at the Completing the Add/Remove Hardware
  8. Wizard screen.

Figures...I was uninstalling individual ports...shoulda gone for the big fish. Yay, maybe I'll get my Datanab talking to me again tonight!

Well, I tried the HW-VSP software...and it worked! The datanab connected. That was when I discovered that the VSP software had to run 1 instance per port. Ick. I've got at least 4 ports to account for, I really didn't want to have to manage all those separate instances.

I *also* noticed that the Datanab still disconnected ocassionally....so I think that means something may yet be wrong with either the datanab, the quatech, the cqc driver, or the routers/switches between here and there.

In an effort to have all of the virtual ports controlled under 1 roof, I tried the lantronix software again. I *know* that the quatech is connectable at the IP address and port 5000, as the HW-VSP just did it. But no matter what settings I made, nor even turning off the firewall, the lantronix software doesnt get past the "Verifying 192.168...is a valid device". Apparently, it's not.

Well, I tried the HW-VSP software...and it worked! The datanab connected. That was when I discovered that the VSP software had to run 1 instance per port. Ick. I've got at least 4 ports to account for, I really didn't want to have to manage all those separate instances.

I *also* noticed that the Datanab still disconnected ocassionally....so I think that means something may yet be wrong with either the datanab, the quatech, the cqc driver, or the routers/switches between here and there.

In an effort to have all of the virtual ports controlled under 1 roof, I tried the lantronix software again. I *know* that the quatech is connectable at the IP address and port 5000, as the HW-VSP just did it. But no matter what settings I made, nor even turning off the firewall, the lantronix software doesnt get past the "Verifying 192.168...is a valid device". Apparently, it's not.

OK, crazy. I am the person working with Michael on the Homeseer forum. I have been trying to do the EXACT same thing (lantronix com redirector with Quatech hardware) and have had the same results.

Few comments and perhaps your solution. The encrypted redirector is a pay for program you are probably looking for the free unencrypted version. Also, there is a previous version on the lantronix website (v3 vs v4). They still have it posted due to something related to Truport technology which may be the reason the newer version is not working (not a techie but this is my suspicion). Here's the link Lantronix Redirector.

Exact quote from the website is:

If you need to control hardware handshaking lines directly on an MSS, ETS or SCSx00 product, the original Redirector is still available at the links below. These products use a proprietary protocol to control HW handshaking signals instead of TruPort Technology (RFC2217). Click one of the links below to download the v3.1.0.4 Redirector:

Now I am using vista and the old version supports XP. Not sure if it still works with Vista but it's late and I don't have time to try it now for myself. Let me know if this helps.

beelzerob,

One thing I forgot to tell you is to disable NVT, by default it is enabled, and it WILL interfere as you describe. As for 4 instances, I run PC's with more than that, you can start an instance with command line parameters, so it's pretty easy to get up and running (just put the shortcuts in the startup folder). This also allows you to move one serial port to another machine in case you want to test stuff etc. It's good software, so I would give it another shot.

beelzerob,

One thing I forgot to tell you is to disable NVT, by default it is enabled, and it WILL interfere as you describe. As for 4 instances, I run PC's with more than that, you can start an instance with command line parameters, so it's pretty easy to get up and running (just put the shortcuts in the startup folder). This also allows you to move one serial port to another machine in case you want to test stuff etc. It's good software, so I would give it another shot.

Where is NVT disabled? Is this in redirector or is it somewhere in the Quatech device setup?

Where is NVT disabled? Is this in redirector or is it somewhere in the Quatech device setup?

Dan's talking about the HW-VSP software he recommended (I'm currently working on two different solutions to use this, the redirector and the HW-VSP). On the settings tab is a checkbox for NVT. Dan, I actually had that enabled, but I'm quite happy to say that the VSP software still kept my ALC OnQ driver connected all night. THAT hasn't happened for a while!

I'll try the older version of the redirector software now and see if we can't hit with that too.

I'm hesitant to declare success, but all of the devices have now connected using the older lantronix redirect software (thanks for that link heatvent!). Now to let it sit for a while and see how stable it is.

But if it *does* work, then I'd consider it a pretty painless workaround to make these quatech boxes useful. And I guess it will be an indictment against the Quatech windows drivers!

I'm hesitant to declare success, but all of the devices have now connected using the older lantronix redirect software (thanks for that link heatvent!). Now to let it sit for a while and see how stable it is.

But if it *does* work, then I'd consider it a pretty painless workaround to make these quatech boxes useful. And I guess it will be an indictment against the Quatech windows drivers!

I'll second the vote against the Quatech drivers (I think). Part of the reason I switched to a lantronix device is I was having issues with an RF8315 reciever and using the Quatech virtual com ports. Although, I think these types of devices are touchy and applied in so many different situations that one size does not fit all. I had 2 devices on my Quatech server that are now on a Lantronix wibox. I am not getting an issue with the Lantronix box and v4 of CPR where I can't connect to my W800RF which is the other device connected. I would try v3 but I am on Vista which it is not compatible with, so I considering moving back to XP.

Anyway, glad to see you have had some success. I wish for all my problems there was someone else going through the same thing at the same time.

Back