UPB weak signal

Yea, I guess it's all what you read and take in from the posts, but just to make my point, I clicked on "View New Posts" just now and saw three problems all related to UPB noise issues. ;)

Attachments

• upbposts.jpg
    upbposts.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 33
If everyone happy with their UPB setup posted, you wouldn't even get a chance to see those threads ;)

While no protocol is without problems of some kind, if there were we'd all be using it, ;) I have to say as someone who installs this stuff for a living for the past 12 years, I've been more than happy with UPB. Out of the couple of hundred houses a year that I install at least a little lighting automation into, right now I have two that are giving me grief. One I get noise of death coming from outside the house the other is low signal within. With the exception of those two I've not had even a hint of a problem. Something I never could say about x10, Insteon, Zwave or some others who weren't around long enough to remember their name.

Having played with X-10 several years back with mediocre results, a total nightmare with Insteon (hardware and performance was terrible) UPB in my OPINION is the best I have used so far. I installed it, programmed it, and now I forget about it. Zero maintenance so far but its only been about 6 months. With Insteon I would have replaced about half the devices in that time period.

Not everyone will have the same experience but in my OPINION the hardware that I bought from SAI and Pulseworx is much better quality than any X-10 or INsteon devices I had tried. I think that Insteon Keypads are the best functionally because of the back lighting can show status (works well with the ISY) but they died way to quickly as did regular switches. Hopefully UDI will make an ISY for use with UPB soon as the ISY was great.

I have several LCD TV's, about 6 computers, 6 UPS's, and a whole host of other electronics including a ton of CFL's and I have not seen any weak signals and not once do I remember seeing any noise when I did a comm check with Upstart. I have never noticed a failure of a UPB device to activate when triggered by a linked device. WAF is very high compared to INsteon as well.

Not saying that UPB devices are perfect but they seem to be much more robust than X-10 and INsteon for my use at least.

3) The 'same' phase signal at the PIM and the Device averaged about 10 units more signal than the 'other' phase.
4) My PIM is on the 'other' phase!

It's pretty typical for the "other" phase to be lower than "same." If its MUCH lower, you can benefit from more phase couplers.

By definition, the PIM is plugged in Same not Other. Other would be Same if that were true.

3) The 'same' phase signal at the PIM and the Device averaged about 10 units more signal than the 'other' phase.
4) My PIM is on the 'other' phase!

It's pretty typical for the "other" phase to be lower than "same." If its MUCH lower, you can benefit from more phase couplers.

By definition, the PIM is plugged in Same not Other. Other would be Same if that were true.

My point on same/other was that 40 of my switches are on other and 6 are on same. Given the choice I would move the PIM to the other phase.

Back