New Brultech Energy Monitoring Model (ECM-1240) due in 2009

Only semi follow a lot of this. My thought was to put 2 CT's on mains, facing opposite direction..one measures flow one way, the second measures flow the other way. This now seems to simplistic from what the capabilities of the monitor seem to be

BTW, i am new here and the info is good. Is there anything out there comparable to this (I know TED has been promising something like this, but does not seem it is going to happen)

I followed the "Adventures of TED & the Model 5000" for a year or more...VAPORWARE!

The 1240 handles net metering the same way the 1220 does.

The two main channels each have two "counters" associated with them. One counter counts energy flowing in either direction and the other counter counts energy flowing in only one direction. That direction is user configurable. BrulTech refers to the second counter as the polarized counter.

I'm doing net metering right now with a 1220. I have channel one on the mains and I keep track of total energy flow and energy flowing into the house. Channel two is monitoring the inverter and I only look at energy flowing out of the inverter.

My understanding is that only channels 1 & 2 on the 1240 have the additional counters. The 5 aux channels will count energy flow regardless of direction.

The two main channels each have two "counters" associated with them. One counter counts energy flowing in either direction and the other counter counts energy flowing in only one direction. That direction is user configurable. BrulTech refers to the second counter as the polarized counter.

I'm doing net metering right now with a 1220. I have channel one on the mains and I keep track of total energy flow and energy flowing into the house. Channel two is monitoring the inverter and I only look at energy flowing out of the inverter.

My understanding is that only channels 1 & 2 on the 1240 have the additional counters. The 5 aux channels will count energy flow regardless of direction.

if i understand this, i can get the 1220 and monitor both my usage from the grid (what I pay for)and what i sell back to the grid as well as one other channel (hot water heater)?
Keep in mind I have 2 120v lines coming in and carrying current back to grid on same lines

if i understand this, i can get the 1220 and monitor both my usage from the grid (what I pay for)and what i sell back to the grid as well as one other channel (hot water heater)?
Keep in mind I have 2 120v lines coming in and carrying current back to grid on same lines

Yes (qualified). You can combine multiple current taps on one channel. I have 2 120v lines also, each one has a current tap on it and those two current taps are combined and connected to channel 1. With the two counters, you can get the data about what you're paying for and what you sell, but you need software to do that. You can't get that info on the 1220's LCD. There are some examples showing how to hook this up on the BrulTech web site.

I've been working on a plug-in for MainLobby that tries to keep track of all this and I still don't have everything right. For some reason, I keep having problems wrapping my head around the calculations needed to get the values I want. It looks something like this:

Assuming the channel 1 polarized counter is configured to measure the out-going flow.

For just bought and sold, it's pretty easy.

ch1_polarized_count = energy sold
ch1_total_count - ch1_polarized_count = energy bought

I want to know how much I produced and how much I used.
ch2 polarized_count = energy produced

Used is tricker. Something like
(ch1_total_count - ch1_polarized_count) + (ch2_polarized_count - ch1_polarized_count)

So you need both channels to get all 4 values. I don't think you can get your total used or total produced with only one channel. Does this make sense at all?

Yes (qualified). You can combine multiple current taps on one channel. I have 2 120v lines also, each one has a current tap on it and those two current taps are combined and connected to channel 1. With the two counters, you can get the data about what you're paying for and what you sell, but you need software to do that. You can't get that info on the 1220's LCD. There are some examples showing how to hook this up on the BrulTech web site.

I've been working on a plug-in for MainLobby that tries to keep track of all this and I still don't have everything right. For some reason, I keep having problems wrapping my head around the calculations needed to get the values I want. It looks something like this:

Assuming the channel 1 polarized counter is configured to measure the out-going flow.

For just bought and sold, it's pretty easy.

ch1_polarized_count = energy sold
ch1_total_count - ch1_polarized_count = energy bought

I want to know how much I produced and how much I used.
ch2 polarized_count = energy produced

Used is tricker. Something like
(ch1_total_count - ch1_polarized_count) + (ch2_polarized_count - ch1_polarized_count)

So you need both channels to get all 4 values. I don't think you can get your total used or total produced with only one channel. Does this make sense at all?

Surprisingly, yes. I can get total production from the inverter itself, has a small display on it. What I am most interested in is what I pay for and what I sell, don't trust Duke power completely. When I look at my production (400kW last month) and see my bill (same amount purchased as this time last year, 1200 kW, with only 75kW sold back something seems amiss.

There has been an update to the Status page:

We have implemented a last minute change to the ECM-1240. This change will greatly simplify the installation and make the monitor much more versatile.

This change is a minor one however it will require manually replacing a few PCB resistors. We hope to start shipping by Mar 4 or Mar 5.

Again sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Geez, every delay is bringing MORE features. We should ask them to delay it another month, and I bet by that time this thing will actually GENERATE electricity!

Geez, every delay is bringing MORE features. We should ask them to delay it another month, and I bet by that time this thing will actually GENERATE electricity!

Haha! Nice one.

This change is a minor one however it will require manually replacing a few PCB resistors

This is crazy! Every order they're going to manually change out resistors on the PCB's? Or do it in bulk? Seems like a lot of manual work.

I am all for improvements, I just hope this manual labour doesnt significantly add to the cost.

Haha! Nice one.

This change is a minor one however it will require manually replacing a few PCB resistors

This is crazy! Every order they're going to manually change out resistors on the PCB's? Or do it in bulk? Seems like a lot of manual work.

I am all for improvements, I just hope this manual labour doesnt significantly add to the cost.

While I am looking forward to getting one of these, that kind of line

is usually corporate speak for 'oops, last minute glitch we need to fix before sale'

Haha! Nice one.

While I am looking forward to getting one of these, that kind of line

is usually corporate speak for 'oops, last minute glitch we need to fix before sale'

Sometimes a mfg realizes that they can make a product a lot better but decides not to so as not to delay the product. At least Brultech is doing the right thing (put out the best possible product from day one).

I give them a lot of credit. I dont think I would consider this a screw up but rather a very tough but wise decision to do the right thing for the customer (and thus themselves). Heck they could pull a SH and have you buy a new one in 3 months (or wait 3 years and make everyone buy a new one for just a few resistor changes).

Sometimes a mfg realizes that they can make a product a lot better but decides not to so as not to delay the product. At least Brultech is doing the right thing (put out the best possible product from day one).

I give them a lot of credit. I dont think I would consider this a screw up but rather a very tough but wise decision to do the right thing for the customer (and thus themselves). Heck they could pull a SH and have you buy a new one in 3 months (or wait 3 years and make everyone buy a new one for just a few resistor changes).

I agree! Ill remain optimistic until I have reason not to. The individual communication from these guys has been fantastic, so having that to go on too I am going to stay that way until I have another reason. :)

Our company has been working with Brultech on the development of the ECM-1240. We have developed a web-based service for the monitoring and data storage for all 7 channels on the device.

We are willing to provide a discounted Cocooners rate for anyone wanting to use our service after purchasing the ECM-1240. You can view a live demo of the service at www.check-it.ca if interested.

Back