New Brultech Energy Monitoring Model (ECM-1240) due in 2009

Paul will hopefully chime in here, but it looks like you have some options.
Bruletech web site said:
Seven integrated power meters in one!
  • Two channels with "net" metering capabilities for renewable energy installations.
  • Aux channels capable of any 120V or 240V load.
  • Capable of up to three 15A breakers on a single Aux channel.
  • FIVE additional channels of true power energy metering (Aux1 to Aux5).
  • For any of the 7 power meter channels, a 120v or 240V load may be monitored (as long as they are supplied by a common 120V/240V split-phase source. 240V loads may require a two-CT arrangement).

So I would assume that you will need to use 2 CTs to properly monitor a 240v load. It also looks like you could use 2 AUX channels to do this. Whether or not you can double up 240v loads to monitor 2 at once I don't know. I suspect the total AMPs would be too great on the AUX channels (they can monitor 3 15amp circuits, but that's only 45 AMPs and probably not enough for two 240v loads). But perhaps the 2nd main channel could be used in this fashion. Afterall, those channels seem to have a much higher capacity since they are designed to monitor the whole house load. That way you could monitor the whole house on channel 1, the 240v loads on channel 2 and you would still have your 5 AUX channels to monitor other loads. Of course you'll need confirmation from Brultech that this would work. :angry:

The new packaging looks nice, hope it does make it to market this month as promised, which is a whole lot better than the bit of vaporware that the T.E.D. folks kept teasing with for almost a year (the model 5000).

Even though the new software for the unit apparently isn't quite ready, will we be able to connect and read data via RS-232 and a Terminal program?

First post! :D

I've been eyeing the 1240 for a little while now. Looks like there is an update as of yesterday.

http://www.brultech.com/HomeEnergy/Status.html

Not yet in the store, but shouldn't be long! [/crosses fingers]

Ill likely pull the trigger when it does. Just don't tell my [acronym="darling wife"]dw[/acronym]. :)

I would like to update you all on the status of the ECM-1240. We have been trying our best to get this product out. One last hurdle is for the testing lab to complete FCC verification tests. I am told that they should be completed by Monday of next week.

We appreciate your patience. It is frustrating at this end also.

Paul

Yes, thanks for the update.

I sent an inquiry to Brultech (Paul) this week and got a very quick reply. I was impressed.

Not to worry though, I live near two nuclear plants, so I am not in THAT much of a hurry to start saving electricity. :)

Now if only I could get my Matrix Orbital LCD to work on my OSx86 machine... :D

I see there is another update on Brultech's site.

The ECM-1240 and accessory items are currently in the lab for FCC testing. Completion of the tests are expected by Monday Feb 23. If everything goes well, we will have them on our online store the following day.

We appreciate your patience.

So perhaps we are getting close to a release to market.

wouldn't they have to go to the FCC for wireless testing to make sure it doesn't interfere with broadcast signals?

Well with the addition of 5 new channels[...]

mmm, yeah baby! ;)

OK, in all seriousness I have been waiting in anticipation of release (of this product, get your minds out of the gutter). I have been talking to friends and family about it, and if my experience is good I may have a few other buyers...

I've also been looking into potentially monitoring water usage, but I have a Neptune T-10 so I don't know at this point if it's possible without another water meter installed (not cool).

Well today is the day that Brultech preliminarily set as the release date if there were no FCC hangups. Unfortunately there is no new product in the on-line store. They have also removed the informational "Update" that talked about today as "the day." So I guess they are still not ready to release the product yet. I'm not trying to imply anything bad about this. I'd rather see them put out a fully functional and bug free device than rush something to market that is full of bugs and problems.

They still have indications listed on the site that they are shooting for a February release.

They still have indications listed on the site that they are shooting for a February release.

Yes, I too am waiting in anticipation. [/crosses fingers]

I am actually eagerly awaiting the API (or at least documentation) so I can look at developing something useful at home, even if the hardware isnt released yet...

Well today is the day that Brultech preliminarily set as the release date if there were no FCC hangups. Unfortunately there is no new product in the on-line store. They have also removed the informational "Update" that talked about today as "the day."
I am not sure what they took down (if anything - maybe you are referring to Paul's post above on the 17th about today?), but the site was updated today.

The ECM-1240 and accessory items have passed the testing for FCC compliance. We are trying our best to get them labelled and ready to ship as soon as we can.
We appreciate your patience.
http://www.brultech.com/HomeEnergy/Status.html

Back