monitoring fire sprinkler system

v1rtu0s1ty said:
My question now would be, do we really want to send trouble reports to CS? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Short answer, yes. If you have an open wire that will never send a fire alarm if the fire sprinklers go off you want to know ASAP. Sending the trouble to the CS only means that they will call you, email you, SMS you, they won't call the fire department depending on how you have your notifications set up.

rfdesq said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
My question now would be, do we really want to send trouble reports to CS? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Short answer, yes. If you have an open wire that will never send a fire alarm if the fire sprinklers go off you want to know ASAP. Sending the trouble to the CS only means that they will call you, email you, SMS you, they won't call the fire department depending on how you have your notifications set up.
Ah, thanks again Robert. That clarrifies everything then. :blink:
Would that mean that I have to modify the Telephone settings so that troubles are also sent? By the way, TROUBLE is already turned ON in Communicator.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Would that mean that I have to modify the Telephone settings so that troubles are also sent? By the way, TROUBLE is already turned ON in Communicator.
It depends on what the settings are now. You can set which troubles are communicated. I'm not at my home computer so I can't check ELKRP for you.

Based from your experience, which type of TROUBLEs you would want to notify the CS? This way, I'll have a better idea on what to enable in RP.

Thanks! B)

In my opinion once your system is finished (ok none of us will ever "FINISH") and is stable I would enable all troubles.

In the begining I would go with Life Saftey circuits (FIRE, CO, Panics, AC Loss, Low Bat etc).

I just want to make sure that NextAlaram will never send any police if my system sends a trouble. By the way, how can M1 send a TROUBLE report in sensors like window contacts? How is it different from magnet being moved away from the switch with a wire being cut?

First of all, I like Digger's reply on troubles. Second, make sure NextAlarm does what you want with troubles. Third, your observation is correct, a window contact is either not ready or forceable, if the panel is disarmed, or it alarms if the panel is armed. There is no in between for window contacts. That is not exactly true the way you wired your motion detectors with the second resistor and tamper switch.

rfdesq said:
First of all, I like Digger's reply on troubles. Second, make sure NextAlarm does what you want with troubles. Third, your observation is correct, a window contact is either not ready or forceable, if the panel is disarmed, or it alarms if the panel is armed. There is no in between for window contacts. That is not exactly true the way you wired your motion detectors with the second resistor and tamper switch.
Oh, are you saying that I can simulate trouble in my motion sensor just like how my water flow valve is? If so, can I try removing one of the wire and see if it's going to show a trouble?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Oh, are you saying that I can simulate trouble in my motion sensor just like how my water flow valve is? If so, can I try removing one of the wire and see if it's going to show a trouble?
In a disarmed state either open or short the zone for the motion sensor and you should see a trouble.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Cool, I will try it later :rolleyes:

It should be the same right if it's in ARMED mode?
Absolutely not. In armed mode either opening or shorting the zone will cause an alarm.

hi Robert,

Just got back! I got so swamped in the office. Anyways, it was only a few minutes ago that I tested the removal of one wire for the motion sensor on Zone 1 in my M1XIN board. I didn't see any TROUBLE report. All it showed in the keypad was "NOT READY". I retrieved the latest/newest log, nothing showed up that is relevant to TROUBLE.

So how do I simulate TROUBLE on motion sensors it like what I did with my water flow valve?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
So how do I simulate TROUBLE on motion sensors it like what I did with my water flow valve?
Neil, I think I mis-spoke. It is not really a trouble indication like a broken siren wire on supervised Output 2. Take a look at page 9 of the installation manual for the four state zone wiring on PIR's. You get more of a security alert/not ready conditon. I'll do some pondering on this and get back to you.

Back