Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt with Z-wave availability

Got mine in yesterday!!

Configured them with Homeseer and they are working GREAT!

One button push: turns off all lights, turns off TV, sets the alarm, and locks the doors! Goodnight.

The lazy life is a good life!!

Ty

Got mine installed yesterday. I am very happy with the overall build quality and power locking mechanism.

Note: I currently do not have any sort of Zwave network, so I have not yet tested the wireless functionality of the lock.

Mine have been installed since 7/3.
I have heard complaints about them being "hit or miss" on wireless.

To date, mine have been 100%. Not one single malfunction.
(and I have been playing with them A LOT. So the last few days have not been "normal" usage)

Thus far, VERY happy.

Ty

Being a Z-wave idiot... is there any way to remotely control these with a "keyfob" of sorts. I'm looking for a hackable way to interface them with an ELk.

I've been reading this forum for a while, but only registered today.

Last week, I finally received the two Kwikset Z-Wave locks I had preordered back in May. I had previously purchased Schlage's competing locks, and returned them due to the unattractiveness and huge size of the exterior assembly, the weak 4-digit codes, and--most importantly--the fact that the deadbolt had to be worked by hand.

After installing the Kwikset locks last weekend, I can honestly say that they beat the Schlage locks in every way that matters. The exterior assembly is small and pretty, the tapered deadbolt works beautifully, the setting DIP switch on the back is awesomely geeky, and the motorized deadbolt is extremely convenient.

Reading reviews on the non-Z-Wave version of these locks, it's pretty clear that many people dislike the plastic back cover, but does it really matter? The finish matches the metal exactly, so you can't tell the difference unless you touch it, and it probably helps Z-Wave signal strength. As for the motor being a little loud, I guess you could say that, but I personally like some audible feedback of what's going on mechanically. And sure, the interior assembly is huge, but so is the Schlage's.

I don't have a proper Z-Wave network at the moment (I'm still trying to decide between Vera, HomeSeer and such), so I haven't tried the home automation features yet. But as far as build quality and mechanical functionality are concerned, these locks are just plain awesome.

Gatchel - are you using a fob with your Elk now? If so, I would imagine it would work pretty well with a couple of Elk rules.

basteagow - I concur. I never used the Schlage because they had to be manually locked. What's the point?
I am using mine with Homeseer and an Elk. LOVE them.
As for the noise. I was kinda shocked the first time I heard how loud they were. But, after a few days of use, I really like that they are loud. It feels strange at first to rely on automation to take care of something so important as safety. If the door doesnt lock, my house is not secure.
When they lock correctly they make a noise for a moment. Door is locked. When the door is slightly open and the bolt doesnt engage properly, they make a noise for a few seconds. Either way, I can tell just by listening if the door is secure. Now, I would NOT like it if I couldnt hear them lock.

There are 2 things I hope HS can fix.
1. If the door is slightly open and they dont engage properly, HS shows them as locked. Not good when unlocking/locking from a remote location. i would like to see a lock error message.
2. When I give an unlock command in HS, it takes about 3 1/2 seconds before the lock executes. (not sure if this is an HS thing or a Kwikset thing) Not that big a deal except that I am mounting a finger printer reader at both doors. When you are standing there with your finger on a reader for 3 1/2 seconds waiting for the lock to disengage it feels like forever!

Minor annoyances all in all.

Thanks
ty

Gatchel - are you using a fob with your Elk now? If so, I would imagine it would work pretty well with a couple of Elk rules.

I don't currently have any Z Wave product or controls. I don't want to buy into Z wave 100% just yet so I was wondering if there were a Z wave fob that I could link to the Deadbolts and then have an elk relay(s) wired into the push buttons of the z wave fob for control.

I don't currently have any Z Wave product or controls. I don't want to buy into Z wave 100% just yet so I was wondering if there were a Z wave fob that I could link to the Deadbolts and then have an elk relay(s) wired into the push buttons of the z wave fob for control.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, I dont know of anything that currently interfaces with the locks other than MiCasaVerde and Homeseer and both are through a Zwave network :p

Got mine in yesterday!!

Configured them with Homeseer and they are working GREAT!

One button push: turns off all lights, turns off TV, sets the alarm, and locks the doors! Goodnight.

The lazy life is a good life!!

Ty
Ty,
Which Z-Wave interface are you using?

Is there any update on when the new leviton piece will be available for HAI integration?

Leviton will be releasing a new flash updatable serial interface sometime this year. Once the protocol is written, HAI will add support. There may be another way using a MiCasaVerde Vera (w/UI4 + VRC0P Plug-In) and a Serial to USB converter but I have yet to test that out. If you have a 5.7e or a 10p, you can control them usina Vera as well.

Leviton will be releasing a new flash updatable serial interface sometime this year.

Since receiving and installing my deadbolts, I have been getting more and more antsy to have them actually controllable. I just started looking at what it is going to take to actually control them from a hardware perspective, since I don't have any other Zwave devices I don't currently have any controller.

I dont mind using a USB controller for the short term, but my end goal would be to have a controller directly tied to an OPII. I haven't followed the RZCOP at all, but just started looking for details on one, and found it hard to find a price or availability anywhere. Obviously people have them installed.... where to buy one??? Has it been discontinued with the coming of the new serial interface?

The current part number is VRC0P. The flash updateable one is supposed to be a rolling change so the p/n should not change again. I will certainly let everybody as soon as we know when the new flashable ones are available and then when the code is updated for the locks.

Back