Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt with Z-wave availability

Is there only 1 discount available per order? I was trying to order 4 locks and MiCasaVerde Vera and it is only allowing a discount off of 1 of the locks.

Jay

Wow, my house must be a cracker box compared to your muy grande casa - I only need one :lol:

HomeSeer's latest release has add support for these locks as well, so now you have 2 vendors for Z-Wave controllable locks.

Well, I have the main entry, garage entry, server room and an outside gate that I am going to use them for.

Heheh, I kid, I kid... I actually just looked yesterday at our 2 entry doors from our garage into our home and found they had deadbolts - never noticed them before b/c we never use them. I tried to talk the wife into allowing the purchase of 3 of these (1 for the main door, and 1 for each of these) and she shut it down saying the same thing - that we never use them :-\

Just curious, you say an outside gate... I assume this is in the open weather? Do you have any idea how well this thing will hold up in those conditions?

Are these any different from the Schlege Z-Wave locks available now here and other places?

I read it somewhere a while back and can't find it now.... What is the difference between the Schlage and the Kwikset deadbolts? I know the Kwikset has the ability to remotely lock and unlock. Does the Schlage have the ability to lock, unlock, both, or none (via remote communication obviously)?

IIRC, I think I remember reading that the Schlage can only unlock... but want to confirm.

Kwikset uses a motor to extend and retract the bolt.

Schlage uses a clutch to enable/disable turning of the knob. This allows a person to turn the knob and extend/retract the bolt.

Kwikset uses a motor to extend and retract the bolt.

Schlage uses a clutch to enable/disable turning of the knob. This allows a person to turn the knob and extend/retract the bolt.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I am trying to figure out scenarios that I would see the "remote" functionality being used to determine which one I would prefer.

In either case, are both of them capable of reporting lock/unlock status?

Does the Schlage require the use of LiNK to access the lock? Or has any 3rd party software been developed to interface with the lock?

Schalge can work with their LiNK Bridge (monthly fee), MiCasaVerde Vera or HomeSeer.
Kwikset can work with MiCasaVerde Vera or HomeSeer.

Either will report if the bolt is extended/retracted.

There are advantages/disadvantages to both. The Schlage requires a person to be present to lock/unlock while the Kwikset does not but the door may not be closed when the bolt extends and so on.

Have any of you guys received your locks yet?
No, but i received the following email from ASI a couple of weeks ago:

Kwikset has moved the ship date on these items. We are now expecting them in to our warehouse on 6/23 instead of 6/9. Thank you.

At this time, that is the only way. Once Sigma/Zensys finalizes v4.5, the Leviton serial interface will be updated and you will be able to use the VRC0P-1LW to control the Z-Wave locks with an HAI.
Will the VRC0P-1LW just be a flash update to support the locks?

I've been looking at using locks from Morning Industry Inc. Their locks are controlled by a keyfob. I would have to wire in relays to operate the buttons from my ELK via eKeypad.

Any word if there will be support for the Kwikset z-wave locks for an ELK M1? I already have a z-wave transmitter for the ELK, but have not yet hooked it up.

The Kwikset locks have hit the warehouse. Those who have ordered should see shipping confirmations and tracking numbers today/tomrrow.

Back