INSTEON Paddle Issue - Strange Discovery

I know of no current issue that would stop a device from linking. Call them and be a jerk if you need to.

Whats funny is that some with the bad paddles also didnt link but I used them in areas it didnt matter because it was to hard to prove on the phone with SH tech support. So when the paddles died it was actually the second defect on the switch.

An occasional failure is expected. Constant failures are not good.

I think the "attitude" of the If and When really pisses me off more than anything.

I know of no current issue that would stop a device from linking. Call them and be a jerk if you need to.

I believe they already feel I am a jerk :)

I will be relentless on my postings here and on their forum until they give in. Almost like the power of the press :lol:

I've been following this thread for a little while, and I have a simple question: I have one switch out of my 20 that are installed in my house that is very hard to turn on locally. You have to REALLY push it HARD. Turning off, no problem. I took the paddle of and saw the micro-switch under the paddle and pressed it and the switch worked just fine. So, it looks like the little plastic "plunger" on the back of the paddle needs to be about half a millimeter longer. Will SH replace just the paddle for me? Or is the microswitch actually mounted too deep, and a replacement paddle won't fix it? Of course, you can't tell simply from reading this post, but what is the common thread? Do I have the same problem that this thread is about? What exactly is SH doing to fix the individual failed switches? This switch is not very important to me, as it is not a switch I use very often, but I'd still like to have it fixed.

Skip

I've been following this thread for a little while, and I have a simple question: I have one switch out of my 20 that are installed in my house that is very hard to turn on locally. You have to REALLY push it HARD. Turning off, no problem. I took the paddle of and saw the micro-switch under the paddle and pressed it and the switch worked just fine. So, it looks like the little plastic "plunger" on the back of the paddle needs to be about half a millimeter longer. Will SH replace just the paddle for me? Or is the microswitch actually mounted too deep, and a replacement paddle won't fix it? Of course, you can't tell simply from reading this post, but what is the common thread? Do I have the same problem that this thread is about? What exactly is SH doing to fix the individual failed switches? This switch is not very important to me, as it is not a switch I use very often, but I'd still like to have it fixed.

Skip

Some feel its the paddle and some feel its the microswitch. Maybe its both. SH claims they do nothave a fix yet. I have about a hundred or so extra paddles for V2's so if they wont replace just the paddle I will send you one for free.

I have white, ivory, and a few blacks.

So, it looks like the little plastic "plunger" on the back of the paddle needs to be about half a millimeter longer. Will SH replace just the paddle for me? Or is the microswitch actually mounted too deep, and a replacement paddle won't fix it? Of course, you can't tell simply from reading this post, but what is the common thread?
I think there are actually two problems here than can look like one problem.

1) Some have reported success in dealing with the paddle issue by removing the paddle and slightly stretching the spring so it in essence lengthens the plunger. I tried this once and could not get the paddle back together so I never tried again. Sometimes for me the problem was fixed by replacing the paddle.

2) There are definately some microswitch issues as I had several instances where I tried removing the paddle and depressing the microswitch with a toothpick and the microswitch would still not work.

SH has a potentially huge problem here. I would not want to be them.

So, it looks like the little plastic "plunger" on the back of the paddle needs to be about half a millimeter longer. Will SH replace just the paddle for me? Or is the microswitch actually mounted too deep, and a replacement paddle won't fix it? Of course, you can't tell simply from reading this post, but what is the common thread?
I think there are actually two problems here than can look like one problem.

1) Some have reported success in dealing with the paddle issue by removing the paddle and slightly stretching the spring so it in essence lengthens the plunger. I tried this once and could not get the paddle back together so I never tried again. Sometimes for me the problem was fixed by replacing the paddle.

2) There are definately some microswitch issues as I had several instances where I tried removing the paddle and depressing the microswitch with a toothpick and the microswitch would still not work.

SH has a potentially huge problem here. I would not want to be them.

It might be the spring in the microswitch is weakened over time, damage to the switch itself over time. Who knows for sure. The only thing for sure is a lot of people paid a lot of money and many (not all) are defective. SH messed up. They need to own up.

Sounds like you have a bad paddle. I would call SmartHome customer support, they should send you out a replacement paddle. They've sent me a few with no problems in the past.

Hi Digger,

I have gone through this myself. I am a hardware/software technician and a member of the INSTEON SDK. I would say, give them a chance to make it good, if they won't, dump them and share with everyone.

As you may know, I am using Z-Wave now. I bit about a $800.00 bullet with my INSTEON stuff. I bought it in 05 and early 06, and had high hopes for this company. I have had people advise me to sell what I have on ebay to help recover some of my money. To be honest, I respect mankind too much to do that. The firmware thing is a nightmare. Some poor guy would be getting a basket full of problems with the INSTEON logo firmly attached.

Anyhow, I wish you the best with this. I really, really, know how you feel.

Ken

Hi Digger,

I have gone through this myself. I am a hardware/software technician and a member of the INSTEON SDK. I would say, give them a chance to make it good, if they won't, dump them and share with everyone.

As you may know, I am using Z-Wave now. I bit about a $800.00 bullet with my INSTEON stuff. I bought it in 05 and early 06, and had high hopes for this company. I have had people advise me to sell what I have on ebay to help recover some of my money. To be honest, I respect mankind too much to do that. The firmware thing is a nightmare. Some poor guy would be getting a basket full of problems with the INSTEON logo firmly attached.

Anyhow, I wish you the best with this. I really, really, know how you feel.

Ken

I got some good deals but I am still in it for $2K to $3K or so. I will keep after them until they say uncle or I have a heart attack.

Someone over at the SH Forum is attacking me now. Dont think its a SH person since its Sunday and they are closed.

Thanks for the best wishes. If it kills me my headstone will say "Here Lies Digger. Insteon turned him off" :)

Well, don't know if it is an issue but that was the problem with one switch of 6 that I installed (have another 6 (untested) still in the box. Just wouldn't link no matter what...worked fine for a day...then when I unlinked it wouldn't re-link. However, I was a gentlemen when I dealt with SH, hence, I got my RMA with little effort.

[However, I was a gentlemen when I dealt with SH, hence, I got my RMA with little effort.
I think it all depends on who you get. I have had them RMA stuff with no questions asked and other times they have tried to make me jump through hoops for known issues.

[However, I was a gentlemen when I dealt with SH, hence, I got my RMA with little effort.
I think it all depends on who you get. I have had them RMA stuff with no questions asked and other times they have tried to make me jump through hoops for known issues.

That is my opinion also. Some of the really good people are jason, ryan, and laurie (I said some there must be others).

On the paddle issue, this was interesting: I only have a few icon relay switches (the original green ones). One is in the garage where it does not get used that frequently. Awhile back it kind of stopped working. It is in a three gang box and the sheetrock is not up due to some wiring that is 'in progress'. Mine seems to work occasionally if I move the switch (by messing with the box it is in).

I'm sure my warranty is up now. I think I have another in the basement (still in the box) but I think my 'investment' in 7 year warranties for the full ones is the right way to go and these will be replaced with V2's (with a suitable warranty).

I have also been concerned about the price increases. Fortunately for me, my install is pretty much done (and I have not had problems other than the above lately, although I was quite familiar with swapping out the early switches). Then again I suppose that all those returns need to be paid for somehow...

Those early prophecies of Insteon capturing the market by being on the shelf in Home Depot are not going to pan out (not at $50+). It seems that Insteon has an environmental aspect to its reliability (best way I can think to describe the reports you see here). Some people have no issues, others work fine past x units, others have continual issues (leaving aside units with defects).

Back