INSTEON Paddle Issue - Strange Discovery

SmartHome isn't guaranteeing that these things are going to last any longer than the warranty they're sold with. Obviously they SHOULD last longer.

I've had PC hard drives die 2 months out of warranty. SHOULD they have lasted longer? Sure, but the fact is they're out of warranty and things do fail.
True, but sometimes companies will make exceptions. And given the bad press SH has gotten due to device failures, you would think they would do what ever they could to keep customers happy or sometimes these customers will become former customers.

SmartHome isn't guaranteeing that these things are going to last any longer than the warranty they're sold with. Obviously they SHOULD last longer.

I've had PC hard drives die 2 months out of warranty. SHOULD they have lasted longer? Sure, but the fact is they're out of warranty and things do fail.
True, but sometimes companies will make exceptions. And given the bad press SH has gotten due to device failures, you would think they would do what ever they could to keep customers happy or sometimes these customers will become former customers.

Whats sad is that SH people have read these posts today here and on their forum (I know since one of them emailed me) and they dont seem to care that people are that upset. They just said they will try and do an RMA again next week and if I had a fax machine they could have helped me last week. Why cant they email me the RMA number and address? They sent me over 20 emails last week as it was.

He said it wasn't responding to paddle presses. Could be a completely dead switch. He didn't provide enough information.

They've swapped 3 or 4 paddles in the past few months for me. A couple that weren't working reliably installed, and a couple that didn't feel right out of the box.

Seriously - have your wife slap you in the face a couple times, and call them Monday and get those things replaced.

broke is broke - why does not matter - stand behind your products without excuses

Why does not matter?? They can't replace every switch ever made for free!

Well they should only if its a QC problem or a bad design etc. within the warranty period. If the problem happens during the warranty they should not "wait it out" to acknowledge the fix and make exchanges. Thats bad business. Not saying for sure thats what they are doing since I have no proof but it look like a duck, walks like a duck etc.

If they find a problem in QC or production etc that never should have happened they should take care of the customer.

broke is broke - why does not matter - stand behind your products without excuses

they have to if they are faulty and in warranty - they do not have to if they are out of warranty

but as i said - they can only control their good name by making their customers happy - if it takes a monetary loss, so be it

they have to if they are faulty and in warranty - they do not have to if they are out of warranty

but as i said - they can only control their good name by making their customers happy - if it takes a monetary loss, so be it

Good Customer Service (not just the name of a department but actual service by everyone in the company) leads to a happy customer. A happy customer results in more sales and a better bottom line.

Its simple but they dont get it I guess.

I agree. I am not even sure I understand what is being discussed in this thread. When I have a switch that stops working (ie won't turn on locally) I call SmartHome and get an RMA. I never get into a discussion about paddles vs micro switches or any other technical aspect of their product. I push the button and it no longer comes on.. what more is there to say? Total conversation time is usually less than 1 minute.

Had a hard time sleeping last night so I thougth about this some more.

IF SH absolutely refuses to replace my defective switches I will take 12 of them and do some experiments. For 6 I will resolder the switches to the board. For the other 6 I will buy and replace the microswitch. I will then make test fixture and get some more cheap counters and operate each of them on and off 20 times a day for a month and record the data (if it operated or not etc.

If I find one of these solutions works I will let everyone know and you can decide if you want to repair yours if SH refuses to replace them. Also would be good to know as our warranties expire since SH will not replace them when they are out of warranty.

Maybe I will open an Insteon repair center on the side :) I could make a fortune and retire early.

I agree. I am not even sure I understand what is being discussed in this thread. When I have a switch that stops working (ie won't turn on locally) I call SmartHome and get an RMA. I never get into a discussion about paddles vs micro switches or any other technical aspect of their product. I push the button and it no longer comes on.. what more is there to say? Total conversation time is usually less than 1 minute.

I called over a monthago about a switch that was "crackeling". I pulled it from the wall and I could see carbon tracking on the board through the plastic before I even called. Tech support asked me a few question about address and date code etc. Then he asked me to do a reset. I was like EXCUSE ME?? I explained to him I saw carbon tracking on the baord by the MOV across the line. He again tells me to do a reset. I told him I just want the switch replaced as I am concerned about a fire.

His response.....

Sir if you wont do a reset I cant help you. Why dont you want to do a reset if you are saying you are having dificulty with the product.

I hung up on the guy and tossed the switch.

They read from a script........................Clueless

Someone brought up a guy who tried to return a switch that was out of warranty, and SmartHome refused. That's why we were discussing whether or not they should have let him return it, whether or not the problem he was having was a known issue.

IF SH absolutely refuses to replace my defective switches I will take 12 of them and do some experiments. For 6 I will resolder the switches to the board. For the other 6 I will buy and replace the microswitch. I will then make test fixture and get some more cheap counters and operate each of them on and off 20 times a day for a month and record the data (if it operated or not etc.

If all those switches you have are truly bad, and not due to some powerline issue in your house, DO NOT settle for anything less than replacements. Not EVERYONE is dealing with all the issues you are. I don't have one bad switch in my house, and there's no reason why you should either.

Someone brought up a guy who tried to return a switch that was out of warranty, and SmartHome refused. That's why we were discussing whether or not they should have let him return it, whether or not the problem he was having was a known issue.

If all those switches you have are truly bad, and not due to some powerline issue in your house, DO NOT settle for anything less than replacements. Not EVERYONE is dealing with all the issues you are. I don't have one bad switch in my house, and there's no reason why you should either.

9 bad paddles, one wont link for anything, one flaky (works/doesnt/does/doesnt etc) 2 flicker the lights. None are powerline issues.

I also had the arcing one and 2 others with paddle issues that tech support refused to exchange the last few months as well. I am trying to get them to replace
NO Excuse not to replace these. A couple were bad out of the box.

Dave -

Thanks for the response. I'm actually confused by your message. What particulars in my response did your wife find to be "disgusting?" I'm willing and happy to do whatever it is that I need to get this situation fixed for you. There should not be anything to be "disgusted" with, in my view.

We'll absolutely replace items for you with known issues if and when we have items to replaced them with. I wouldn't want to send you replacement items that contain the same issue you are experiencing.

This is a copy and paste from an email about a week ago. What I am disgusted with is that they say in writing they will replace the devices if and when they have items to replace them with.

This is what has me pissed off. Just replace them like you do for everyone else.

We paid good money for these products and its been months of refusing to replace them.

I know of no current issue that would stop a device from linking. Call them and be a jerk if you need to.

Back