INSTEON Paddle Issue - Strange Discovery

I again brought up the paddle issues with SH that I have had in the past (and present) and that they never took care of. There reply was NOT to replace them when others have had theirs replaced it seems.

To quote them:

"I'd love to replace all of your paddle problems, however, we still do not have a permanent "fix" for this issue. However, please stay tuned, as I'm sure it will be along shortly. Once we have a fix, feel free to let me know and we'll get you taken care of. (if you need to return any recently purchased replacement paddles, let me know, and we can get these returned for refund, etc.)"

This SEEMS to conflict what other people MAY have been told.

Why is it that SH refuses to swap any of my defective products? I guess I complain TO MUCH.

Oh well I just did it again didnt I.

I soooooooooooo wasted my money.

SH followed up with me again when I told them I was disgusted with the fact that I have all of these devices with problems and they wont replace them

To quote them:

"We'll absolutely replace items for you with known issues if and when we have items to replaced them with. I wouldn't want to send you replacement items that contain the same issue you are experiencing. "

So are they saying that they know they are selling defective products or am I reading into this to deeply?

Still no resolution. They are trying to work something out but without a fix for the problem they really dont want to replace the devices. They cant even say when it will be fixed.

I again brought up the paddle issues with SH that I have had in the past (and present) and that they never took care of. There reply was NOT to replace them when others have had theirs replaced it seems.

To quote them:

"I'd love to replace all of your paddle problems, however, we still do not have a permanent "fix" for this issue. However, please stay tuned, as I'm sure it will be along shortly. Once we have a fix, feel free to let me know and we'll get you taken care of. (if you need to return any recently purchased replacement paddles, let me know, and we can get these returned for refund, etc.)"

This SEEMS to conflict what other people MAY have been told.

Why is it that SH refuses to swap any of my defective products? I guess I complain TO MUCH.

Oh well I just did it again didnt I.

I soooooooooooo wasted my money.

SH followed up with me again when I told them I was disgusted with the fact that I have all of these devices with problems and they wont replace them

To quote them:

"We'll absolutely replace items for you with known issues if and when we have items to replaced them with. I wouldn't want to send you replacement items that contain the same issue you are experiencing. "

So are they saying that they know they are selling defective products or am I reading into this to deeply?

Still no resolution. They are trying to work something out but without a fix for the problem they really dont want to replace the devices. They cant even say when it will be fixed.

Well I was supposed to get an RMA # this week so I could return the defective switches via USPS tomorrow. I should have known that they would not come through. SH is now closed and I cant do anything now for another week (if they ever come through with an RMA #).

I am back to be totally disgusted with them. They got my hopes up they would actually swap the defective switches but I guess should have realized they are just trying to shut me up. They admit they do not have a fix for the paddles or the keypadlincs firmware and these problems have been known since the middle of last year. They dont want to take back the flicker/flutter because the new dimmers would have bad paddles.

At this point I have a half finished system and a lot of money invested and now lost.

Jeez, how hard can it be to fix what seems to be a mechanical problem with the rocker. Its not like the light switch is something new. :p

Jeez, how hard can it be to fix what seems to be a mechanical problem with the rocker. Its not like the light switch is something new. :p

Actually if you read the quote from them above I have to "let them know" when they have a fix. How will I know? They dont tell anyone anything. It also says "if and when" meaning that they may not have a fix so that means I am screwed?

The problems seem to be with the microswitch not the paddles. If you take the paddle off and push the switch they still dont work. My GUESS is that the switches are damaged during wave solder or that the surface mount switch connection to the board is being stressed during operation since it is not physically secured to the board.

I have told SH my ideas above and they seem to have ignored my attempts to work with them. Maybe they know the probems but not how to fix them.

The past week seems to have been a bunch of double talk from them trying to shut me up. They did send me the 6 plastic buttons I was asking for the past few months (and sent a few extra's) and I guess they feel that is all they need to do to say they provided what they call "excellent service". I want an RMA # for all of my defective devices but they are refusing saying they dont have working product to send me. Heck if I put cash on the table to "buy more" which they kept telling me to do to fix the reliablity problems they would take my money in a blink of an eye.

EDIT: The SH gods must have seen this as just this morning another dimmer will no longer turn on due to a paddle problem. It went from intermittant to no longer working at all.

Neither would a Keypadlinc Relay necessarily be new. But I dont know if I will see one in my lifetime. Heck I might not see a paddle resoloution in my lifetime.

Actually if you read the quote from them above I have to "let them know" when they have a fix. How will I know? They dont tell anyone anything. It also says "if and when" meaning that they may not have a fix so that means I am screwed?

The problems seem to be with the microswitch not the paddles. If you take the paddle off and push the switch they still dont work. My GUESS is that the switches are damaged during wave solder or that the surface mount switch connection to the board is being stressed during operation since it is not physically secured to the board.

I have told SH my ideas above and they seem to have ignored my attempts to work with them. Maybe they know the probems but not how to fix them.

The past week seems to have been a bunch of double talk from them trying to shut me up. They did send me the 6 plastic buttons I was asking for the past few months (and sent a few extra's) and I guess they feel that is all they need to do to say they provided what they call "excellent service". I want an RMA # for all of my defective devices but they are refusing saying they dont have working product to send me. Heck if I put cash on the table to "buy more" which they kept telling me to do to fix the reliablity problems they would take my money in a blink of an eye.

EDIT: The SH gods must have seen this as just this morning another dimmer will no longer turn on due to a paddle problem. It went from intermittant to no longer working at all.

SH apparently saw this posting or the one on their forum. They stated that they will try and get an RMA number for me next week. I heard the same thing last Saturday and emaile them a list of all devices on Monday. In 5 days they were not able to issue an RMA number. Supposedly it was my fault since I do not have a fax machine. WHY do I need a fax machine?

i think the 'paddle problem' is the contacts in the microswitch - someone said it might be oxidation - whatever it is, i think it is a problem that has existed a long time - i had the problem with my x10 switchlinc dimmers - when i returned to smarthome to buy replacements, they were discontinued

so i bought into the 'hybrid network' - sorry, but i don't think it can be done (though others say it can) - using x10 assignments in my insteon, i planned on being able to use my touchpad, key chain fobs, ir controller and x10 outlets along with houselinc and insteon - so i kept buying into the 'more is better' (as advised by smarthome) and kept buying more insteon keypads, dimmers, relays and lamplincs (adding 4 additional (now obsolete) rflincs and 2 'new and insteon compatible' boosterlincs) - so with about 25 keypads and probably 40 other insteon devices, i still had horrible insteon and x10 communication on the powerline

i made the decision to keep forging on with insteon, giving up my x10 - 2 new boosterlincs ($200), phase coupler, i/r and r/f bridges, timerlinc touchpad, old boosterlinc and x10 outlets (replaced with those ugly wall warts) thrown in the box with my 50 or so x10 switchlinc dimmers and relays - i also removed every x10 address from every insteon device

the insteon communications is now reliable but, using houselinc and the plc gives me no solution to keeping the keypad button status lights in sync unless i enable x10 (there is a frimware thread somewhere that talks about allowing us to use the load in a scene with the buttons on the same keypad - it was reported that they will replace our keypads free too - like that will happen) - i also want one button on about 15 keypads to turn on/off most of the lights in my house to a preset level - which means lots of events, each with many devices in houselinc - the workaround (when it does not work) is to add a delay between every device - still no luck

so with the known (and still unaddressed) problems in houselinc (and the sdm problems) i decided to toss the houselinc disc and plc in my growing box of craplincs - my replacement is the universal devices isy-26

i asked the universal devices nerdlincs some questions before buying it and they suggested i buy from smarthome since it cost less (20% 'sale') than buying directly from them - so i did - but the smarthome plm shipped with the isy was backleveled and incompatible with the isy - when i called smarthome, they said it must be the latest plm since they just shipped it - so the problem must be the isy - i was told they know nothing about the isy and to call universal devices - great help there smarthome

so i call universal devices - the nerdlinc was apologetic for smarthome's screwup and shipped me a new one overnight (and paid the return shipping for the old one!) - it lasted almost 2 weeks before it went craplinc but once again, universal devices is shipping me a new plm overnight - when i was having problems with the second plm, i sent an e/mail to universal devices at 22:00 wednesday night - it was immeditely answered and the tech called me that night to troubleshoot the problem - he shipped the new plm overnight so i would have it friday - can't say enough about the excellent support from universal devices

when i had a failed dimmer i called smarthome (for the smarthome cheerleading squad - yes - i had the dimmer out of the box, my tools at hand and my headset in my phone so i could jump through the hoops) - the resolution was for me to buy another dimmer and if it fixed the problem, call back to discuss a rma - i have only had one successful rma with smarthome - it was under a plc replacement program - it took about 6 calls and probably a month to get them to honor the swap

i think these new companies are offering great customer service and technical support - they are open to product suggestions and enhancements - i wish them the best and they have won my dedication - i also suspect they were once smarthome/smartlabs employees that were turned out - the irony being, if insteon can be salvaged, it will be these new companies that do it - they have introduced insteon products that fill huge gaps - and all i have seen from smarthome is a socketlinc and a remote that requires me to replace my rflincs - i bet the brains at these new companies gave birth to insteon and smarthome killed the goose that laid the golden egg

when will the problems be addressed with houselinc? oh - forgot - the fix is a new 'policy' to not discuss such - but yea - a new 'blog' (meaning more hype on the existing craplincs) - where is the insteon enabled first alert alarms? or any devices from the 'alliance'

at least i can take solace that is did not fall for the $200 sdk hype - as i understand it, that has been abandoned too

my advice for anyone considering insteon is to mark it off the list and research other products - do not be put off when people use words to discount x10 (like 'legacy) - do not expect insteon and x10 'hybrid' networks to be reliable - do not start into insteon and expect any fixes or enhancements from smarthome - and do not start into insteon believing a product will become available in the future

if you choose to go with insteon, be prepared to replace failed devices - and hope that the needed replacement is still offered by smarthome - you should probably have extra devices on hand because if you can get a return, you will have to send the bad one back first and wait for the new one (or pay for a new one if you want to have is cross shipped)

if someone is already too heavily invested in insteon to abandon it, i would advise them to seek out products and help from these new startup companies

i wish someone would make a replacement for the smarthome/smartlabs produced keypads, dimmers and relays - ones that actually work and could hold up to time and use - that would allow those of us invested in craplincs to migrate to a reliable product if (lol - if) our keypads, dimmers and relays fail

in any event - i have decided to be a cheerleader for the startup companies - i only hope i can be as annoying as the smarthome cheerleaders - i feel bad for the employees that must defend smarthome though - i feel even worse for the installer guys that are placed in a position to defend insteon devices to end users

smarthome lost me from the cheerleading squad - and it'll take more than laser etching to get me back

i think the 'paddle problem' is the contacts in the microswitch - someone said it might be oxidation - whatever it is, i think it is a problem that has existed a long time - i had the problem with my x10 switchlinc dimmers - when i returned to smarthome to buy replacements, they were discontinued

so i bought into the 'hybrid network' - sorry, but i don't think it can be done (though others say it can) - using x10 assignments in my insteon, i planned on being able to use my touchpad, key chain fobs, ir controller and x10 outlets along with houselinc and insteon - so i kept buying into the 'more is better' (as advised by smarthome) and kept buying more insteon keypads, dimmers, relays and lamplincs (adding 4 additional (now obsolete) rflincs and 2 'new and insteon compatible' boosterlincs) - so with about 25 keypads and probably 40 other insteon devices, i still had horrible insteon and x10 communication on the powerline

i made the decision to keep forging on with insteon, giving up my x10 - 2 new boosterlincs ($200), phase coupler, i/r and r/f bridges, timerlinc touchpad, old boosterlinc and x10 outlets (replaced with those ugly wall warts) thrown in the box with my 50 or so x10 switchlinc dimmers and relays - i also removed every x10 address from every insteon device

the insteon communications is now reliable but, using houselinc and the plc gives me no solution to keeping the keypad button status lights in sync unless i enable x10 (there is a frimware thread somewhere that talks about allowing us to use the load in a scene with the buttons on the same keypad - it was reported that they will replace our keypads free too - like that will happen) - i also want one button on about 15 keypads to turn on/off most of the lights in my house to a preset level - which means lots of events, each with many devices in houselinc - the workaround (when it does not work) is to add a delay between every device - still no luck

so with the known (and still unaddressed) problems in houselinc (and the sdm problems) i decided to toss the houselinc disc and plc in my growing box of craplincs - my replacement is the universal devices isy-26

i asked the universal devices nerdlincs some questions before buying it and they suggested i buy from smarthome since it cost less (20% 'sale') than buying directly from them - so i did - but the smarthome plm shipped with the isy was backleveled and incompatible with the isy - when i called smarthome, they said it must be the latest plm since they just shipped it - so the problem must be the isy - i was told they know nothing about the isy and to call universal devices - great help there smarthome

so i call universal devices - the nerdlinc was apologetic for smarthome's screwup and shipped me a new one overnight (and paid the return shipping for the old one!) - it lasted almost 2 weeks before it went craplinc but once again, universal devices is shipping me a new plm overnight - when i was having problems with the second plm, i sent an e/mail to universal devices at 22:00 wednesday night - it was immeditely answered and the tech called me that night to troubleshoot the problem - he shipped the new plm overnight so i would have it friday - can't say enough about the excellent support from universal devices

when i had a failed dimmer i called smarthome (for the smarthome cheerleading squad - yes - i had the dimmer out of the box, my tools at hand and my headset in my phone so i could jump through the hoops) - the resolution was for me to buy another dimmer and if it fixed the problem, call back to discuss a rma - i have only had one successful rma with smarthome - it was under a plc replacement program - it took about 6 calls and probably a month to get them to honor the swap

i think these new companies are offering great customer service and technical support - they are open to product suggestions and enhancements - i wish them the best and they have won my dedication - i also suspect they were once smarthome/smartlabs employees that were turned out - the irony being, if insteon can be salvaged, it will be these new companies that do it - they have introduced insteon products that fill huge gaps - and all i have seen from smarthome is a socketlinc and a remote that requires me to replace my rflincs - i bet the brains at these new companies gave birth to insteon and smarthome killed the goose that laid the golden egg

when will the problems be addressed with houselinc? oh - forgot - the fix is a new 'policy' to not discuss such - but yea - a new 'blog' (meaning more hype on the existing craplincs) - where is the insteon enabled first alert alarms? or any devices from the 'alliance'

at least i can take solace that is did not fall for the $200 sdk hype - as i understand it, that has been abandoned too

my advice for anyone considering insteon is to mark it off the list and research other products - do not be put off when people use words to discount x10 (like 'legacy) - do not expect insteon and x10 'hybrid' networks to be reliable - do not start into insteon and expect any fixes or enhancements from smarthome - and do not start into insteon believing a product will become available in the future

if you choose to go with insteon, be prepared to replace failed devices - and hope that the needed replacement is still offered by smarthome - you should probably have extra devices on hand because if you can get a return, you will have to send the bad one back first and wait for the new one (or pay for a new one if you want to have is cross shipped)

if someone is already too heavily invested in insteon to abandon it, i would advise them to seek out products and help from these new startup companies

i wish someone would make a replacement for the smarthome/smartlabs produced keypads, dimmers and relays - ones that actually work and could hold up to time and use - that would allow those of us invested in craplincs to migrate to a reliable product if (lol - if) our keypads, dimmers and relays fail

in any event - i have decided to be a cheerleader for the startup companies - i only hope i can be as annoying as the smarthome cheerleaders - i feel bad for the employees that must defend smarthome though - i feel even worse for the installer guys that are placed in a position to defend insteon devices to end users

smarthome lost me from the cheerleading squad - and it'll take more than laser etching to get me back

Well said..... and I feel your pain.

Consider using PLC groups for this.

does houselinc support groups?

i would have used scenes (i guess that means groups) but i can't use the button and the load on a keypad in the same scene - i need that in almost every keypad i have - so i had to set up events in houselinc

maybe i am doing something wrong

Author Topic
Bubba

USA
36 Posts
Posted - 04/26/2007 : 10:11:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called tech support yesterday to RMA an Icon that was not responding to a paddle press. I was told it only had a 1 year warranty and asked if I wanted to buy a new one.

I was very disapointed that SH refused to even send me a new paddle. I understand it was out of waranty, but I also know that this is a known issue affecting many many devices and SH should do all they can to help their customers.

I think I will go dig up an old Appliancelinc and RMA it for the hell of it.

This guy had the same problem as me from his post on SH Forum. They screwed him to.

Author Topic
Bubba

USA
36 Posts
Posted - 04/26/2007 : 10:11:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called tech support yesterday to RMA an Icon that was not responding to a paddle press. I was told it only had a 1 year warranty and asked if I wanted to buy a new one.

I was very disapointed that SH refused to even send me a new paddle. I understand it was out of waranty, but I also know that this is a known issue affecting many many devices and SH should do all they can to help their customers.

I think I will go dig up an old Appliancelinc and RMA it for the hell of it.

This guy had the same problem as me from his post on SH Forum. They screwed him to.

Author Topic Page: 1 2 of 2
sweezy
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts
Posted - 10/04/2006 : 7:01:06 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the paddles on the new v2.5 switches are not always balanced (ie. top will have more resistance than the bottom and in some cases it's so out of wack that you need to press really hard on the button for it to respond).

On several of my switches I have had to pop off the paddle and adjust the springs that control the balance to fix this problem. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this

Paul_PDX
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 10/05/2006 : 12:21:44 PM

That sounds like the problem I have with almost all of my Icon switches. I hope they haven't changed the paddle design on the Insteon ones to match the Icons...

BLH

376 Posts
Posted - 10/05/2006 : 1:32:36 PM

I had a few older rev ones with the spring out of place and the paddle BENT it as it was sideways in the housing.

mike
Administrator

USA
1131 Posts
Posted - 10/06/2006 : 09:44:07 AM

I have not heard of this before but I have sent a note to our QC department.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net

matthunter
Average Member

123 Posts
Posted - 10/06/2006 : 10:58:56 AM

We're also having problems with the air gaps of the newer switches. They don't stick in the off position at all.

Matt
220, 221 whatever it takes!

mike
Administrator

USA
1131 Posts
Posted - 10/06/2006 : 12:13:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matthunter

We're also having problems with the air gaps of the newer switches. They don't stick in the off position at all.

This was addressed and fixed. A small portion of product left the warehouse with this issue.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net

bmil
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 10/06/2006 : 9:40:49 PM

Several of my Icon switches that have been in for several months are now starting to experience problems with the paddles. You now have to hit either the top or bottom much harder or 2 or 3 times to toggle on or off. Bet those little microswitches are starting to wear out. This seems to be a developing problem with several of my friends also.

Smarthome's QC people need to look at the mechanical hardware specs or perhaps the offshore manufacturer they are now using...

In this thread SH MIke was made aware of this 8 months ago.

You have to remember that not EVERY bad switch is due to a paddle flaw. I'm not saying SmartHome shouldn't have replaced it for him, but a warranty is a warranty. If it's a known issue, and considered a flaw in the design, like the paddle issue - then it should have been swapped.

SmartHome isn't guaranteeing that these things are going to last any longer than the warranty they're sold with. Obviously they SHOULD last longer.

I've had PC hard drives die 2 months out of warranty. SHOULD they have lasted longer? Sure, but the fact is they're out of warranty and things do fail.

You have to remember that not EVERY bad switch is due to a paddle flaw. I'm not saying SmartHome shouldn't have replaced it for him, but a warranty is a warranty. If it's a known issue, and considered a flaw in the design, like the paddle issue - then it should have been swapped.

SmartHome isn't guaranteeing that these things are going to last any longer than the warranty they're sold with. Obviously they SHOULD last longer.

I've had PC hard drives die 2 months out of warranty. SHOULD they have lasted longer? Sure, but the fact is they're out of warranty and things do fail.

He said it was a bad paddle. How on the phone can SH tell if it is or not? The should have had him send it back to be checked at the very least. If it was a bad paddle (I wold bet money it was) they should have replaced it for the guy.

Mine are under warranty and they dont want to replace them. So they are avoiding the issue.

Back