HA Technology Comparison Spreadsheet

Added Tallus LLC to chart.

Tallus currently supports adding new functionality to MainLobby and CQC systems.
Hard to describe that in the spreadsheet :)

There is no mention of xAP or xPL in the spreadsheet and this spans both hardware controllers and software interfaces. Anything that uses the xAP protocol is a capability provided by Homeseer and an xAP-only environment is also a viable automation solution. It is more popular in Europe than US. Some references for capabiliteis provided are http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?tit...AP_Applications and http://mcssprinklers.com/xapXap.htm. For example 1-wire capability is provided by opnode microcontroller that interfaces via IP and this IP interface is supported by Homeseer to provide a 1-wire capability. Similary a PC-based solution xapmcs1Wire provides a 1-wire capability that can be used by any one xAP controller of application such as Homeseer. I usderstood that CQC also has xAP under the hood, but I do not know for certain.

Not sure if xAP and xPL should be listed as products to compare but should rather be added as point of comparison features for products listed in the sheet. Adding two lines to each category for "Supports xAP" (y/n) and "Supports xPL (y/n) might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Not sure how best to include Tallus but there must be a way.

Feel free to correct the HomeWorks data if it is wrong.

Got drawn into a large email and collaboration project at my local utility and have not had time to rework the sheet as promised. I am depending on the folks who originally contributed to the various categories to keep things up to date until I can find time to give it a proper facelift.

Not sure if xAP and xPL should be listed as products to compare but should rather be added as point of comparison features for products listed in the sheet. Adding two lines to each category for "Supports xAP" (y/n) and "Supports xPL (y/n) might be the way to go. Thoughts?

I see these two as having places on the Controller and Software pages. In the Controller page it would be included in a similiar manner that "web server" is included. Web Server is really HTTP over IP. xAP over IP and xPL over IP would be the equivalent.

On the Software page there would be one entry for the opnode family in the controller row. There would be columns added for xAP and xPL just as there are columns for CQC, Girder etc. Both xAP and xPL environments contain automation logic and ability to interact with a multitude of other widgets.

There is other crossover on the lightning and audio pages, but I do not think the spirit of the two pages would benefit with trying to be 100% complete.

Great resource!

Let me suggest (or make myself if/after I get contributor rights) some changes to the overall spreadsheet and specifically to Centralite. I recently added hardwired Centralite XL to my system to supplement my homebrew and DMX system and to better capitalize on the hardwired AC and low-voltage wiring I laboriously installed over the years.

1) Consider adding a row for native mode fan control. Centralite has fan control units that operate using switched capacitors such as that in fans themselves. No buzzing or humming.

2) Consider adding a row for DMX input. Centralite provides a DMX Link module to allow the Centralite system to control up to 193 Centralite channels from DMX512a input (DMX512 = 250K RS-485) in addition to the other conventional inputs (switches, RS-232, etc).

3) Consider adding a row ( or some other way to designate) Control by single-pole single-throw momentary contact closure. Centralite wall (and other switches) are simple SPST, making fabrication of home-brew switches or other inputs *very* easy.

The following entries are erroneous or missing for hard-wired Centralite Elegance XL which is a superset of sorts of the Elegance, Litejet and Elite lines. The latter two have been superceded as best I know. Most/many of the comments below also pertain to Elite and LiteJet and Elegance (but not the zigbee-based JetStream).

1) Can set default level for local operation should be "Yes"
2) Can set default ramp rate for local operation should be "Yes".
3) Switches report status when operated locally should be "No."
4) Shallow form-factor for tight wiring spaces should be "Yes". ( switches are ~ 7/8" deep; in a pinch, the RJ-45 connector could be removed -- relying on the paralled screw terminals -- to reduce thickness to ~5/8")
5) Dual load switches should be "Yes" -- if I understand what "Dual Load" means.
6) True Rocker = "No".
7) Engraved label option = "Yes".
8) Double tap for fast on or other option = "Yes".
9) Switch and Keypad firmware is field upgradable. The switches are single-pole, single-throw momentary contacts. So there is no firmware and no need to upgrade. Table should indicate "NA" not "No".
10) Vacation Mode is incorrectly stated as "No". Should be "Yes". If "Vacation Mode" ~= "Vacation Scene".
12) TimeClock functions incorrectly stated as "No" should be "Yes".
13) Shade/blind control Incorrectly stated as "No". But Centralite does explicitly support shades and blinds with low-voltage output modules and detailed application notes so = "Yes".
14) RF Keyfobs incorrectly stated as "No" should be "Yes".
15) Any Switch Can Trigger a Scene is incorrectly listed as "No". should be "Yes".

There are some other fields that I think would be best described by "NA" rather than what is shown.

HTH ... Marc

Doing a complete review and update has been on my to do list for over a year but is still kind of low priority. I hope the various contributors are keeping their areas of interest up to date and are not depending on me to get to it.

I guess there needs to be rows for iPad, iPhone, and Android clients. We now have support for those. Remind me again how I sign into this guy and make changes?

I guess there needs to be rows for iPad, iPhone, and Android clients. We now have support for those. Remind me again how I sign into this guy and make changes?

You do not need a google account to edit the spreadsheet but you do need to have sent me an email account of some sort that I would have associated the editing rights to and that is where the invitiation to edit would have gone. (Look for an old message from me entitled HA Comparison Spreadsheet). You then have to use that email address when you log in to google. So you would open a browser to the Google home page. Log in using the email address you gave me. Then go to the spreadsheet. Because you are logged in to google with the correct account you will be able to edit.

You do not need a google account to edit the spreadsheet but you do need to have sent me an email account of some sort that I would have associated the editing rights to and that is where the invitiation to edit would have gone. (Look for an old message from me entitled HA Comparison Spreadsheet). You then have to use that email address when you log in to google. So you would open a browser to the Google home page. Log in using the email address you gave me. Then go to the spreadsheet. Because you are logged in to google with the correct account you will be able to edit.

You mean a PM from you? I don't have any saved PMs or anything. I'll send you my e-mail.

The Multiroom audio can be updated for NUVO,

They DO have a wireless LCD remote
They DO have streaming media with metadata feedback.
They DO have local room source sent to other rooms

Back