[Guide] An introduction to the Insteon world

SmartHome plans to ship the first 3 Insteon SKUs on May 25th, 2005. Prices start at $19.99. I believe they are the RF Signalinc, the Controlinc and the LampLinc dimmer module.

The Controlinc is similar to an X-10 maxi controller. It has a tilt/swing stand on the back so it can stand up (on its front edge). The tilt stand can be removed and then the Controlinc is designed to wall mount in a double gang box. The unit would still hang out the front, it is not flush to the wall, so it would appear similar to a thermostat or alarm keypad. The price is expected to be $29 ($39 at the most).

The ApplianceLinc and LampLinc modules (and presumably the wall switches) ARE fully backward compatible with good old X-10. Of course they don't offer much advantage when used this way, but it offers compatibility with existing systems. The receivers actually listen for both the old X-10 PLC commands (using housecode/unitcode) and the new Insteon PLC commands (24 bit hardware serial, like a MAC address). They do not need to be switched between an old X-10 (slow) mode and the new Insteon (fast) mode, like we were previously led to believe.

The network is advertised as dual-band, but that is a bit misleading at this stage. The only units to use RF so far will be the RF SignaLincs, which are used to bridge the residential phases. The modules and wall switches so far are Insteon & X-10 PLC, but not RF. This is primarily done to reduce costs as adding RF adds significantly to the basic module cost. Eventually there will be battery powered RF devices (motion detectors, thermostats, etc). These devices MAY be RF repeaters as that choice is left up to the manufacturer, but that may be a waste of battery resources. It makes more sense to let AC powered devices (such as a SignaLinc) do the RF repeating.

SmartHome claims that when using the Insteon protocol, devices can respond in 0.04 seconds, then add another 0.04 seconds for the acknowledgment as Insteon is fully 2 way. If the command needs to be repeated to reach its target, then the response time would multiply. If you are using the old X-10 addressing, then it is the expected 2/3 second response time. SmartHome claims an RF range of 150 ft and a speed of 10 messages per second. The command can also have a payload of up to 16 bytes, so you can actually transmit data via Insteon.

There are a total of 10 Insteon products planned to be released by the end of July. These 10 products are actually 18 SKUs, which I believe is due to 2 pin vs 3 pin, etc

All LEDS are now white & color caps will be available. The KeypadLinc can have different colors for different buttons.

The Software Developers Kit should be released within 30 days. It is $99 and will include a computer interface and at least one module. The protocol will be open. There will be a Hardware Developers Kit available sometime later. This is essentially the same thing, but in a raw circuit board format suitable for mounting in a panel (such as JDS, HAI, Elk).

There is a PowerLinc module planned which can emulate an X-10 TW-523 module. This would give instant Insteon support to legacy hardware panels (such as JDS?) I suggested that they also needed a CM11a or 1132C emulater to give the same instant access to more modern software applications (such as HomeSeer) and they seemed receptive.

When SmartHome tested the fist batch of hardware they had 3 mangled data commands/packets out of 63,000 sent, so the error rate seems pretty low. Insteon mode operates at 131.65 kHz for PLC and 902-924 MHz for RF. Computer interfaces are planned with RS232, USB and Ethernet interfaces.

It is well past the original posts in this message, but I hope to provide some updates.

"The compatibility with X-10 means that an Insteon switch can be programmed for traditional X-10 functionality OR Insteon mode. They can NOT do both at the same time. "

This is not accurate. each Insteon device can be addressed by one or the other protocols simultaneously. You can have an X10 controller talking to an Insteon switch using X10, and another Insteon device talking to the switch using the Insteon protocol.

The RF signalincs, while acting as a bridge between power line phases, also can be used to increase the distance of networks, and receive RF Insteon signals from handheld devices (in development). The act as repeaters in the dual-mesh network.

Setup of Insteon devices is very simple... X10 addressing is some by putting devices in setup mode and broadcasting the same x10 address three times. Insteon addresses come from he factory preset (there can be over 16MM addresses).

Insteon's chief advantage, IMHO, is that it is MUCH more reliable, eliminates false negatives, almost all devices act as repeaters, status of devices built into the protocol, and as more devices are added, the network becomes more robust, INCREASING reliability.

I have about 10 devices installed now, along with a USB PLC ... the software is rudimentary and only timer controlling in this version. I have about 20 switches on order. So far the stuff is awesome.

There are two lines, the Insteon line, and the Icon line. Icon is a lower price point with fewer features and less warranty. Both lines allow each device to be part of 417 scenes. AS for controlling multi-way switches, much easier than x10... as many switches can be linked and cross-linked together as you like... not circuit dependent.

I love it... there is no other automation protocol out there that I would choose, this is it. Robust, cheap, 100% reliable, growing in support, compatible with x10, plug-ins for Homeseer... what else do you want? :blink:

HTH-Carl

QuickCarl said:
I love it... there is no other automation protocol out there that I would choose, this is it. Robust, cheap, 100% reliable, growing in support, compatible with x10, plug-ins for Homeseer... what else do you want? :blink:

HTH-Carl
Here is a short list of what else I want:

1- A translator that emulates a PSC05. Translating X-10 signals to Insteon after they are on the powerline is not quite doing the job.

2- A wall mount for the ControLinc console

3- Software to rapidly program device links. Manual linking may seem nifty when you have 10 devices but once you go over 50 it starts to get old and the fact that you can't backup and restore all that "linking effort" is a real concern.

4- Screw-in and fixture modules.

5- A relay version of the KeypadLinc.

6- Palmpad and Hawkeye type RF devices.

7- An Insteon appliance module with a true air-gap disconnect on the local control circuit.

I have one more. An ApplianceLinc V2 that can run with a flouresecnt light that has an inductive ballast and doesn't short out and smoke. Like mine did. Or the replacement that the noise spikes from the light don't drive the thing crazy.

QuickCarl said:
I love it... there is no other automation protocol out there that I would choose, this is it. Robust, cheap, 100% reliable, growing in support, compatible with x10, plug-ins for Homeseer... what else do you want? :angry:
Umm, setup software like UPStart for UPB. Not just for link management, but switch setup, troubleshooting, etc. and better more complete vendor support. Current vendors Insteon support is not even close to their UPB support.

When those are in place I will consider cross pollinating Insteon with my UPB.

And BTW, Welcome to CocoonTech!

QuickCarl said:
I love it... there is no other automation protocol out there that I would choose, this is it. Robust, cheap, 100% reliable, growing in support, compatible with x10, plug-ins for Homeseer... what else do you want? :D

HTH-Carl
I want duplex switches and dimmers. This is two real devices in a 1-gang electrical box. No automation network supports it yet, so it would make a difference for me.
Every switch in the common and exterior areas of my house have duplex siwtches.

You asked! :angry:

I don't think we are going to see duplex switches anytime soon... but it would seem to me that you might be able to use Keypadlincs... If you have two distinct loads controlled by one duplex switch in a single gang box, then I can only imagine that you would have to replace that with a 2 gang box.

As for the appliancelinc with true air gap, agree 100%.

I would love to see some IR to Insteon translation, motion detectors, duplex plugs, and screw in bulb mounts.

But, I'm sure that quite a few of these thigns are on the product development list.

As for software, you might want to check out PowerHome at www.power-home.com

Back