[Guide] An introduction to the Insteon world

Rupp said:
You can bet there will be an Insteon plugin very soon.
Do you have a source for that info? Will it be from HST or third-party? Free or what price? Will there be a UPB plugin too?

Well, I have been rethinking this Insteon technology a bit.

It sounds more like they have a proprietary protocal which sends its information over the powerline which will talk only to other Insteon modules. It also has two plugin modules that transmit RF and "talk" to each other. If you plug these units into separate phases, this will couple those phases without a signal coupler/repeater in your breaker box.

One advantage of this RF is that you could place say and Insteon motion sensor (or other future products) that will transmit RF as well and have the system be able to talk to it without having to be wired into the powerline!

Also, if this new Insteon protocol is as robust and reliable as something like UPB, then it will be well worth it.

I guess it is to early to tell. If there is a computer based soluton/controller AND a software package such as Homeseer that was able to communicate with it, this could be a bridge between Insteon and your current X-10 systems. I wouldn't like this because my Ocelot would not be able to communicate with Insteon (without any computer). Unless of course if Applied Digital decided to create an Insteon compatible device as well.

smee said:
I think it's safe to assume there will be a computer interface. Smarthome seems to be pretty good about these things. If we're lucky, maybe that interface will be able to send out (and receive) both Insteon and x10 commands.
They did have a large controller box at CES, but it was compared to the "Maxi Controller" and there was no mention of any ties to a computer interface at this time.

QUOTE (Rupp @ Jan 8 2005, 10:16 PM)
You can bet there will be an Insteon plugin very soon.

Do you have a source for that info? Will it be from HST or third-party? Free or what price? Will there be a UPB plugin too?

One of the nice things about HomeSeer is the community supporting it. If there is a demand for a certain type of plugin, someone sits down and writes it pretty quickly. Look at what happened with the Elk M1.

The only thing I think would be a problem is if SmartHome kept the RS232/USB connection protocol private. Or only let it out to "selected" connectivity partners.

BSR,

Thanks for the updated information. I think several of us also acquired the "hurt puppy dog look" with this bit of "sad" news.

I guess we all had higher expectations.

Would this mean that Insteeon would be "similar to the UPB, that is, faster powerline control, combined with X10 in the same switch" ? and it's an either / or setting?

JohnBullard said:
Would this mean that Insteeon would be "similar to the UPB, that is, faster powerline control, combined with X10 in the same switch" ? and it's an either / or setting?
Here again, based on what I THINK the answer is yes. Insteon is sort of like UPB in the sense that it provides its own unique signal to other Insteon products over the power line. It has more "codes" than X-10 and is also faster (probably because they don't have to wait for the 60 hz zero crossing for their signals).

The compatability with X-10 means that an Insteon switch can be programmed for traditional X-10 fuctionality OR Insteon mode. They can NOT do both at the same time.

If the Insteon signal is as good as UPB this may not be a bad product considering its pricing (about a third or less than UPB switches). I think we will just have to play around with this and also see how versatile their product line is (motion detectors, controller, computer interfaces, etc...) when they come out.

Yeah, when I get them I'll post what I can. Part of the beta agreement also includes some pretty tightly worded non-disclosure stuff though.

Martin,

I believe we all understand and can appreciate the nondisclosure agreement, but maybe you will be able to answer the question about the "either / or"

JohnBullard said:
... maybe you will be able to answer the question about the "either / or"
John:

I thought I explained that in my prior post. You can use either Insteon or X-10 but not both.

The Insteon will not talk to the X-10 unless you use something like Homeseer and a "future" computer interface/plugin for the Insteon protocal.

I had a chance to talk with representatives from SmartHome/Insteon at CES, and they showed me the prototype RS232 interface for it; it should make it into production.

Who knows -- they could even roll Insteon into their PowerLinc USB product and easily slipstream their technology into the automation world.

Chris

Welcome to CocoonTech, Chris! I wouldn't be surprised if the PowerLinc becomes an Insteon device, I can't see what they would have to lose by doing this, as most people are already familiar with the PowerLinc device.

electron said:
Welcome to CocoonTech, Chris! I wouldn't be surprised if the PowerLinc becomes an Insteon device, I can't see what they would have to lose by doing this, as most people are already familiar with the PowerLinc device.
Wow--I'm not used to being welcomed to a site like that. Very cool.

[just for the record, I've been lurking here for quite a long time -- I'll look forward to being "more active" in the future.]

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

[now, back to your regularly scheduled thread]

Chris

Back