[Guide] An introduction to the Insteon world

I have really high expectations of Insteon. Why? because we have a company that's sole purpose is to manufacture and sell automation equipment, so they already know what we want, what we expect, and what the shortcomings of existing products are.

Now, you could say that about ACT and Zwave, but ACT really got on someone else's (Zwave's_ bandwagon, whereas Smarthome owns the band, wagon, horses, and everything else - and knows how to drive the wagon through Indian country.

You know, the more I read the more the RF sounds like it's used for two things: a coupler and user input/motion detection.

All of the devices mentioned so far are powerline modules. The plug-in modules with antennas are just the RF repeaters. Unlike z-wave, where all the communications are wireless, these Insteon modules look like they are just faster powerline devices (not that I have a problem with that).

They talk about plugging in two of the RF modules. The reason for two has got to be so that they can talk to each other. This will handle problems with powerline signals not reaching the other end of the house or not bridging the phases of your power.

If they are only receiving signals from wireless keypads, keyfobs, (palmpads?,) and motion sensors, you would only need one.

To me, it's starting to sound like it's nothing more than better x10 with a fancy coupler. I think this is probably a good thing since it should keep prices down.

As far as addresses go, I believe I read somewhere that each device is given a 24-bit address/serial number at the factory. The learning process that's been described sounds like you trigger a device (broadcast it's address) and then tell another device to recognize that address and perform the command sent - it will always look for that commanding address. I'm not sure how this would work if you need to have more than one switch (for example) control a light. Will the light be able to learn both switches? For me, this is not that big an issue because I think I'd want all of this to be under computer control, anyway. I don't mind (unless it's too slow) having the computer receive a message and send out the appropriate "light on" command. That's how I'm doing it now with RF/powerline x10.

{edit follows}
Corrected an error above, each device has a 24 bit ID (I had 16).

I may be mistaken Wayne.

Remember, I have ZERO experience with Z-Wave and only heard about Insteon a day before CES.

I "thought" I had read where Z-Wave devices loose their programming when power was off, might be my mistake.

BSR

Thanks for the info in that other thread, BSR.

Mr. Dean stated that Insteon is fully compatible with HAI, Homeseer, and Home Controls as well.
OK, since they claim that Insteon is fully compatible with HomeSeer (the current version?), I assume that the Insteon devices still have X-10 house & unit codes and are controllable via a CM11a (or similar). Does anybody see it differently?

WayneW said:
Mr. Dean stated that Insteon is fully compatible with HAI, Homeseer, and Home Controls as well.
OK, since they claim that Insteon is fully compatible with HomeSeer (the current version?), I assume that the Insteon devices still have X-10 house & unit codes and are controllable via a CM11a (or similar). Does anybody see it differently?
This does not seem consistent with other information (24 bit ID).

Good point smee.

I assume also that the CM11A and backwards X-10 compabability is what makes this product work with the software listed as well.

Could the 24 bit address be for RF control, and a standard X10 address for PLC control?

BSR, run back over there and get some answers, inquiring minds want to know!!
:D :D ;)

JohnBullard said:
BSR, run back over there and get some answers, inquiring minds want to know!
This is exactly what I did today John! ;)

Please see my important updated information in THIS thread.

I'm STILL reading to see if I totally understand this technology as well. Will keep you posted.

BSR

So, if I understand this correctly, if we want this stuff to be compatible with an existing X-10 CM11a & HA software installation, we need to keep all the new Insteon stuff in X-10 mode. Therefore, what advantage does the Insteon stuff give over regular X-10 stuff, other than being ready for the future when an Insteon computer interface is available and we have software that supports it?

Using the two RF SignaLincs to bridge the phases sounds like an interesting idea, but most of us already have good bridges and doesn't seem to add any benefit if the two units are also dumbed down to X-10 mode.

bummer, no hurry to buy Insteon now....

That is sort of the way I understand this as well Wayne (thus the "hurt puppy dog" reference in my review).

If anyone else knows of anything different please chime in.

Well, looks like UPB is still the technology of choice so far (at least for me). Just wish it was not so expensive and compatible with existing X-10 systems.

When you guys state compatible with existing X10 systems do you mean in addition to your X10 system, side by side or a replacement. Won't the Insteon work along side the X10 if you have another Insteon receiver? This is how Z-Wave works so I would expect Insteon to work the same way.

BSR,

I just want to thank you for the great information that you have gone out of your way to get for us.

I'm keeping my eye on ZigBee as an RF solution.

Just to clear up the z-wave thing... Z-wave does not lose its memory when you remove power from any of the devices. The only memory that gets lost is the Time programmed in the remote control but this is understandable.

We are talking about Insteon being essentially the same as X-10 when Insteon is in its dumb mode.

Yes, I believe that Insteon (in true Insteon mode) could work in a house with X-10, but there would be no interaction between the two systems. So far, we haven't heard much about an Insteon computer interface and even if there is such a device, HomeSeer (and other software) would require modifications or plug-ins to support the new device and protocol. Speaking as a non-Z-wave user, this is my understanding of how Z-wave and X-10 co-exist... they tolerate each other and HomeSeer with appropriate "drivers" and interfaces is the only thing that is "bi-lingual".

Wayne,
You can bet there will be an Insteon plugin very soon. I haven't seen mention of an Insteon computer interface but what good will it be without one so I must assume there is one or will be one.

I think it's safe to assume there will be a computer interface. Smarthome seems to be pretty good about these things. If we're lucky, maybe that interface will be able to send out (and receive) both Insteon and x10 commands.

Back