Cheap, simple garage door open/close sensors...

So I am a little unclear why these special "garage door sensors" are marketed.

Why, I would have thought that'd be obvious.

"You can't use a normal sensor on a garage door!! You need a specially designed for garage door sensor!"

The key word in what you asked was "marketed".
:D

If you can use a normal contact then that's fine. Electrically the special GD sensors are no different. But they do operate over a wider gap and they are also made where they can go on the floor and even be run over by car tires. So if you don't need or want them in your situation then use any contact you wish.

You could always pay someone to sit and touch the wires together when the door is open (NC contact) / or closed (NO contact).

Then again, he would probably also get run over. Looks like I'll stick with my setup!

At my last house, I put one at the top like TonyNo, then one ON the door itself, with a TILT sensor on it. The one I am missing was one on the floor.

So, I can't tell WHERE it is within inches...BUT I could tell if it is CLOSED (top sensor), opening (tilt sensor), open (I'm looking at putting the one on the travel carriage).

Then again, maybe I'm ok with the one that I have. I can tell if it's mostly closed, and I can tell if it is more open then 4".

--Dan

Back