Cheap, simple garage door open/close sensors...

I attached the magnet to the carriage that slides along the track when the door operates.

Oooo, I see. You must not have a screw drive opener then, because on those, the carriage still moves along the track once disconnected from the screw. I have one of both type of openers (screw and chain), so I'll need something that works easily for both. (Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the carriage moves when disconnected on the chain one too).

Hmmm...if I were to do that, I wonder about maybe just running my own wires along the top of the track (along with the GDO limit switches) and mounting my sensors right there next to the limit switches.

I use the new style of X10 wireless door/window sensors and it works great. I mounted them at the top of the door. If anyone is interested, I can shoot a pic tonight.

Pics are always appreciated! I won't be going x10 though...I already have too many different technologies present, and I'll always shoot for wired if possible.

I attached the magnet to the carriage that slides along the track when the door operates.

Oooo, I see. You must not have a screw drive opener then, because on those, the carriage still moves along the track once disconnected from the screw. I have one of both type of openers (screw and chain), so I'll need something that works easily for both. (Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the carriage moves when disconnected on the chain one too).
Now that you mention it... I have one belt drive and one chain drive. The chain drive is really old and the door disconnects from the carriage. The belt drive is like you said, the carriage stays connected to the door but disengaged from the drive belt.

I am not sure I understand, how can you open the door without moving the carriage? The carriage moves, no matter how you open the door (in my case).

I was a bit bothered by the set up when I first saw it. It's a 20+ year old Overhead Door chain drive model. When I first pulled the cord to disconnected I expected it to be like my newer (they both came with the house) Chamberlain. But, the release clicked and I nearly got hit on the head when the arm detached and swung down. It was a bit of a pain to reattach too. It's real old-school, no light beam sensors or anything fancy. I'd really like to see it fail so I can justify replacing it with something a bit more modern. It made such a lasting impression on me that I nearly forgot about how the other one worked.

I put 2 radio shack magnetic security sensors on mine about 10 years ago, they are still working fine. As already pointed out, I did put a spacer ( in my case wood ) to keep the spacing about 1/4 between magnetic side and the sensors.

My Garage door is well worn and there is a lot of play, but I have not had a false reading.

I even used some logic to alert me if the door is not completely closed or not completely open for a while.

StevenE

Here's a couple of pictures of my sensors.

Attachments

• IMG_1207_1.JPG
    IMG_1207_1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1208_1.JPG
    IMG_1208_1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 77
Pics are always appreciated! I won't be going x10 though...I already have too many different technologies present, and I'll always shoot for wired if possible.
While it is an X10 device the signal is wireless for the X10 door and window sensors. These are an excellent way to put something in place quickly and they work without fail for me. They even tell HomeSeer when the batteries are low and so HomeSeer's text to speech tells me once a day that the batteries are getting low in the garage door sensor.

Gauge has nothing to do with voltage - it is current that dictates wire size. so 110/240VAC is possible on 22ga wire.

Never assume with electricity - check and double check

Mick

True...I've just never really known anything that's 110 V to be anything other than lots of amps. I try to picture plugging something into the wall with only a 22ga cord.... *yikes*

Here's a couple of pictures of my sensors.

Excellent pics, beau, thanks. How did you affix the magnet on the carriage? gorrilla glue?

I can't quite do the same setup, because my rail is over 2 ft below the ceiling (instead of right up against it like yours)...but I like the idea.

How did you affix the magnet on the carriage? gorrilla glue?
The magnet in that picture is held on with double sided tape. For my other door I manage to get a zip tie around something (sorry no pic). Not having much experience with double sided tape I was concerned about the weather. I did the install during the summer and so far it's holding up just fine this winter (10F-30F mostly).

Back