Cheap, simple garage door open/close sensors...

My original setup was similar to Tony's, but I used double sided tape on the door part (didn't want to drill in the door itself). However, the tape didn't hold during the winter, so I had to give up on that idea. This is my current setup, which was supposed to be temporary (hence the ugly look), but has been working for years without a hitch:

garage.jpg

This is my current setup, which was supposed to be temporary (hence the ugly look), but has been working for years without a hitch:

Hehe..I wonder what percentage of everyone's setup falls under the "it was supposed to be temporary" mantra.... I know I have wires and equipment laying around because I decided just to see if it'd work, and since it did, I never got around to making it final.

So, in case I get the bug to do this today, but find out I don't have the sensors/magnets to do it, then I'd be inclined again to try the actual GDO limit switch contacts, by running a digital input in parallel. Has that been effectively ruled "unwise"? I definitely don't want to interfere in any way with the actual operation of the GDO.

I just read BSR's writeup on the "ultimate" setup, and now I must MUST have this in my own garage!

Just curious though...
Instead of using an AD converter, could the M1 be used to supply power, and measure return voltage on one of the zone inputs? I believe this is how their temperature sensors communicate.
Just wondering if anybody tried this, and can give reasons for it to work/not work.

Thanks

Well, here is my semi-final solution.

I ended up using one of the spare door/window switches I have, since I'm not currently using them. But I do have a handful of doors and windows that still need them installed, so if I ever end up needing it, I'll either buy more or buy one of the other kind of contacts and replace this one.

gdo_closed_switch.jpg

The magnet is leftover from a 4-pack I bought of those cheapo stick-on alarm/chime things, dunno if you've ever seen them. You're supposed to be able to stick the alarm to the door and the magnet to the frame, and it gives you a simple alarm that the door has opened. I never ended up using it, but as I never throw anything away, I have now found a use for it!

I wasn't sure how I was going to affix the metal band, but then I saw I could slip it under the GDO's limit switch, and it holds just fine. Interesting...I WAS going to try and use the magnet in the carriage...but there doesn't appear to be one. At least, my door sensor would not detect one, and I certainly can't see one in the plastic..so I have no idea how the GDO limit switch works. *shrug* But nice thing about this solution is that I don't have to know.

While I was at it, my Dad had given me an idea. He said "Ya know, if you put a button here (by the garage door) then you could open it if you needed to without having to go over to the wall button.". That's not a bad idea, as our garage is actually pretty long, and usually what we did was open a car door, squeeze in, and hit the remote in the car. But instead what I did was, since I had used 22/4 wire to prewire for the door beam sensors, and they only need a single pair per sensor, I just scavanged the other pair and attached it to a momentary button.

gdo_button.jpg

Because it's going into my Datanab's analog inputs, and not a digital one, there's a built-in delay, which is good because I'd have put a delay in if it wasn't already there, so that bumping it doesn't make it go. So you have to press and hold the button. When the contact is sensed as closed, I trigger one of the relays on my Zeebox 250 for a momentary closure on the door opener contacts, and away it goes!

I wired that button, the "closed" sensor, and the "open" sensor all into the same 22/4 bundle of wires. They just all use the same ground. As long as they all go to the Datanab, then no problems. That does mean there's also a delay from the time the door opens until it is sensed, but unlike the front door, I don't have to worry that the door might be opened and closed before it's even sensed.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'm quite pleased to have this working.

Just make sure you watch it for the next few days, there are a lot of vibrations to deal with, so while it might look ok right now, things might shift after a few uses. As for the button, not a bad idea. I actually have a light switch right next to the garage door as well, same location as yours, controls my floodlights. Since it's a SAI UPB switch, I replaced the regular faceplate with one which has extra buttons, so I can use one of those buttons now to open the garage door.

Well, there was an unexpected bonus from doing all this garage door work....today as I was putting the sensor on the large garage door, I noticed the rail was a lot more moveable than I would have thought. Turns out the nut that holds the end of the rail to the wall was finger loose. :blink: I'm guessing I must have never tightened it when I put the thing up (as I noticed in the directions that it tells you to put it up there finger tight initially, but fails to ever tell you to go back and tighten it). I like the Genie openers, but their directions ARE a little suspect.

Otherwise, this whole operation was a victory for my "never throw anything away" mantra. Among the reused items were the 2 momentary buttons, the single gang box, the blank faceplates, and the 2 large magnets. Awesome!

Funny, I ran into that exact problem with my Genie install, I got lucky that I caught it in time. The instructions did suck, and am not too impressed with this Genie, but that's for another thread. Some things you can do now:

Whenever it is past dusk, turn the exterior (flood) lights on as soon as the garage door opens, allowing you to light up the driveway from far away (since the GDO opener has a large range).
Announce when the door has been left open for more than 15 minutes.
Announce/e-mail/sms whenever the door opens/closes and you aren't at home.

So much you can do now :blink:

Ya, I'm pleased with the new capabilities. We were discussing the amount of time between announcements when it's left open, and how that would change at night. Plus I have to give her the ability to silence the announcement, should I happen to be in the garage working and she's inside.

Once I get an electrician to unravel my 3-way light switch wiring, I'll install my onq light switches for the garage and front, and then they'll come on when the door goes up.

I am pleased with the capability...though I do admit my first feeling of being somewhat out of control, now that I've given a computer the power to raise or lower both garage doors. This is all how Skynet got started...

That's the one thing I don't do, that's automate the door opening/closing. I do have the M1 interfaced with the GDO button, but only for manual use. I would rather rely on announcements and other type of notifications.

Same here...but my push button by the door triggers the relay to open/close the door. So it's still manual, as in there's nothing automated that will do it. But it STILL means there's computer-controlled ability to do it.

At least I thought enough ahead to make sure the zeebox relays power up in the open position. that'd be a neat "trick" if every power outage caused our garage doors to open....

Ya, I'm pleased with the new capabilities. We were discussing the amount of time between announcements when it's left open, and how that would change at night. Plus I have to give her the ability to silence the announcement, should I happen to be in the garage working and she's inside.
On my garage, I started with 20 minute intervals then finally settled at 45 (a safer community here - would never have left it up unattended in AZ). We don't silence the announcement - it isn't that bad @ 45 minutes.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I also flash the F1 light on all keypads whilst the garage door is open..

Ah yes...keypads. That's somewhere in the future.

At least I can make it prominent info on the touchscreens I suppose.

That's a good point...even 30 minutes isn't so onerous as to need to be silenced (unless she's watching a movie or something).

Ah yes...keypads. That's somewhere in the future.

At least I can make it prominent info on the touchscreens I suppose.

That's a good point...even 30 minutes isn't so onerous as to need to be silenced (unless she's watching a movie or something).
Ya - at first, the announcement was like "Garage Exterior Door" which did become annoying. It now simply speaks "Garage" which is just about right can be easy to miss sometimes but coupled with the flashing light, it seems adequate.

So I am a little unclear why these special "garage door sensors" are marketed. Why can I not use a standard surface-mount door sensor? Does the thickness of the garage door make the gap too wide?

What about a regular door sensor with a rare-earth magnet to increase the working gap distance?

Back