Broconne's Wiring Adventure

Do you want the differential volume? If not then you just parallel the speaker of the amp and have them be a single zone.

I talked to NuVo support - Wow they are pretty sharp compared to most tech support people.

What he recommended was I wire as normal for the outside cat5 and 16/4 into the keypad. I can then hookup that zone up to an outdoor volume control like this one: Niles Control

I could hook those speakers up to an external amplifier and control the volume from outside using that switch and it would be controlled by the zone controller for the covered deck.

I updated the deck diagram to reflect this.

He also said that the NuVo controllers were fairly "weatherproof" that it was a sealed place panel. So I will be moving the control for the covered deck from the breakfast room out to the covered deck.

Foyer -

Room Purpose: Greet guests.

H/A Equipment:
Occupancy Sensor
Thermostat (Wiring for Omnistat (extra 22/4)

Security/Safety:
(1) Motion Sensor
(2) Glass break sensor

Lighting:
There are 5 ALC/OnQ prewires. 1 for the foyer light, 1 for the deck lights, 1 for the coach lights above the garage, one for the fans on the front porch, and one scene switch.

H/A Goals:
(1) Turn on the lights when occupied
(2) Turn off lights when unoccupied for a duration.

Questions:
(1) Do I have the glass sensor in a place that it will work?

One item of note, I have only been diagramming things I am going to have potentially pre-wired. That is why there is no wiring for security keypad here. I can easily get to the wall on the right as you enter from the basement. Also, it should be noted for things like occupancy/motion/glass I am going to walk around with the LV guy and anything I can get to from the basement (there isn't blocking in the way, etc), I will have him skip and will wire myself.

The Foyer Layout:
Foyer.jpg

what are you plannign for the occupancy sensing? A basic motion sensor is not going to do the trick.

There's many discussions about this on these forums, just wondered if you had selected a specific solution.

I sure hope you're going to be taking some serious time off after the move-in to instal all this gear... ;)

Although it's all fun, making the 25th cat5 termination while the wife is yelling at you that dinner is gettign cold or whatever get's old...

what are you plannign for the occupancy sensing? A basic motion sensor is not going to do the trick.

There's many discussions about this on these forums, just wondered if you had selected a specific solution.

I sure hope you're going to be taking some serious time off after the move-in to instal all this gear... ;)

Although it's all fun, making the 25th cat5 termination while the wife is yelling at you that dinner is gettign cold or whatever get's old...

Funny you mention that.. Anybody know of a good hardwired motion/occupancy sensor? I know there is one for insteon, any out there for 22/4?

Yeah - I plan to take time off before we move in.. Not for HA sadly, but to paint some of the rooms.

Downstairs Hallway -

H/A Equipment:
Occupancy Sensor
Door Contact in Closet

Security/Safety:
(1) CO Pre-Wire (Wall)
(2) Smoke Pre-Wire

Lighting:
There are 2 ALC/OnQ prewires. 1 for the closet light, 1 to control all the outside lower outlets (Holiday lighting)

H/A Goals:
(1) Turn on the lights when hallway occupied
(2) Turn off lights when hallway unoccupied for a duration.
(3) Turn on closet light when door opened
(4) Turn off closet light when door closed
(5) Turn off closet light if door left open for a duration.

The Hallway Layout:
Hallway.jpg

Front Porch -

Yay - Last room on the first floor.

H/A Equipment:
Motion Sensor
Doorbell

Security/Safety:
(1) Camera Pre-wire

Lighting/Fans:
There are three recessed lights on the porch. They are controlled by an ALC/OnQ switch on the foyer.

H/A Goals:
(1) Turn on the lights when motion detected or people approaching the door.
(2) Turn off lights when motion not sensed for a time period.
(3) Turn on the lights during sunset and off at a specified time.
(4) When doorbell is rung, pause SageTV (Using SageInfoPopup Plugin).
(5) When doorbell is rung, engage camera, switch CQC view to camera.

Questions:
Can I skip the motion pre-wire? Is the current motion sensing ability of an IP camera good enough?

The Front Porch Layout:
FrontPorch.jpg

On the occupancy sensing... a regular motion will defintely not do the trick unless you're willing to wildly waves your arms every x minutes to keep the lights on.

I was surprise at how insensitive my Bosch bluelight pet imune motions were, but as insensitive as they were there was still not way for me to pass through the room without it seeing me. So i guess that makes for system with low false alarm probability but still good protection. I have 2 cats (1 18 lbs and 1 14 lbs) and in 2 months time haven't had a single false alarm except when my dumb ass walked downstairs without turning the alarm off.

A search for uccupancy sensors will yield you quite an array of products, but i haven't found any ELK/Automation ready ones out of the box. Most seem to be switching HB directly so you'd have to play with relays to make that all work.

On the occupancy sensing... a regular motion will defintely not do the trick unless you're willing to wildly waves your arms every x minutes to keep the lights on.

I was surprise at how insensitive my Bosch bluelight pet imune motions were, but as insensitive as they were there was still not way for me to pass through the room without it seeing me. So i guess that makes for system with low false alarm probability but still good protection. I have 2 cats (1 18 lbs and 1 14 lbs) and in 2 months time haven't had a single false alarm except when my dumb ass walked downstairs without turning the alarm off.

A search for uccupancy sensors will yield you quite an array of products, but i haven't found any ELK/Automation ready ones out of the box. Most seem to be switching HB directly so you'd have to play with relays to make that all work.

Ok, I need some education. (Isn't that what this thread is all about?).

HB?

Occupancy sensors don't work with the HAI or Elk out of the box? It isn't just a contact closure?

For motions - glad to hear you have the Bosch Blue for motions. - I was going to go with those for a few reasons.. (1) you can't beat a blue LED... (2) I am sure there was another reason.

Excuse the HB, should be HV i.e. High Voltage.

My research so far hasn' return occupancy sensors that would simply connect with a 4 wire connection to an ELK.

So far the Bosh Blue light indeed has been good, the light helps give you a sense of it 'working'. I often look up to see if it 'sees' me. I'm sure the wife totally forgot they are even there.

Guest Bedroom -
On to the upstairs!

H/A Equipment:
Occupancy Sensor
Door Contact in Closet

Security/Safety:
(1) Smoke Pre-Wire

Lighting:
There are 4 ALC/OnQ prewires. 1 for the closet light, 1 to control to the light in the fan, one to control the bottom half of outlets in the room.

H/A Goals:
(1) Turn on the lights when occupied
(2) Turn off lights when unoccupied for a duration.
(3) Turn on closet light when door opened
(4) Turn off closet light when door closed
(5) Turn off closet light if door left open for a duration.

The Guest Room Layout
Bedroom4.jpg

Front Porch -

Yay - Last room on the first floor.

H/A Equipment:
Motion Sensor
Doorbell

Security/Safety:
(1) Camera Pre-wire

Lighting/Fans:
There are three recessed lights on the porch. They are controlled by an ALC/OnQ switch on the foyer.

H/A Goals:
(1) Turn on the lights when motion detected or people approaching the door.
(2) Turn off lights when motion not sensed for a time period.
(3) Turn on the lights during sunset and off at a specified time.
(4) When doorbell is rung, pause SageTV (Using SageInfoPopup Plugin).
(5) When doorbell is rung, engage camera, switch CQC view to camera.

Questions:
Can I skip the motion pre-wire? Is the current motion sensing ability of an IP camera good enough?

The Front Porch Layout:
FrontPorch.jpg

broconne,

What are the dimensions of your porch?

I'm going to be adding on to mine, and really like that you have the fans there.

Thanks!

--Dan

Back