Advent ADV3500PC 7" WVGA Portable GPS/PC (VIA 1GHz/30GB HD/256MB RAM,Touch Screen): $269

Thanks, I must have missed the # in the manual. I ended up calling: 1-800-225-6074. As mentioned, they were pretty useless, but Philip got me an RMA so hopefully I'll be all set in a few days.

Anyone have any luck obtaining any recovery media?

I just got off the phone with them, asked them about the drivers. Their answer is that they don't provide them. If you need to reinstall the operating system, you need to send it in, so they can put the GPS software and such back on it. While you can find some of the drivers online, I HIGHLY recommend you take an image based backup of this unit before doing ANYTHING with it (using software such as Acronis True Image, Symantec Ghost, Drive Image XML, etc.).

I'm going to be in Fayetteville tomorrow and plan on going by and looking at these. I'm looking for a fixed location type mount for Shop or Bedroom or something like that. I'll be eventually running CQC.

David

Just got my replacement in, and it's working well. I'm curious what others are doing with theirs - any ideas or photos to share?

Just got my replacement in, and it's working well. I'm curious what others are doing with theirs - any ideas or photos to share?
Mounted it in my Explorer. Shot was taken before I re-arranged the cables, so ignore that mess! ;)

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 92
Mounted it in my Explorer. Shot was taken before I re-arranged the cables, so ignore that mess!

Great job! What functions are you using in your car? GPS? Something else?

Nice.... where did you get that bracket

Digger - (Sorry for the lack of a reply till now):
I used THIS bracket, but promplty broke it while 'ratcheting' it down in my cupholder. I wound up taking it all apart (a dremmel tool was required at one point) and putting REAL steel nuts and bolts in it, then modifying the diameter with good old duct tape (to achieve that DIY look) then 'mashing' it in the cupholder. It actually worked out surprisngly well! If anyone does get that mount, you really have to watch the amount of torque you place on it while tightening it into the cupholder as its made of cheap plastic on the inside.

Great job! What functions are you using in your car? GPS? Something else?

MikeB - I ordered one of THESE blue tooth devices that get a lot of diagnostic info from the Explorer's OBD connector. I ordered this a while ago and have no response on the status of the order (status in about two weeks still shows "waiting on supplier") so (really striking out here) again, I would not recommend ordering from them

I DO want to use THIS software (ten bucks) from mp3car.com, but again, not sure if it's compatible with the above dongle (that looks like I may never receive) :(.

Will keep you posted though on the results (if any)! :)

Other than that, I'm trying to find a good ShoutCast interface so I can listen to Internet radio. So far I'm just using WinAmp in a "zoomed" view so I can hit the buttons with my finger. It's not the greatest interface and I'm looking around for a better one (anyone know of a better way to do this?). It would also be nice to use Pandora, but again that interface problem with trying to control it on a touchscreen :)

I also need to explore how to get my phone and this unit to automatically connect the "shared" Internet connection. Right now I hit an Icon on my phone, then click another OK one to get that setup. Then I have to click on a bluetooth icon once Windows starts up on the Advent, then click on a connect icon. :eek:

Back