Advent ADV3500PC 7" WVGA Portable GPS/PC (VIA 1GHz/30GB HD/256MB RAM,Touch Screen): $269

Any of you guys tried HSTouch on this device? How about heat? There have been some reports that this device runs a bit hot? Lastly does it have a stand for table top use?

It should run HSTouch just fine. CQC/NetRemote work well, as does ElkRM (ElkRM uses .NET like HSTouch).

It does run hot, just make sure you don't put it flat on the table. It comes with a stylus which can also be used as a stand (insert in the back of the unit to get a ~45" angle).

I'll probably end up making a stand out of Lexan or something. I have been using it for both HA and as a CarPC.

It should run HSTouch just fine. CQC/NetRemote work well, as does ElkRM (ElkRM uses .NET like HSTouch).

It does run hot, just make sure you don't put it flat on the table. It comes with a stylus which can also be used as a stand (insert in the back of the unit to get a ~45" angle).

I'll probably end up making a stand out of Lexan or something. I have been using it for both HA and as a CarPC.
Thanks Dan. Do you have to use the stylus or will a finger poke work?

I've used several small tablets and UMPCs before as a CQC interface viewer. The two things that bothered me the most was a lack of a docking station and short battery life. This particular tablet suffers from both. I'm not trying to talk people out of these, because it seems that they do a nice job at what they were designed for, but battery life is going to be an issue IMHO. So just make sure you realize that these tablets will need to be plugged in virtually all the time.

Only having the ability to run perhaps 2 hours on batteries is too short IMHO. Without a docking station, this means that you have to physically plug the unit in everytime you've moved it. Don't expect family members to remember to do this - or even yourself everytime. With such a short battery life, you could easily run it down during a movie or a couple of TV shows. This was a problem with some of the other devices I've used and they all had much longer battery run times.

I thought about getting one as an outdoor remote (I currently use some Nokia Internet tablets - but I have to RDP with them), but suddenly realized that 2 hours would not be long enough and 9 out of 10 times the battery would die before I was ready to come back inside.

Just for reference, I've used Nokia N770 and N800 internet tablets, the Samsung Q1 Ultra, and the TabletKiosk i7209.

I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. If you want a portable type device then you are right about battery life, dock, etc. but I am looking at using it as a more permanent screen for say a master bedroom nightstand. Sure a real dock would be nice, but one can be made rather inexpensively and you just can't beat $270 for a nice bright touchscreen with wifi and usb imho. I don't plan on really ever using the batteries so it really just depends on what your goals are,

If you're considering this but on the fence, as of this post there are only 40 left so you may want to consider coming off the fence one way or the other.

I just got one in that appears to have a bad hard disk. Anyone have a contact # for the seller?

Nevermind, found it on buy.com.

For the record:

Tel: 1(479)251-1153
Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9.00AM – 5.00PM
Friday: 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
1660 Storage Drive
Fayetteville, AR 72701

Philip asked me to contact Advent support before they replace. Anyone find a support # for these guys?

Philip asked me to contact Advent support before they replace. Anyone find a support # for these guys?

Audiovox Customer Support:

Customer Support for all other Audiovox brands is handled over the internet, Contact us via our FAQ's "Ask a Question" System

But I did find this number for you to try, but it looks like just a corporate number might not get you anywhere

Audiovox Electronics Corporation
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 9AM - 5:30PM
150 Marcus Blvd. Hauppauge, NY 11788
631-231-7750

When I created a trouble ticket, finding out where I can download the drivers, they responded with the request to call them (took them 3 days to say this). This is the info I was given:

Dear Dan,

The best thing to do would be to contact one of our Technical Assistance Representatives at 1-800-225-6074. They will be able to better assist you over the telephone. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:30am to 9:00pm and on Saturday from 9:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time.

Sincerely,
Ed.
Customer Service

When I had my issue I was told to call Audiovox too. I used the # in the manual which is 1-800-645-4994. But, their tech support basically just said send it in for repair or go back to your dealer. So I got in touch with Philip who offered to replace it.

The issue is when the dealer purchased the batch of 450 units from Audiovox they discussed support and Audiovox said they wanted all support to go through them so they could track issues, etc. So the dealer follows what they were told by Audiovox. But Audiovox doesn't seem to have any interest in tracking anything or properly assisting customers. For me they told me to just send it in for repair. Since you should not have to repair an out of box issues, the dealer offered to send me a new one, proving their support is superior to Audiovox.

So... I would call Audiovox since that's what the initial deal was. If they are willing to replace it for you they should. If they give you a runaround or just offer a repair then I would get back in touch with Philip for an exchange. But you better hurry, I don't think they have very many left and after that you are stuck with whatever Audiovox will do.

Back