$1169 7" Touchscreen PC running XP

ph0n33z

Jensen Nvx-3000pc 7" Windows Xp Personal Computer W/ Wifi And Gps Navigation UMPC

This was first announced at CEDIA 2007. It is marketed as a car pc, but it would be perfect as either a tablet or in-wall touchscreen as it is basically an UMPC.

EDIT: Video of device http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBVECIE9rQ0

Link to purchase: http://www.beachaudio.com/Jensen/Nvx-3000p...mrl0p62lfdp602#

Here are the specs:

# Built-in portable navigation and WI-FI
# 256MB memory, 1.8" 30GB hard drive, 800 x 400 panel resolution, built-in card reader, and 2 USB ports
# MP3 and video playback compatible
# Full U.S and Canada mapping
# Headphone jack
# Includes remote control, windshield mounting bracket, AC adapter and DC adapter

Quite a nice price considering it is about the same as the ELK TS, same size, but running full blown XP and not CE.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Looks like this is a rebranded Korean UMPC by the name of Uren V1. This version is around $1000, but it is only sold in Korea. Interesting.

It will use a "form" of RDP using nComputing technology (not a PC).

BSR: Do you know how NComputing's system performs compared with the standard RDP? I am curious as to how video looks, as it is very choppy over normal Windows XP remote viewing.

I am also curious about the pricing of ncomputing based systems...

Example:

Touchtronix IPtouch 170D screen for use with ncomputing L200 is $545. Add the L200 at around $215 and you have a total cost of $760.

The Touchtronix IPTouch 170C screen with L200 circuitry built in is $1,145.

This doesn't seem quite right does it?

1) You were stressed about the cost of CQC, yet you're willing to dump $1200 on a 7" touchscreen PC :)

2) From this AVS NComputing thread
Frunple;12651692 said:
IVB, The ncomputing technology is simply a remote desktop session. If you've ever used remote desktop (not sure if you have), but it doesnt have a real "refresh" rate. It kinda "repaints" the screen when needed so any video would be really choppy.

I wish ncomputing would disclose the truth about these things in their advertising, people think they are getting a good deal on a touchscreen running "its own windows desktop with its own ip address" which leads you to believe its an actual pc, its just a dumb terminal remoting into a pc which has concurrent connections enabled. Sure you can connect 10 of them to one pc (you can do that with the concurrent connection termserv.dll also, and they both break MS' EULA equally) but everyone of them 10 screens will be broadcasting the same ip address of the host pc. The ip of the TS is only used to put it on the same subnet of the host, it serves no other purpose.

Now a lot of people are gonna say how good these things are and that I should stop putting them down. If you like them , use them, I'm just letting people know what they are really getting. It might save them some trouble
My point is to let other people know that these are terminal services clients. Yes, you knew that from their website but a lot of other people dont.
It just seems ridiculous to me to pay over $1000.00 for a beautiful in wall touch screen that you can't even use as a digital picture frame!! For a couple hundred more you can have a webdt 880 that runs a full wince os..

Why couldn't these be used as a digital picture frame? Isn't 15 fps plenty fast enough to repaint the screen as you move from one picture to the next?

Simple, because you cant. Remote desktop doesnt allow the use of screen savers. This is probably my biggest peeve related to these ncomputing devices.
Sure, the screen saver will kick in on the host pc, but on the remote desktop touchscreens you will only get a blank screen.

In reply to videocam... it is a standard remote desktop connection. The ncomputing software just allows concurrent connections to the host, nothing more

1) You were stressed about the cost of CQC, yet you're willing to dump $1200 on a 7" touchscreen PC

Ouch.....that cuts real deep, IVB. Real deep. :p

This isn't actually *for* me, as I would never spend that much on a touchscreen. I was just advertising it for the masses at CT.

That is too bad about the NComputing stuff. That is a major drawback to using Touchtronix stuff. Where is a good, cost-effective touchscreen pc when you need one?? :)

Oh stop with the deep - you know I can't pass up an oppty to harass you :)

I think the TT stuff is actually good if you're willing to live with the RDP type stuff. But for me, the kitchen is a location where I'm going to need more as I want to be able to stream cooking TV shows if i'm hacking along with Emeril. There, I may have to suck up a larger cost, after I win the lottery of course.

The Touchtronix UTMA is excellent as a touchscreen automation controller for use with MainLobby, Homeseer, CQC and the like. This is it's primary purpose.

It is not excellent for watching TV. It is fine for watching a security camera view.

It is for the hallway, the foyer, the laundry room entrance, the theater room - places where you want major command and control utility and won't be watching TV. ie: the majority of places in a home for an in wall controller / keypad.

I wouldn't use it in the kitchen as I agree with IVB, that's a primary TV watching spot. I am working on that solution right now as it was a promised Xmas gift to my wife :)

For TV watching the screen refresh rate is an issue, as well as the resistive touchlayer that makes the picture slightly less sharp.
For TV / touchscreen duality, I would use a SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) touchscreen (which is clear glass) connected to an HTPC with a tuner card (either locally installed, or centrally rackmounted via VGA baluns and Cat5 serial wire extensions). This may be my kitchen solution as I have this same in my foyer.

The Touchtronix UTMA is excellent as a touchscreen automation controller for use with MainLobby, Homeseer, CQC and the like. This is it's primary purpose.

It is not excellent for watching TV. It is fine for watching a security camera view.

It is for the hallway, the foyer, the laundry room entrance, the theater room - places where you want major command and control utility and won't be watching TV. ie: the majority of places in a home for an in wall controller / keypad.

I wouldn't use it in the kitchen as I agree with IVB, that's a primary TV watching spot. I am working on that solution right now as it was a promised Xmas gift to my wife :)

For TV watching the screen refresh rate is an issue, as well as the resistive touchlayer that makes the picture slightly less sharp.
For TV / touchscreen duality, I would use a SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) touchscreen (which is clear glass) connected to an HTPC with a tuner card (either locally installed, or centrally rackmounted via VGA baluns and Cat5 serial wire extensions). This may be my kitchen solution as I have this same in my foyer.

So ML, HS, and CQC allow for multiple instances of the Client/interface viewer to be run on the same pc?

CQC doesn't allow multiple instances per PC, but I don't think that's required for the TT UTMA solution. I'm now far past my depth of expertise about TouchTronix and what I think is the implementation path might be wrong, so i'll just shut up and listen whilst others discuss the situation.

MainLobby does allow for multiple unique instances per PC. You can use that capability for extended desktop to display two independent user interfaces on two monitors from one PC that has a dual VGA video card, as example. Each user interface is tracked seperately for localization of command / control.

Back