UPB Wierdness

Steve - I have had one switch fail - and it failed within minutes of installation (I'm not ruling out operator installation error, but I don't think that was the case since it worked initially, and then stopped dead. Martin (at AO) was kind enough to replace no questions asked).

Just confirming (you've probably already checked this) - make sure the little LED light is pushed in properly. You can disable UPB functionality by pulling that light out (just a little - maybe an 1/8"). When the light is out - the switch will still work locally, it just won't transmit or receive UPB information. Push it back in and UPB works again.

I have no doubt Martin will take care of it if it turns out to be defective. Thanks for the tip/reminder on the LED. In this case I don't think that was it since the switch failed to control the load manually/locally. Wasn't trying to transmit/receive commands.

Hmmm, just thinking for a short time I actually had the PSC05 (X10) plugged into the receptacle of the SAI controller due to temporary lack of outlets. I wonder if that might have somehow scrambled things??? I don't think it should have, but who knows???

I wish there was a UPB switch that was a relay only for flourescents.

HAI will be releasing one soon. It was supposed to come out this month but I would suspect next month is more realistic at this point.

Cool. Do you know if pricing will be in the ballpark of the Switchlincs?
Hey Martin, Is THIS the switch you are referring to? If so, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose costing the same (actually *more*) than the standard UPB switches that can be configured to control flourescents?

Steve,

Yes, that is the switch, but you are right that you can just use the standard switch and make it non-dimming.

You would typically use these relay switches if you needed a heavier load because they will hangle 15 amps.

Cool. I guess my point was the cost. Since even a standard UPB switch is double that of the 23885 that is also a 15A relay. I guess I'll see if the Signalinc fixes my problems, if not, I just may have to use all UPB instead of the 23885's. I guess the advantage of using the UPB is if you ever change the fixture from flourescent to incandescent/halogen you can always just reconfigure existing switch and have full features/dimming, etc.

Rupp said:
Guys,
Do all UPB switches have to have a netural wire?
Yes, Neutral is required.

I've had a HAI UPB switch die on me. It talks on the network but can't control the load anymore. It appears the triac has died or something.

I've had a HAI UPB switch die on me. It talks on the network but can't control the load anymore. It appears the triac has died or something.
I'm sure they'll replace it.

I wonder if it would work if you set it to be a non-dimming switch?

Back