poor man's garden sprinkler

Neil,

With the information from above,

Inrush current
@ 24 VAC = 0.35 AMPS

Holding current
@ 24 VAC = 0.23 AMPS

I beleive you should beable to open both valves at once. even the inrush (2 * .35 = .7 amps) and I would guess you wouldnt open them exactly at the smae second..... you shouldnt have a problem. and holding current for two of them running will be just under 1/2 amps....

It helps a lot. Yes, I can open the next valve a minute after I have opened the first one. :D

Is there any reason why I would stick with ELK wallwart rather than the RadioShack posted earlier? It's just that with the RadioShack, it's available locally. No shipping cost.

Thanks mustangcoupe!

Hi,

Ok, I stopped by Homedepot & saw their wares. The only thing they had in stock that looked like it might work was this:

http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Timers/01/04/04/236/

However, it has a "audio" plug type connector. I am not sure if that would work for me.

I use Insteon & I have a spare wallwart.

I think I need to go from the valve, splice into the wiring to get a standard power plug end, then plug that into the wallwart.

I am only looking to control one sprinkler from one spot (pretty simple).

I have no problem ordering everything online as it will make it easier for me to gather everything.

Any ideas what I can use to do this? What valve, etc? I own nothing sprinkler related yet (aside from the hose).

Thanks,
Rich

Neil;

You can use any 24 volt AC power supply as long as it has enough current capability for the number of valves you want to use at the same time,.

Rich;

I don't see anything wrong with that valve. It's a slick looking unit as it looks like it will attach to a hose fixture without needing any adapters. I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have an AC adapter that can power it (look at its voltage and current requirements hopefully listed on the box or in the directions).

You can just cut off that 1/8" mini plug and wire into the power adapter directly. Don't forget about the in-line fuse mentioned above :D. Then just plug the power adapter into your Insteon appliance/relay module.

The link has a PDF where it talks about 3 AA batteries being needed: http://www.orbitonline.com/lib/media/62032-24ErE_001098.pdf

Again, this is for the timer (which the valve gets plugged into). Does that mean it is DC?

I think I have a 2000mah Power plug somewhere around here. Do I splice the valve to the power supply & when power is on, the valve is open, when there is no power, it is closed?

If it is AC, is there a link to the cheapy Radio Shack AC Adapter that would work (I saw it mentioned in the thread but didnt see a part number).

The link has a PDF where it talks about 3 AA batteries being needed: http://www.orbitonline.com/lib/media/62032-24ErE_001098.pdf

Again, this is for the timer (which the valve gets plugged into). Does that mean it is DC?

I think I have a 2000mah Power plug somewhere around here. Do I splice the valve to the power supply & when power is on, the valve is open, when there is no power, it is closed?

If it is AC, is there a link to the cheapy Radio Shack AC Adapter that would work (I saw it mentioned in the thread but didnt see a part number).
hmmm, this is a very different type of valve from the ones mentioned earlier. I glanced at that PDF very quickly, and here on out I'm guessing (i.e. have no real "hands on" experience) but it looks like that valve was meant to plug into a portable timer, which operates on three 1.5 volt batteries (so more than likely 4.5 volts total if the batteries are installed in series as most are). So you should be able to get a 4.5 volt DC wall wart/adapter and use it for this valve (just cut off the plug adapter). You may have to watch your polarity as this is now DC instead of the AC valves mentioned earlier. How much are these valves (wondering how much you would be out if it didn't work)?

Reason I ask is I remember trying to retrofit a standard 24 VAC valve to work with a garden hose/spikot and had to use multiple adapters to do it. This has the convenience of not needing any adapters.

I will give it a shot tomorrow & let you know how it goes. Worst case (I think) is that I blow a fuse.

Nothing wrong with plugging a wallwart into the wall with a DC power plug popped into it (right)?

I will give it a shot tomorrow & let you know how it goes. Worst case (I think) is that I blow a fuse.

Nothing wrong with plugging a wallwart into the wall with a DC power plug popped into it (right)?
Not sure exactly what you mean by the above statement.

FYI, I did order a valve as it looks pretty cool (was around $23 shipped) so if you want to wait a few days I'll play around with it and let you know how it works out.

I am just wondering how robust it is compared to the traditional valves. If it is solidly made, this could be a good find because as I mentioned above, you don't need any adapters to use it with an outdoor faucet/garden hose. :D

Hi,

Ok, I stopped by Homedepot & saw their wares. The only thing they had in stock that looked like it might work was this:

http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Timers/01/04/04/236/

However, it has a "audio" plug type connector. I am not sure if that would work for me.

I use Insteon & I have a spare wallwart.

I think I need to go from the valve, splice into the wiring to get a standard power plug end, then plug that into the wallwart.

I am only looking to control one sprinkler from one spot (pretty simple).

I have no problem ordering everything online as it will make it easier for me to gather everything.

Any ideas what I can use to do this? What valve, etc? I own nothing sprinkler related yet (aside from the hose).

Thanks,
Rich

All the HD's around me (5) have a huge display of Toro irrigation products. Just like the original valve posted. Which work well...

I have seen this at HD as well, and was interested in picking one of these up. I tend to remove my valves for the winter, so that jack would make it really easy to hook up the power (which comes through the wall).

I have seen this at HD as well, and was interested in picking one of these up. I tend to remove my valves for the winter, so that jack would make it really easy to hook up the power (which comes through the wall).

Hey guys, which product were you talking about? Can you please post the link. Just curious :D

Rich, nice find! That's certainly easier than the valve and all the adapters.
However, it sucks that the part is $15 and shipping is $9.50. Gotta see if I can find it locally.

This is a great thread. Thanks to all who posted!

Here is what I purchased:

http://www.easycart.net/ecarts/dripsupply/...ND_BATTERY.html

Go down to the "62035/27513 Valve for Yard Watering System".

I will do a review on how to implement this with home automation when I get it in. Stay tuned for details...

Thanks BraveSirRobbin. I will wait for your review too before I push thru with my purchase.

Yes, I have seen similar of this at HD, Menards and Lowes but I didn't pay attention to the wire.

Please post a diagram too using this product. :D

So I picked one of these up at Home Depot (15 bucks) & promptly chopped the end of it off :D

I was surprised to find 3 wires & not 2 wires. Green, Copper, & Red

Plus they didnt seem shielded from each other. There is the rubber coating on the outside, then the three wires all together.

I did plug my DC power pack into the wall & started to try different wire combos but nothing seemed to work.

See the pic (very very skinny wires)

Attachments

• DSCF0859.jpg
    DSCF0859.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 42
The bare copper is probably earth ground.
The Red is probably positive.
The Green is probably negative.
What voltage power supply are you using? I'd try something in the 3-6V range. They do look like real thin wires.
On wall warts, usually the inside diameter is positive, while the outer is negative, or ground.

Back