M1 to control sprinklers

Wow, thanks for all the great information!

I have a few question on how to wire this up, but I'll save them until I get the parts.

<Matt

How do you get the wind data into cqc?
I have a Davis Instruments Weather Wizard III with a serial interface (also a datalogger) to a PC. I also use Ambient Weather software and log the data into a CSV file. I then have my HomeSeer software read these CSV values and create "devices" for temperature and wind readings (updates every five minutes).

Then I have a script trigger my Rain-8 unit that also looks at this wind speed device.

It's been so long ago that I would have to look at the exact details of this setup but will do so if you are interested.

So would it be okay to install the OXVR back at the ELK and use Cat5 (24/8) to loop the valve power through the relay (a distance of about 50')? Or should I go to the trouble of putting a box in the garage wall and installing the OXVR closer so that I can use higher gauge wire for the 24V valve draw?

My gut says that 24/8 isn't beefy enough, but I'd rather not install a box just for a single board.

I had the same concern but wanted everything in the main closet so I used a Cat5 and its been fine. It is probably pretty close to the limits but I've never had an issue and never notice any heating of the wire or anything. I also have around 50 or 60 feet. I like to use this chart for determine wire size to use.

Do I understand this correctly? If I add a M1RB to my M1G, it converts 8 of my 10 voltage outputs (7-16) to SPDT relays, thus leaving me with only 2 free voltage outputs (7 and 8).

But if I go with a M1XOVR (which runs from the data bus), I keep all my original outputs from J16 + I get 8 new voltage inputs and 8 SPDT relays.

Is that correct?

Do I understand this correctly? If I add a M1RB to my M1G, it converts 8 of my 10 voltage outputs (7-16) to SPDT relays, thus leaving me with only 2 free voltage outputs (7 and 8).

But if I go with a M1XOVR (which runs from the data bus), I keep all my original outputs from J16 + I get 8 new voltage inputs and 8 SPDT relays.

Is that correct?

Correct.

I installed both my M1OXVR and M1RB in a box in my garage (next to the Rainbird controller). I figured I'd want to get outputs to my garage door openers, maybe drive a strobe or alarm. That went fairly well (although I haven't enrolled it yet.)

But as a word of caution to save others grief, double check that you've wired the valve controls to the NO relay outputs. ;)

Before I took the wiring connectors off of the M1RB I figured out where everything should be wired. But when I flipped the connector around to wire it up, I kept the arrangement of Common and Valve Control wires, which meant I wired up all eight to the NC outputs. So when I plugged it in to verify I still had control from my Rainbird, it fried my transformer (by drawing for eight valves at once.) Doh!

So now I've got to go buy a new transformer and hope that the fried transformer was all the damage that was done.

My wife reminded me that wouldn't have happened if I had been "right handed" (as in "correct handed", which is what she calls left-handedness.)

EDIT: Quick update. It was only a $14 mistake. A new transformer at HD was easy to get and solved my problems. I'm sure others won't be as bone-headed as I, but just in case you are doing your wiring after doing a full day of honey-do work and at least one beer...

That's why I said earlier to be careful with your rules and stuff. It's very easy to turn on multiple valves at the same time ;)

Is that correct?

I should mention that you can also add a M1RB to a M1OVR and turn those 8 new voltage inputs to 8 SPDT relays. So you would have the original outputs from J16 and 16 SPDT relays. That is what many people are doing (like Redclay) to get enough relays to run a larger irrigation system.

I should mention that you can also add a M1RB to a M1OVR and turn those 8 new voltage inputs to 8 SPDT relays. So you would have the original outputs from J16 and 16 SPDT relays. That is what many people are doing (like Redclay) to get enough relays to run a larger irrigation system.
Yes, I am aware of that. But I only have 4 zones and really don't think I'll ever go bigger. I guess I'll buy the M1XOVR because I don't want to be stuck with only 2 outputs left.

In the early days of the M1 code, there was a command to turn off a relay for a programmable time and it would turn back on forever. We removed that command because people was using it inappropriately to turn off their sprinklers. When the time delay expired the sprinklers would turn on forever resulting in a soggy yard.

Live and learn!!

As an update, I've installed the MXOVR1 and M1RB in the garage and, through much pain and suffering, run wires back to the Elk in the wiring closet.

In retrospect I should have just tapped into the Elk bus at the Garage keypad. But that bright idea occurred to me after I had run a drill bit into a bunch of wires, ripping apart a thermostat control line and two coax cable lines. I did get to discover that a 190lb man can actually crawl between the floors of his house if it was built with trussed floors when his family is not happy with the prospect no air conditioning in Atlanta on July 6. I also learned that nails that penetrate the sub-floor are sharp and my scalp is soft.

Anyway. I just wanted to report success (or at least refusal to fail) so that the OP would be encouraged to keep at it. I haven't programmed any rules yet, but I have managed to enroll the MXOVR1 and turn on the relays on the M1RB.

Redclay, glad to hear you got yours up and going..Hope your feeling better. ;)

I finally got my M1XOVR and M1RB, they were on back order, so I spent time today reading through some of the threads and going over the ELK manual.

This is what I've gathered I need to do. The M1XOVR and M1RB and located near the old controller in a 14" box along with a PD9.

I'm going run a cat5 cable to the M1XOVR from the M1 Rs-435 DB, putting the jump on to terminate the board. Then connect the M1RB to the M!XOVR.

My first question is where to I wire the power from the PD9 on the M1XOVR? I'm going to need that for a 24V source right?

After that it's just a matter of taking my wires to my sprinkler vales and inserting them into the N/O outputs correct?

Then I'll run the common wire from the sprinkle to the M1XOVR Output 1 and the daisy chain the other commons to that?

Do some programming on the ELK and I'm good to go.

Did I miss anything or am I way off here?

Thanks!

THIS schematic may help. It was originally intended for individual relays, but you can still just use the NO, and COM designations on the relay board.

Back