Hobby boards 8/IO with DS2408

andrej

Hello,
do you have some experience powering the 8 channel IO board directly from computers ATX +5V and over the RJ45 connector.

I have tried that, but the DS2408 and other 1wire devices were not responding, the only thing which has worked was to use external adapter.

Thanks
Andrej

I've used PC power to supply the 1wire bus. Works fine. Just don't short the cable. I learned the hard way that there's a lot of amps on the 5V rail in a PC power supply. Did you connect the PC ground to the 1wire cable ground?

I used a PC power "Y" adapter. Cut one male end off, added inline fuses for 5V and 12V. Cat5 cable connected to fuses going to RJ45 jack, only green(5V) and brown(12V) pairs connected. Another cat5 cable going from 1wire USB adapter to RJ45 jack, only blue (DATA) pair connected. Anything plugged into the jack has 1wire signal and power.

I am sure I am not alone here, but at my HA central station, I have roughly 20 wall warts plugged in. All but one are outputing dc current. I have considered trashing all of those wall warts and instally a computer power supply and making power strips for all of the various dc voltage outputs. I am pretty sure I will get a better quality dc current that way, likely use less electricity, and certainly clean up the clutter.

Anyone else tried something like that?

Back