Have Media Server.....how to serve it up!!??

Ok I have a 2.5 terabyte media server. It has all of my DVD's (full 1:1 rips) and all of my Music (50gigs).

All the hardware sound options I am finding have a lot of different options to get sources to different rooms BUT since I have everything on a server, none of these hardware options seems to allow a server or indicated directory to be broswed and the ID3 tags to be read etc.

Do I just need to setup tablet pc's or touchpads that are connected to a central media server.

I have a dedicated HTPC server for serving movies etc. I just want a control for certain rooms to choose either Sat Radio, AM/FM, or Music files on the server (playing single files, dir's, or playlists), not any video.

I would like the screens in the various areas to be able to access the CCTV cameras around the property when I want to.

It sound more and more like I am needing a dummy screen terminal to run and connect to a central server etc...but I don't know if a single server can send different video and audio signals to the different rooms at the same time. I assume any software on a server that does this would be able to know which room is 'requesting' what feed of video or audio.

Plus be able to control home automation via the same terminals etc.

You all are the experts...what are my options?

Thanks
DTT

You may want to look into MainLobby for something like this. Maybe even use their DVDLobby and MusicLobby for selecting DVD's and music from a central server.

I'm wondering if you could then benefit from an audio video multi source/multi zone system such as the Russound CAV 6.6. MainLobby has a hook into controlling that as well. (I believe there is some limitation as to the video capability/type though (HD, etc...).

I'm also wondering what would happen if you had say a Delta multisource sound card in your music server and had those multiple zones as some multi source inputs for the Russound system.

All of this is expensive, but man, the versatility and options it would have would be impressive.

This is NOT my area of expertise though so see what other people say! :)

Can you suggest some 'delta' cards that will give me full stereo output?

If I just ran the wires from the media server to each room and how a decent receiver in each location that would be optimal.

Any suggestions?

I (and several others here) use the Delta 410. Has 10 individual channels (2 combine to make stereo) including digital. Each channel looks like a sound card to Windows so it's easy to configure. Very nice card...

DeathtoToasters said:
Ok I have a 2.5 terabyte media server. It has all of my DVD's (full 1:1 rips) and all of my Music (50gigs).

All the hardware sound options I am finding have a lot of different options to get sources to different rooms BUT since I have everything on a server, none of these hardware options seems to allow a server or indicated directory to be broswed and the ID3 tags to be read etc.

Do I just need to setup tablet pc's or touchpads that are connected to a central media server.

I have a dedicated HTPC server for serving movies etc. I just want a control for certain rooms to choose either Sat Radio, AM/FM, or Music files on the server (playing single files, dir's, or playlists), not any video.

I would like the screens in the various areas to be able to access the CCTV cameras around the property when I want to.

It sound more and more like I am needing a dummy screen terminal to run and connect to a central server etc...but I don't know if a single server can send different video and audio signals to the different rooms at the same time. I assume any software on a server that does this would be able to know which room is 'requesting' what feed of video or audio.

Plus be able to control home automation via the same terminals etc.

You all are the experts...what are my options?

Thanks
DTT
i do the same exact thing, and have it integrated into my HA setup to boot. I only require the 1 PC to do what you want, although I have more computers in my setup by choice. It makes control simpler to have a local, cheap $250 touchscreen tablet PC wallmounted. I use a hardware switcher that all my sources & zones are connected to. I used to use my Denon 3805 when I only had 3 zones, now I want 6-10 so I use the Xantech ZPR68. You can also use the CAV66 as BSR mentioned, CQC has a native and free driver for that. They can all distribute SDTV video, so you don't need anything else.

I've got same ballpark amount of data for both DVD, TV, CD, XM, and FM. I use CQC to control the whole thing, see the personal site in my sig for an overview of the screens. I've published skins that'll let you do this with the base package, so all you need is the $200 base CQC package. If you want to do a lot of HA stuff, you may need the full $315 license. But, that's a whole-house license, no additional fees if you want more servers in your house, so that's as bad as it gets.

Before I get to my suggestions, it seems that you've got conflicting info in your post. You say that you "just want control for ..., not any video", then later talk about sending different video & audio. Not sure what that means.

For basic audio, plus CCTV distribution which is SDTV, it's pretty easy and cheap to do. All you really need is:
- serial controllable XM [ie Polk XRt12]
- serial controllable FM source [ie i can use my Denon 3805]
- Delta M-Audio 410 can serve 4 concurrent CD streams
- Signal Distribution mechanism [ie the Denon/Xantech/Russound hardware switcher discussed above.]
- Can't speak to CCTV without more info- that's based on what your solution looks like. I'm personally going to be using a kodicom solution, which needs its own PC, which is what i'd want anyhow for segregation & lockdown purposes. It has a built-in webserver, so you don't need to send any video output through the switcher. Keep in mind that 1 PC can only serve one concurrent video source, but I don't see where you want to do more than that. Esp if you use a CCTV mechanism that can serve up via web servers.
- For the short-term, you also need JRMC to catalog your music repositiory. You won't need that once the next version is released (V1.7), if I were you I'd start with just the 30-day trial to see how you like it. V1.7 isn't terribly far off, but it's longer than 30 days.

Whilst you don't need any more PCs, those local wallmounted tablet touchscreen PCs like the Fujitsu 3400, or wifi PDA's such as my Cingular Siemens SX66 cellphone make life much simpler.

I'd recommend downloading and trying to setup any package that you're interested in. I've also got free CQC skins for both PDA and 800x600, you're more than welcome to those.

I've got an open offer on the CQC site which i'll repeat here - if you want, i'm more than happy to walk you through the CQC setup as well as a download & install of my media mgmt skins. It generally takes me anywhere from 20mins->1hr to get a newbie fully setup on CQC and do whole-house audio distribution [presuming they do the homework I assign them], of course assuming you have the hardware. The variation is based on how many crayons my 2yr old is trying to eat at the time - it's only actually 10-15 mins of work :D :D

Back