HAI, 2 x Yale zwave locks and VRCOP RF+3 integration

Trey: Yes I was aware of the new M1XSLZW and as Project X states it's two way status ability is very limited. I emailed ELK to confirm that it only can receive the Lock or Unlock status of z wave locks and they confirmed that. I would have guessed it would have been able to at least provide battery status and user id status but it cannot according to ELK so it is kind of disappointing.
Battery status, which code unlocked door or was it unlocked with a key,..... I was waiting patiently for the M1XSLZW, but now that it is released, I think I'll stick with the my current setup and figure out a work around due to the lack of these features. :(

Ok, I need help. I am having lots of trouble setting up my Yale Lock and the VRCOP. I updated the firmware (I think) and this is what i am getting via Hyperterminal:
Leviton(C) 2008 V2.33S/Z-Wave 3.11
Is this the right firmware (version 0.30)? Bootloader telling me that the load was good but I don't see V0.30 anywhere.
I am able to enroll both the Yale and the VRCOP in the network.
Thanks!

Well, I found ou the that I do have the right version of the firmware.
The stick, the lock and the VRCOP are properly enrolled in the network.
The lock is node #2.
Now, when I use Hyperterminal and send a >N2SS98,1,0^M command nothing happens and I get this:
<N002:152,128,202,159,243,226,088,117,032,131
<X000
<N002:152,064
<n002:000,113,005,224,250
This is getting to be really frustrating for a UPB user.
Any help will be appreciated.

try moving your VRCOP3 really close to the lock unless it is pretty close already. I have not had the best luck overall with the VRCOP and the locks myself. Not sure if it is the lock or the VRCOP3 still trying to pinpoint the issue. I get intermittant status reports from the lock but I can lock and unlock it fine but I don't always get status updates and I am not sure why.

Well, I found ou the that I do have the right version of the firmware.
The stick, the lock and the VRCOP are properly enrolled in the network.
The lock is node #2.
Now, when I use Hyperterminal and send a >N2SS98,1,0^M command nothing happens and I get this:
<N002:152,128,202,159,243,226,088,117,032,131
<X000
<N002:152,064
<n002:000,113,005,224,250
This is getting to be really frustrating for a UPB user.
Any help will be appreciated.
When using hyperterminal connected to the VRCOP to not use the "^M". The VRCOP does not understand the ^M it is looking for a carriage return which should be supplied by hyperterminal.

My original example uses the ^M because the HAI Omnipro will not send the carriage return by default. The HAI Omnipro needs to be specifically told to send a carriage return which is why I have the ^M which the Omnipro then coverts to a carriage return and sends that to the VRCOP.

hope this helps

When using hyperterminal connected to the VRCOP to not use the "^M". The VRCOP does not understand the ^M it is looking for a carriage return which should be supplied by hyperterminal. My original example uses the ^M because the HAI Omnipro will not send the carriage return by default. The HAI Omnipro needs to be specifically told to send a carriage return which is why I have the ^M which the Omnipro then coverts to a carriage return and sends that to the VRCOP. hope this helps
PaulB,
Thank you for the response!
I kind of suspected that so I actually tested the VRCOP with and without the ^M. Automated outlet is sending me a new one for testing so I will wait to see what happens. AO has been very helpful so far. This cut and paste from an email to AO describes my issues:

"The firmware that was uploaded is definitely the new one. I can’t remember the version (V2.32 firmware I think) but I crossed checked with the Worthington training slides and I do have the right one (verified via Hyperterminal).
What I do know is that I was only able to load the firmware using Windows XP with a built in card. No USB to Serial connector worked for me.
I also know that I was unable to enroll the VCORP into the network UNTIL the new firmware was loaded.
As of now, I have the stick, the Yale lock and the VCORP showing in the network but I am unable to set a reverse association between the lock and the VCORP. All link tests show that there are no comms between the Yale and the VCORP. Tests also show that there is communications between the stick and the lock and between the stick and the VCORP.
I am eager to receive the new unit and conduct more tests. I will report back to you.
Thanks!"

I have connected 2 Yale deadbolt locks to my HAI OmniPro II using z-wave and though I would describe my integration of the Yale locks and see if anyone had other ideas. The integration includes locking, unlocking, indirect integration into security zone and keeping track of 2 locks. Also, hopefully if HAI sees enough interest in z-wave locks HAI will add lock feature to their system.
The following are the key hardware components that I used for the integration:
  1. HAI OmniPro II
  2. VRCOP RF+
  3. VRCOP RF+ 3
  4. 2 – Yale deadbolt locks with z-wave module
  5. HAI relay module
Item #2 – the VRCOP RF+ is the older Leviton z-wave rs232 interface that does not support locks. There are several discussions in this forum about this topic. The VRCOP RF+ is connected to serial port #1 and controls z-wave network “A” which includes all my Leviton lighting controls. Serial port #1 is defined on the OmniPro II as Z-wave.

Item #3 – is the new Leviton rs232 z-wave interface which supports locks. The VRCOP RF+ 3 is connected to serial port #2 and controls z-wave network “B” which includes the 2 Yale deadbolt locks. Serial port #2 is defined as Pro-Link.

Item #5 – outputs 1 and 2 of the HAI relay module are wired to zones 24 and 23 respectively. When the relay outputs are off the corresponding zones are secure. Conversely, relay outputs are on the corresponding zones are unsecure.

The attached file has the details including the code that I wrote to support: Locking, unlocking, integrating with HAI security zones (kludge -but seems to be working) and low battery warning.

If there is any questions or interest I can improve the attached information with more details.

In your document i see program code that dont have matching messages(Side Door code received, Basement Door code received) could you post an updated list of messages and program code you use for me/us that want to match what you have proven to work? I am new to HAI and am slowly picking it up but i have two Yale locks that i want to get fully functional ASAP.

Thanks.
Brian

Brian,

Not sure what you are asking. I look at my post and it is what I am currently using. The "Side Door code received" is message 40. The "Basement Door code received" is message 50.

Hope you get it working. Sorry it took so long for replying but my internet was out for a couple of days.
Paul

I have connected 2 Yale deadbolt locks to my HAI OmniPro II using z-wave and though I would describe my integration of the Yale locks and see if anyone had other ideas. The integration includes locking, unlocking, indirect integration into security zone and keeping track of 2 locks. Also, hopefully if HAI sees enough interest in z-wave locks HAI will add lock feature to their system.
The following are the key hardware components that I used for the integration:
  1. HAI OmniPro II
  2. VRCOP RF+
  3. VRCOP RF+ 3
  4. 2 – Yale deadbolt locks with z-wave module
  5. HAI relay module
Item #2 – the VRCOP RF+ is the older Leviton z-wave rs232 interface that does not support locks. There are several discussions in this forum about this topic. The VRCOP RF+ is connected to serial port #1 and controls z-wave network “A” which includes all my Leviton lighting controls. Serial port #1 is defined on the OmniPro II as Z-wave.

Item #3 – is the new Leviton rs232 z-wave interface which supports locks. The VRCOP RF+ 3 is connected to serial port #2 and controls z-wave network “B” which includes the 2 Yale deadbolt locks. Serial port #2 is defined as Pro-Link.

Item #5 – outputs 1 and 2 of the HAI relay module are wired to zones 24 and 23 respectively. When the relay outputs are off the corresponding zones are secure. Conversely, relay outputs are on the corresponding zones are unsecure.

The attached file has the details including the code that I wrote to support: Locking, unlocking, integrating with HAI security zones (kludge -but seems to be working) and low battery warning.

If there is any questions or interest I can improve the attached information with more details.

You only need one VRC0P+3. What I did was install my VRC0P+3 on the first floor then ran a cat5e cable to the panel then split the cable to two rj11 ends and pluged one into serial 1 andthe other in serial 2. I then turned on Pro-Link on serial 1 and zwave on serial 2. Which serial and assignment is up to you it can be any port. I can control zwave devices and receive messages on from a single VRC0P+3. I am still working out my messages and flags but the few I setup work fine. my serial is at the end of about 30 feet of cat5e. If you have issues with the locks not working buy a few VRP03-1LW +3 (make sure they are +3) Also if you have a Omni Pro2 make sure you are using 3.10A. Some of the messages etc can be eliminated going my route.

Brian

Brian

That's interesting, how did you split the cat5 to two rj11?

All you need is a 4 conductor wire( all I had was cat5e), three rj11 crimp phone connectors and four telephone butt splice connectors. The cable that comes with the VRC0P+3 is not a standard phone cable it needs to be wired right. The outer wires need to be swapped on one of the ends. I relocated my VRC0P+3 to a central part of my first floor and ran a 4 conductor wire to the panel in the basement. One the panel end of the wire that I ran I cut two more short pieces of wire and connected each colored conductor wires with butt splice connectors. I then crimped rj11 connectors on the ends of the three wires (two at the panel and one at the VRC0P+3 to basically create a "Y" cable. Set one serial to Z-Wave and the another to Pro-Link.

Brian

Dogman,
I have the VRC0p sending the lock/unlock messages from the Elk with out any trouble, but I can't seem to be able to do anything with the incoming text string. I assume that I am missing a character (but I've added/removed ^M or ^M^J from the text that I am looking for (i.e. <N002:000,113,005,022,001). When you get to that part of your implementation, could you post your actual text strings you are looking for, so I can see what the difference with mine is?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, Just starting this. HOw did you get ELK to send the commands to the lock. I do not see the lock listed with ELKRP2. The lock is setup in the zwave network, I do have the +3 version of VRC0P, I have the older M1XSP so I know I can only lock / unlock.

So based off of that, I connected in using putty and issued the following command:
>N2SS133,1,1,10 - where the lock is ID#2 and the VRC0P is ID#10.

I then get the response
<N002:152,128,143,171,183,185,211,114,053,188
<X000

This is what I get when I issue a lock and unlock command via putty:
<X000
<E014
<N002:152,128,132,077,016,188,250,167,061,204
<X000
<E014
<N002:152,128,086,248,087,095,007,112,069,164
<X000

Does that mean it is talking?