Getting a true 240 FPS from your eBay card

I am sorry, blue iris is also a cpu hog. I tried active webcam for a month, and I did like some features. the scheduling was a nice touch, but i never needed it blue iris. active web cam had a severe limitation in that 99% sensitivity would yield too many false positves, and 98% sensitivity would miss some motion being detected. There wasn't enough options to tune the motion detection.

with blue iris, you can adjust sensitivity of detection as well as the speed of detection to set off an alert. (so a bug zipping past the lens wouldn't set of an alarm, but a slower moving human would set off the alarm).
I had a big problem with active web cam claiming that my flashing light on my car's alarm system was motion. this wasn't an issue in blue iris.

its also cheaper.

I think I am going to try the kodicam route if I can get it to play well with homeseer.

You can make those same adjustments to Active Cam as well. The reason scheduling is so important to me is that snow at night will set off the motion detection big time, no matter how insensitive I set it. It does look like BlueIris has a few options which might be able to deal with this better, so I will give it a try. The cheaper aspect might help make the decision as well.

I tried that last night, after getting over 600 emails, I gave up on the software, but not a bad package at all.

does the kodicom software have motion detection cabability?

Yes, DigiNet has motion detection that can trigger events. You specify mulitple detection areas for each camera and specify inidividual sensitivities for each area.

After using DigiNet for a week, I ccould't ever consider any DVR solution that can't give me 30 FPS at 640x480 for every camera (with little to no CPU utilization). I will post some avi files soon, I promise!

I'm still trying to figure diginet. I found the installation notes after I already set it up, and discovered that I was supposed to partition the drive into lots of small partitions instead of one large partition.

one thing that does really suck about diginet is that it does not let you access it over a remote desktop connection. I have one computer in the basement as a media center pc/ general use, and another for security/home automation and I access both of them from my laptop or other terminals around the house (that way I only have to maintain 2 computer and you don't hear noisy fans or hardrives in the house.)

but diginet won't run over remote desktop. There is a client application though.

jeffx, did you try out the client application yet? I couldn't understand the installation instructions.

hopefully I can post some screenshots tonight

This weekend found updated drivers and a newer version of the client and server apps:

http://www.avalonsg.com/software/

Also, moved everything off of my AMD Processor w/ NVIDIAto my Intel PC and it is now running much better! No more lockups!

I'll try to post more in the next few days.

hgupta1 said:
I'm still trying to figure diginet. I found the installation notes after I already set it up, and discovered that I was supposed to partition the drive into lots of small partitions instead of one large partition.

one thing that does really suck about diginet is that it does not let you access it over a remote desktop connection. I have one computer in the basement as a media center pc/ general use, and another for security/home automation and I access both of them from my laptop or other terminals around the house (that way I only have to maintain 2 computer and you don't hear noisy fans or hardrives in the house.)

but diginet won't run over remote desktop. There is a client application though.

jeffx, did you try out the client application yet? I couldn't understand the installation instructions.

hopefully I can post some screenshots tonight
I just stumbled across this site while looking for information on Kodicom/Diginet. I too have recently purchased a Kodicom (knockoff?) DVR card. It is an 8-port model (model 8800?). I have it installed on an Intel system running windows XP and an ATI 9600 video card

The Diginet software is a bit clumsy and is is a real bother that you can't minimize or resize the winodows.

I also tried to remote desktop connect (RDC) to my security PC after installing the Diginet software I also had some problems. It seems that the reason for this is that the Diginet software replaces the standard windows XP 'msgina.dll' with 'kgina.dll'. Here is some info on the 'GINA' dll from Microsoft:

"The GINA—a DLL component loaded by Winlogon—implements the authentication policy of the interactive logon model. It performs all user identification and authentication interactions. Msgina.dll, the standard GINA provided by Microsoft and loaded by Winlogon, can be replaced by a GINA that is custom-built by a third party."

Not knowing what restrictions were put in place with the 'kgina.dll', I went and restored the registry key to re-enable the microsoft GINA.

I removed the following registry key/value (using regedit):
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: GinaDLL

After a reboot, this allowed me to get remote access to the box. HOWEVER, when running the diginet software, and RDCing into the box, I get an error 'DirectDraw4 is not initialized Check Microsoft DirectX Version'. I suspect that DirectDraw is not supported over a RDC session. The diginet application still runs, but the live video is not available (just a black box where the camera image would normally be).

Does anyone know how to resolve this (if it is possible)? I haven't tried a VNC connection yet, but I may give that a try... ;)

I also haven't been able to get the client application to work (another confusing application). I've got more work to do there...

One other note: Once the msgina.dll was restored, I also regained the ability to enable 'fast user switching' which allows me to log on to the box using one account while Diginet runs under another one. This frees me to do other things on the box while Diginet is running full-screen in the other session.

Hi fritzycat1, welcome to CocoonTech!

VNC should do the job, that's how I remote control my MCE HTPC (which uses DirectX as well). I can not imagine why camera software would modify the GINA, that just doesn't make sense. It sounds like this software is really clumsy.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes. the application is very clumsy. It really attempts to take over the PC to make it nothing other than a DVR security interface (and a lumpy one). I too was surprised to find that it modified the GINA. I'm hoping that the new GINA isn't required for the client (remote) application to work.

If anyone knows of other software that will work with this card, I'm all ears. The Diginet application not very open to customization or integration with other apps (i.e. MCE)

For now, I'll give VNC a go! thanks.

There are drivers on sourceforge which will make this card visible to most webcam applications. I personally prefer Active Webcam, but it can be a cpu hog if you are monitoring several cameras at a time (but it does work well). There are some other good packages out there, there are some other interesting threads about this card and software support in the Home Security forum, so you might want to check those out as well.

Thanks again.

I'll peruse a few of the other posts and tinker a bit more with this thing. The high frame rate and low CPU of kodicom/diginet card+software combination is sure nice. But I'm not much a fan of the software. I've worked with Active Webcam a while ago. It isn't bad, but as others have posted, it is a real CPU hog.

Well I haven't seen any other webcam software which has as many features, and uses less cpu, I think it's kind of normal when doing motion based processing. I am wondering how the kodicom software gets around it.

Back