CO detectors

About a year or so ago UL started requiring an expiration date on CO detectors. If you detector was manufactured before that it would probably not have that date.

CO detectors have their own internal sounders that emit 4 beeps then pause and repeat. Many panels do not have this tone pattern so there is no reversing relay for that application.

The manual says, "This product is designed to work reliably for 5 years after the installation date. The End of Sensor Life indicator will activate after approximately 5 years. . ." [my emphasis]

Maybe it is counting the powered hours to expiration?

I am not sure if they are using the same type sensor and System Sensor was just playing it safe, or different sensor types thus different end of life cycles. I don't know enough CO detectors to know.

Something as dangerous as CO, I don't mind replacing it at the "replacement date" -- trying to save $10-$15 a year isn't worth safety/lives, IMO.

I spoke with Bradon at AO today, and there is a date on the box of the system sensor units. Im not sure how this relates to the date inside. Im going to order one in the next day or two and we'll see

I spoke with Bradon at AO today, and there is a date on the box of the system sensor units. Im not sure how this relates to the date inside. Im going to order one in the next day or two and we'll see

It would be good to know. Mine did not have the date on the box, just on the inside of the detector.

I am thinking at this point maybe connecting them to the M1 is not that high of a priority, as it really limits your choices. The Kidde KN-COPP-B seems to have really good reviews (Consumer Reports, etc), plus it can be found for $21 on Amazon, and includes an LCD displaying showing the current PPM value.

My opinion is that connecting a CO to your alarm system is a HIGH priority. If by the time the detector sounds you are already affected by CO you may not be able to comprehend what is happening or have the ability to get out. At least the alarm system can summon help.

I went through NASA's Hypobaric Altitude Chamber and the effects of hypoxia are alarming. They gave us a simple connect-the-dots and very elementary arithmetic problems to do once we were "up in altitude". I thought to myself "this is going to be so easy, I can do this." Once we reached altitude, we removed our oxygen mask and started to work on the sheet. Well, after a very short time, 2+3 & 9-4 and connecting the dots became one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. I knew that I could answer them, but my brain would not function. It was a neat experience though. At a certain altitude (around 30,000 feet I believe), the water vapor in the air would condensate and form clouds in the chamber.

My opinion is that connecting a CO to your alarm system is a HIGH priority. If by the time the detector sounds you are already affected by CO you may not be able to comprehend what is happening or have the ability to get out. At least the alarm system can summon help.

Which is exactly the reason you should be buying non-UL listed detectors which alert immediately instead of after a several hour delay.

Back