Is CO detector a necessity?

jobenet

[SIZE=14.6667px]Hi, all. I met with a security technician recently for discussing the security methods I can incorporate in my home. Till then, I was unaware about the necessity of carbon monoxide detectors in our homes. He suggested me to go through this blog and I just went through.[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]CO is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas and we cannot detect it’s presence simply by smelling or seeing. I was wondered how CO could be produced in our houses. As I went through the blog, I came to know that even our fireplace, furnace, cigars, dryers etc could produce CO in a considerable amount. And it can be deadly poisonous if inhaled in a large amount as it reduces the capacity of blood to carry oxygen. So, please be careful about your surroundings and better if you could get a CO detector. Hope it helps you.[/SIZE]

My CO detector went off ast night in the middle of the night.

Turned out to be my batteries in the cold cellar boiling from equalise too hard. Stupid Outback equipment software never works properly and I forgot to turn it off manually before bedtime. I believe the cold cellar door must not have been latched well enough after I topped up the water levels. Battery temperatures went over 59C degrees and the sensing system went to XXXX until the temperature dropped below 59C again.

Turned on the HRV system and opened a few doors to get the stink out. Later is went of again with some remaining gases.

Meanwhile on the plastic case it has engraved into the plastic

....."If four beeps is heard leave the house immediately and call 911"

It was very hard to get back to sleep after all that excitement thinking I may not wake up again. LOL

In the 1980's my zoned second floor HVAC wasn't cooling enough in the summer (not for me). At the time purchased the largest power vent I could find.  I had a roofing company install it and I did the HV wiring for it.  It worked too well.  I had no CO detectors in the home at the time.  I started to have a weird smell in the house.  I thought it was natural gas at first.  I called the local gas company to check on the smell and it turned out to be CO coming from the top of the water heater.

I had created a negative air pressure in the home because I didn't have enough passive vents in the attic such that the power fan sucked the air out of the hot water heater vent.  I installed more passive vents on the roof and the problem was solved. 

You know, Pete, fear of creating a negative pressure is the reason why I never installed a powered roof vent. Growing up my father installed an attic fan -- man was that thing loud and powerful!

The attic fan here was a band aid fix for a poorly designed 2nd floor HVAC zone.  (WAF had something to do with that).

The second GC spend for added roof vents cost more than the original power vent installation.

Supplies were in the attic octopus wise to the bedrooms/bathrooms and there was only one return in the 2nd floor hallway.   

None of the second floor doors had bottom louvers such that if you shut the bedroom doors the air really didn't flow too well.

When we upgraded our water heater about five years ago, I splurged and moved to a power direct vent unit.  The furnace upgrade about eight years ago did the same.  Our gas fireplace is a direct vent unit.  I never want to worry about natural draft venting and negative pressure issues.  Only the log burning fireplace is natural draft and is always 'attended'..

With our air-tight and energy efficient homes these days, the whole game has changed and we are slowly catching up.

Trying getting woken up in the middle of the night, after pounding a serious quantity of margaritas, on your new boat, way out on anchor, by the CO alarm.  Reading comprehension suffers a bit when it's pitch-eff'ing black out at O'dark-thirty and you're hammered.  Eventually I figured out it was the 12v system voltage dropping too far (all that music playing during consumption of the aforementioned tequila) and not being able to power the CO detectors properly.  They, rightly, start bleating like an air raid siren, warning of dire consequences...  Oh, yeah, I did not go back to sleep well that night.  Slowly feeling the hangover creep in while awake... not fun.

Now there's a much larger 12v battery bank setup.  Although I should probably replace the detectors, they're at least 6 years old now and probably due.

I also have a home unit onboard that has a digital readout, along with a handheld CO detector.  If/when it trips I can at least confirm the PPM counts on other devices to avoid freaking out over false alarms.

Back