Automating thermostats with rules

hgupta1

So I finally have my Elk M1 integrated with my thermostats. (HAI Omnistat RC-80b)

Is it best to let the Elk to raise and lower temperatures throughout the day or should I use the internal programming of the thermostat change the temperatures?

Also, is there a way to tell the thermostat not to rely on the elk and to return to the default program?

I use the ELK and a RCS TR-40. I allow the thermostat to run the daily setpoints, and have the Elk setback the temp. and place the thermo on hold at that setback when armed away. Upon disarming the unit is returned to it's run mode. If it is a scorching day out, I have the option of using RMS from my phone to start the cool down or warm up, before returning home. I expect I will add a larger setback for vacation mode in the near future.
The reasoning is we both are self employed and have varying schedules. So while we vary the temp throughout the day to our likes, when no one is at home we don't need to keep it at those same comfort levels.

I use the ELK and a RCS TR-40. I allow the thermostat to run the daily setpoints, and have the Elk setback the temp. and place the thermo on hold at that setback when armed away. Upon disarming the unit is returned to it's run mode. If it is a scorching day out, I have the option of using RMS from my phone to start the cool down or warm up, before returning home. I expect I will add a larger setback for vacation mode in the near future.
The reasoning is we both are self employed and have varying schedules. So while we vary the temp throughout the day to our likes, when no one is at home we don't need to keep it at those same comfort levels.

It doesn't appear that the HAI omnistat will let me do that. It is my understanding that once a command is sent by the ELK M1, then the omnistat will not act on any internal programming, and there is no setting command from the Elk to let the thermostat take over again. In my opinion, it is kind of a bad design. But I am also new to it, so maybe it is hidden somewhere.

To get around it, I put all the times and temperatures prgrams into the ELK, but I think there probably is a better way.

Back