15" ELO Refurbs - Great deal

Does anyone know what the inside of a fridge door looks like, and how easy it is to take one apart? It's very tempting to install it there, perfect location and everything.

gfpdoorxsect.jpg

ski, how nice of you to cut open your fridge just for dan to see it. :)

i busted up a door once and it was foamed. thats some funny looking insulation in your pic ski, never seen that before.

Does anyone know what the inside of a fridge door looks like, and how easy it is to take one apart? It's very tempting to install it there, perfect location and everything.

I have one of these and it really doesn't run hot :)

Great idea but you have to be careful with your wire routing. You dont want the wires to knock over your liquid life bottles (Sam Adams, Corona's etc).

Hi All,

A few people were expecting to receive 12 volt units. These are all 120 volt, i.e. internal power supply.

This is actually good, because the 12 volt ET1525L, ET1545L, and ET1547L all stop working after a few years. The internal low voltage switching regulators fry and the backlight inverter has a design flaw that causes the a quick flash and then nothing after the lamps age a little.

The 120 volt units are rock solid. In fact, part of my business is swapping the entire internal chassis on 12 volt ET1525L !

Cheers,

Michael

PS: Pics and details on my bezel fab coming on Tuesday.

I definitely prefer the 120V unit, good to know. I ordered one as well, look forward to playing with it.

So, seriously, does anyone know what a Fridge door is usually made out of? I am concerned about cutting into the door, and find out that it is something that is very flammable, or as bad as asbestos.

So, seriously, does anyone know what a Fridge door is usually made out of? I am concerned about cutting into the door, and find out that it is something that is very flammable, or as bad as asbestos.

Not sure what is in them but frig doors are thick for a reason... aren't you worried about creating a condensation problem if you mess with the insulation? I'm sure the LG units with built-in TVs have some special engineering around the enclosure for the electronics so as not to have an insulation problem.

Man, don't cut no fridge open! (my red-neck dialect)

Either wait for an OLED screen that is flat enough to hang on the front, mount a LCD off the side, use a projector, get a counter-top or under the counter rig.... or get a fridge with one already build in.

BUT if you are insistent, go get a replace door, perferable used, do you work on it and if it works out, change your door out. I still think wiring will be a nightmare and there is no way this project will come out good.

However, good luck if you go for it. I would love to see it work, but I think there are 100 better projects =(.

Vaughn

Not sure what is in them but frig doors are thick for a reason... aren't you worried about creating a condensation problem if you mess with the insulation? I'm sure the LG units with built-in TVs have some special engineering around the enclosure for the electronics so as not to have an insulation problem.

I think you nailed it. Unless you can be sure that you've completely sealed the opening and insulated between the 2 drastically different temps, you are asking for trouble. And you will need to run the power, vga and usb through the door and then the body of the fridge, creating another opening to deal with.

Having said that, if you decide to do it AND pull it off, I will forever bow at the alter of Electron :huh:

Blast you all! There were still some of these left when I checked today! They were supposed to all sell out, and save me from HAVING to buy one! LOL

Santistuff, thanks for posting in the forums! Its nice to see a seller take interest in their products, and offer advice and answer questions. Just to clear up confusion you might want to edit the selling page.

The page has conflicting information:

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A UNIT WITHOUT A STAND.

"Included are: The monitor, stand, VGA cable, USB cable and power cord. The VGA AND USB CABLES ARE SHORTER THAN THE ONE I USUALLY SHIP. THEY ARE ABOUT 3 FEET LONG"

I'm in for one of these now, and have the perfect location in the wall to put it. Now to have to get a tiny little computer or something to use it to talk to the Home Seer server. (Translation: More money!)

Yee haw. I'm in. Looking forward to playing and my wife is excited to bring all the cameras up in quad view with a bit more "real estate" than the 8" we currently use. 8" moves to the M.Bed...Thanks, santistuff!

Blast you all! There were still some of these left when I checked today! They were supposed to all sell out, and save me from HAVING to buy one! LOL

Santistuff, thanks for posting in the forums! Its nice to see a seller take interest in their products, and offer advice and answer questions. Just to clear up confusion you might want to edit the selling page.

The page has conflicting information:

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A UNIT WITHOUT A STAND.

"Included are: The monitor, stand, VGA cable, USB cable and power cord. The VGA AND USB CABLES ARE SHORTER THAN THE ONE I USUALLY SHIP. THEY ARE ABOUT 3 FEET LONG"

I'm in for one of these now, and have the perfect location in the wall to put it. Now to have to get a tiny little computer or something to use it to talk to the Home Seer server. (Translation: More money!)

Yikes! That is conflicting information. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Ebay does not allow me to edit the body of the description so I added to it. There is no stand included.

-Michael

I was planning on using a 2nd door to work on. I am pretty sure I can deal with the wire etc, my main concern is that there is some sort flammable insulation material in the door. I just wish I could find out what exactly is in the door, and if the door can be taken apart by removing screws or something as simple as that.

Back