1-Wire Sniffer

ericvic

Would anyone be interested in a 1-Wire sniffer device? I have developed some code that I use internally but if there was interest I could clean it up and develop a small board for it to run on.

Eric

Would anyone be interested in a 1-Wire sniffer device? I have developed some code that I use internally but if there was interest I could clean it up and develop a small board for it to run on.

Eric

YES!! That would be a great help...... jt

That would be great Eric!

If your code could include a save feature with some descriptive terms that too would be nice. I keep a legal pad next to the HA server with all of the 1-Wire MAC / locations for the 4 1-wire networks I have configured. Typically though just utilize the last 4 digits in the MAC address.

Would it work by being the endpoint for the network (9097) or just a device sitting on any type of 1-wire network?

That would be great Eric!

If your code could include a save feature with some descriptive terms that too would be nice. I keep a legal pad next to the HA server with all of the 1-Wire MAC / locations for the 4 1-wire networks I have configured. Typically though just utilize the last 4 digits in the MAC address.

Would it work by being the endpoint for the network (9097) or just a device sitting on any type of 1-wire network?

The plan would be that it could sit anywhere on the network and it would output a serial stream with the decoded traffic. Haven't really thought about what other features it would have, just gauging interest to see if I should work on it.

The plan would be that it could sit anywhere on the network and it would output a serial stream with the decoded traffic. Haven't really thought about what other features it would have, just gauging interest to see if I should work on it.
To keep you from starting from scratch on this project, you may want to look at a similar open source project that has already done this.

See this site: http://dangerousprototypes.com/bus-pirate-manual/

Here's a summary of the interface features:

•Supported protocols:
◦1-Wire
◦I2C
◦SPI
◦JTAG
◦Asynchronous serial
◦MIDI
◦PC keyboard
◦HD44780 LCD
◦2- and 3-wire libraries with bitwise pin control
◦Scriptable binary bitbang, 1-Wire, I2C, SPI, and UART modes
•0-5.5volt tolerant pins
•0-6volt measurement probe
•1Hz - 40MHz frequency measurement
•1kHz - 4MHz pulse-width modulator, frequency generator
•On-board multi-voltage pull-up resistors
•On-board 3.3volt and 5volt power supplies with software reset
•Macros for common operations
•Bus traffic sniffers (SPI, I2C)
•A bootloader for easy firmware updates
•Transparent USB->serial mode
•10Hz - 1MHz low-speed logic analyzer
•Scriptable from Perl, Python, etc.
•Translations (currently Spanish and Italian)
•Enumerates as a virtual COM port over USB
•Can operate as AVR STK v2 clone programmer
•Access to PIC24FJ64 ICSP programming port

To keep you from starting from scratch on this project, you may want to look at a similar open source project that has already done this.

See this site: http://dangerousprototypes.com/bus-pirate-manual/
I've seen that one before and it looks like a nice little unit. My device will be dedicated to 1-Wire and will plug right into a 1-Wire network with a standard network cable. No fiddling with clips and such.

Eric

Interesting...the first thing I thought of was the bus pirate.

Funny thing, that is what I use for some "quick" stuff. Works pretty well...that is until you overload it (some of the busses I work on run well over 15MHz).

--Dan

Back