1-Wire slave legality

riprapindust

Eric, I am wondering if you have permission from Maxim to produce 1-wire slave devices, such as in the UV index meter? I am curious because I have not seen many commercial 1-Wire slave products outside of Dallas/Maxim. There is an official statement from Dallas back in 2004 on 1wire.org that answers question about slave devices. Sorry, I can't seem to provide the link because I am new member, but you probably have seen it already. How did you decide what unique ID and family code to use? It would be interesting to hear how you have approached this issue if you didn't contact Maxim.

The information I got from Dallas/Maxim is that as long as I have a 1-Wire chip of some sort on the board then I can create a slave. The UVI Meter has a DS18S20 temperature sensor on the board.

Eric

I guess they changed their policy because below is what they said back in 2004 about it.

Offical Dallas Statement on creating Slave Devices
Several people have talked about creating 1-wire slave devices using micro's. This is the offical Dallas position on such devices.

We asked for the offical Dallas position again on 7/06/2004. This was their answer...
"Dallas Semiconductor/MAXIM is in the business of manufacturing 1-Wire slaves. In order to maintain the structure of the network (i.e. assign unique node addresses to each device), Dallas must be the clearinghouse for that as well as maintain architectural control to avoid a chaotic situation on the network.

Dallas' intellectual property in the 1-Wire product area is structured around the 1-Wire slave devices. Regarding 1-Wire masters, however, the user is free to implement those in a variety of ways.

At this time we have not yet authorized anyone outside of Dallas Semiconductor to create 1-Wire slave devices. If you wish to produce such a device, please contact me off-list to discuss your needs." (David Smiczek)"

Is it true that as long as you hang a Dallas 1-wire device on the micro it would be considered legal?
Answer: NO, this is not true.

Is it true that Dallas will never use 0xFFh as a family code and therefore
it might be a good choice for a micro slave device?

Answer: NO, this is not true.

Assuming that Dallas is not going to use 0xFFh family codes, would the idea of using a 1-wire serial number device from Dallas hooked to the slave and having the slave device respond on the 1-wire network to a family code of 0xFFh with the serial number from the 1-wire device be a way of keeping
unique serial numbers?

Answer: Not true.

Regards,
--Brian Hindman,
Dallas Semiconductor MAXIM.

Back