Measuring electricity

Ranger Digital

Here is the scenario. Two buildings. One meter. Each building has its own main 200 amp service box. The monthly bill of course only shows total for both buildings as there is only one meter. Is there a way to determine how much power ONE buildings uses? Maybe something I can add to one of the main power boxes that registers something? Doesnt have to be automated as I dont mind reading at the box. Later I may want to automated though because, well, you know, it feeds the addiction. :)

I am assuming YES as anything is possible these days. Especially with the help of cocooners, LOL.

Any ideas?

Here is the scenario. Two buildings. One meter. Each building has its own main 200 amp service box. The monthly bill of course only shows total for both buildings as there is only one meter. Is there a way to determine how much power ONE buildings uses? Maybe something I can add to one of the main power boxes that registers something? Doesnt have to be automated as I dont mind reading at the box. Later I may want to automated though because, well, you know, it feeds the addiction. :)

I am assuming YES as anything is possible these days. Especially with the help of cocooners, LOL.

Any ideas?
How soon do you need it, Tuck? I´m working on a GUI for CL.

Any ideas?

Ranger - you mentioned buildings. Would this be used for revenue billing? Is this commercial, 3 phase power?

I have used E-mon D-mon revenue class meters for accuracy when billing tenants. The meters are a little less than $800 for a three phase 200A model with split CT's, but the kwh recorded is right on the money.

It's the software and hardware to remotely monitor multiple meters thats costs big dough. It's tough to justify the software cost with just a few meters so they need to read each month. :(

http://www.emon.com/

Any ideas?
How soon do you need it, Tuck? I´m working on a GUI for CL.

Anthony, no time soon. Its for the model home actually and our meter is on the same as the model home beside ours. Cant wait to see it!

The Energy Detective is one product that will do it, and can be automated/monitored. http://www.theenergydetective.com/index.html

Otherwise search for submetering.

wayne well that just looks too simple, LOL. Thanks. I think thats a good find.

Bravesir, cool. That piece looks a bit over my head just glancing at it, but I am sure i could figure it out. I would only put it on one main box as once I figured out one buildings usage, the other building would be the balance.

Will, while that looks like it would certainly fit the bill, one reason for looking for a way to do this is cost. The other option is a new meter seperating the services but the owner of the building is not wanting to spend money. Go figure.

If you have an RFCom wireless RF receiver then this kit will work for you.
http://www.cheapertronics.com/products.php?category_id=66

There is free software for graphing this in HomeSeer as well.
http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=8...amp;postcount=1

"... Measures real power usage (voltage*ampere) in steps of 1 Watt/Hr. ..."

These are lame, especially for the cost, and don't measure real power. They measure apparent power (S or VA). You get billed for real power (P measured in kW for instantaneous or kWh for total usage) so comparing this number to your electric bill is inaccurate and probably would cause some confusion.

Remember V*A=kW only works for dc circuits and ac circuits if your PF is 100% all the time. if you only ever power light bulbs. But nobody does that. Motors and solenoids are all reactive and reduce the PF from 100%. We all have motors and solenoids in our homes.

I'd stay away for this reason alone, but the communication is poor too. 30 second update at best...sad, so sad. :)

Im a little confused, does monitoring your electric use at the main panel help (in a single stand alone 200 amp service environment)? Is this more to see if the electric Co is accurately charging you for used electric?

Im a little confused, does monitoring your electric use at the main panel help (in a single stand alone 200 amp service environment)? Is this more to see if the electric Co is accurately charging you for used electric?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I monitor my power so I can see power demand from various appliances and see where my biggest users are and try to reduce my consumption some. I can also trigger various events if specific condtions exist. I can set up my own automatic cash totalizer to remind me how much my fun costs me since all my toys use electricity to run to keep me happy. I can see that my power meter is dead nuts accurate with my power meter - exactly for a month now.

Sounds like the thread starter wants to differentiate between two dwellings served by one meter.

I talked to WattNode last week about a project that I am doing. I was told that in 3 months they were releasing a new version of the WattNode that had a regular RS-485 connection. The price was going to be close to $300.00 . So I am going to wait until this version is out, and then get it.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Back