Schlage LiNK hardware now available at Lowes.com

electron

Administrator
Staff member
The Schlage LiNK hardware can now be purchased from Lowes.com. They also announced that they have increased the # of supported scenes from 10 to 100. The starter kit runs $299 (which includes the Z-Wave bridge), while the lock sets themselves run $199. Keep in mind that a subscription fee is required if you want to control these locks over the internet, using their service/application.

043156168385md.jpg

For those of you who aren't aware of the new Schlage LiNK product line, it is a line of Z-Wave enabled door locks and deadbolts. Check out the Schlage LiNK website for more info, including product info, installation manuals and more.

Update: While you can buy the lock right now at Lowes.com, it will also be available at your local Lowes stores sometime between May 25th and June 1st.

Oh come on Dan...you really think I'm going to click a link and read when I can simply post my questions here?? :(

So are you saying that for $299, you can have a controllable deadbolt? (assuming you have nothing else to start with) Or are there other hidden costs?

FYI, the deadbolt is not motorized (it uses a clutch). For remote access/Z-Wave control from inside or outside the home, you have to pay a monthly fee of $12.95. Support for Z-Wave control is also available from MiCasaVerde's VERA. If you go that route then you just need the lock for the $199.

Does anyone ever actually sign up for these products that want a service fee? Also, why not just make it a WiFi device with an open protocol for third party applications? You would end up selling more.

Sooo...no matter what, if I wanted to be able to lock my front door from my master bedroom, I'd have to pay their monthly fee?

Well, that made THAT decision easier. I guess I stick to my routine of checking all doors at night....

ASIHome, can you clarify what you mean when you say "the deadbolt is not motorized (it uses a clutch)"? I'm reading this as: it won't automatically lock/unlock the deadbolt, a human would have to turn the shaft to lock/unlock.

Does anyone know whether other Z-wave interfaces, such as the M1XZW, will talk to these devices?

The monthly fee is only required if you want to use Schlage's online service (either web based, or using their iPhone app) to control the lock.

There has been a lot of talk about these locks on the HomeSeer message board. From what I understand these locks can not be locked using Z-Wave, only the afore mention clutch can be activated or deactivated. The consensus on the HomeSeer message board is to wait for the Black and Decker Z-Wave dead bolts. These are supposed to be lockable via Z-Wave commands. The other issue is these new Z-Wave locks are using a new Z-Wave 5.0 library and most controllers can hold this library because it is so large. HomeSeer is working on support for this library but it's still in the works.

ASIHome, can you clarify what you mean when you say "the deadbolt is not motorized (it uses a clutch)"? I'm reading this as: it won't automatically lock/unlock the deadbolt, a human would have to turn the shaft to lock/unlock.

You have to physically lock the lock. The clutch enables or disables the lock from being able to be opened. The problems with the motorized version are going to be A: Battery Life, B: Most people's door do not close either completely or properly so you are going to have to manually lock it anyway and C: If your door does require some trickery to close properly the person who you let in will have to know this and get the door into the proper position before the lock tries to engage.

Personally, I will be getting the regular entry set and not the deadbolt as the deadbolt requires whoever you let in to turn the knob and re-lock when they leave.

Does anyone know whether other Z-wave interfaces, such as the M1XZW, will talk to these devices?

There are two devices that can talk to the lock today. The Schlage LiNK Bridge (requires monthly fee) and MiCasaVerde's Vera unit. The 128 bit encryption required by the lock to be included into a Z-Wave network prevents most devices from supporting it.

The monthly fee is only required if you want to use Schlage's online service (either web based, or using their iPhone app) to control the lock.

It also applies if you want to use the Bridge locally. If you do not pay the fee, you get a keypad lock and nothing else.

So if a hardware controller such as the Vera hardware has the ability to interface the lock, they still won't allow it without paying a monthly fee? That has to be the worst business decision ever, and I hope this product fails sooner than later, before too many people get burned on this.

So if a hardware controller such as the Vera hardware has the ability to interface the lock, they still won't allow it without paying a monthly fee? That has to be the worst business decision ever, and I hope this product fails sooner than later, before too many people get burned on this.

I think we got crossed up on this one. I meant locally using their LiNK Bridge product. If you use a MiCasaVerde Vera or future devices that support the 128 bit encryption, you would just buy the lock only, not the kit and you do not have to pay the fee.

I can tell you Vera works seamlessly with the Schlage Link. I purchased the Schlage link deadbolt followed the proceedures for Vera and BAM it worked!

Back