Premise zwave in Premise rs232 adapter available

Motorola Premise

etc6849

General overview of product

Protocol

I found a zwave controller by leviton that supports ASCII text over rs232 to control zwave lights and other devices! With it being rs232 I think it would be easy to integrate into Premise. The protocol looks very simple too, any thoughts? The one thing I'm not sure about on the protocol is if you statically assign the node address for each light or if this is dynamic. I like this particular protocol because you can also send commands to other zwave devices such as thermostats (luckily I still haven't bought a thermostat yet)... The device looks to be $100, so it's more affordable than the cooper version.

If anyone has a zwave Premise driver to post, please do and you'd be a hit on this forum :-D If I don't hear from anyone, I'll try to give this a first cut and hopefully one of you guys could to take a look. Also, if anyone has comments about zwaves reliability, please post.

I also looked for something similar for using Zigbee, but couldn't find it, so please post if you have seen something like this for Zigbee (rs232 device accepting ascii cmds is preferred).

Attachments

• leviton_rs232.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Mathew! I'll have to dig for some more specs. It looks like the online docs for the rs1-1rf spend 99.9% of the time talking about how to use it with the vnet software, it is mentioned in the appendix that third party control is available, but I can't follow it as well as the levitron zwave interface.

As a side note, do you think a zwave module is something a newer user like me can put together? I would love to use zwave as it seems to be readily available and there are door locks etc that work with the levitron rs232 to zwave protocol. I think it'd be cool to unlock my door with my cell phone in case I get locked out :)

Sure, it'd save me a lot of time of building and debugging my own module. If anything, I could simply use yours as a template to build my own, but I'm fine with using older modules provided I can still find the used hardware on ebay or some place. Please let me know the details on how to obtain it.

Thanks,

Ellery

Is anybody still interested in having our (now old) leviton Vizia RF driver?

-Damon

etc6849 -

When you address 'integrate', you should show the proper amount of respect. Damon is THE legendary Damon of
Premise/ Lantronix/Motorola/Cocoontech fame.....

Glad to see him on the forum!

...THE legendary Damon of Premise/ Lantronix/Motorola/Cocoontech fame.....
Glad to see him on the forum!
Damon is the 'Voice of Premise'. Premise users who have watched the original training videos and read his numerous posts in the original Support Forums, owe what they learned to Damon's extensive expertise.

Hopefully, like Jim, he will have the opportunity to stop by (frequently!) and answer some of our thornier Premise questions, share old Premise war stories, and fill Premise Downloads with drivers and source-code! :(

:(

It's not a module - it's a native driver (.dll). Not sure if that helps as much as you thought. But I'll get the C++ source code to you somehow as well.

-Damon

Thanks Damon! It's neat to hear from the guy in the videos I watched 6 months ago when I first used Premise (or any HA program). You guys (and gals) did a great job developing Premise.

Back