Wireless thermostat recommendation?

Madcodger

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a wireless thermostat that can be ised to control a zone valve and boiler (basic thermostat). Please note that the goal is not internet connectivity, but rather a situation where running cable from a particular room to the boiler area would be difficult.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know of a wireless thermostat like that.  But if your boiler and zone valve just require a simple contact closure, you could construct a wireless setup using a normal thermostat and a wireless remote contact closure relay.    The contact on the thermostat would cause the sender to transmit a signal to the receiver, which would close the relay and control the heating system.

Here's one vendor that sells such relays.

http://relaypros.com/Relay/Relay/Wireless

One thing to think about is what happens if the wireless link fails?  Should the boiler continue to run?  Should it stop?  Is there any supervision so that you know if the wireless isn't working?  I can see where each type of failure mode could cause problems.  So supervision seems desirable.

The words "boiler", "valve" and wireless raise SERIOUS questions about potential risks.

Consult with a local licensed HVAC technician.

If anything, the controls for the boiler should be local to it, with hard-wired connections to any valves.  It should only be a thermostat that has any wireless connections involved.  This because you DO NOT want any wireless problems to introduce risk of unsafe conditions with a heating plant.

Nothing is impossible to wire, some are indeed more complicated than others, but convenience and/or cost-containment should not be put ahead of safety.

Thanks for the replies.

Only the stat would be in the distant room, with controls at the boiler. I think we may have found a suitable device but will wait until it’s installed and working to report back. This is actually for my father-in-law who has a single room in his house that gets much colder than others because the stat is in another part of the house. Anyway, will report back if he goes through with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back